Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Beethoven - Variations on "Judas Maccabeus"
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:11 pm 
Site Admin

Beethoven's variations WoO.45 on a theme from G.F. Handel's oratorium "Judas Maccabeus" (the famous aria "See, the Conqu'ring Hero comes"). This was recorded today with my cello partner Wim Grin.
Beethoven - WoO.45 - Variations on a theme from Handel's "Judas Maccabeus" ( 12:58 )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:05 pm 

Hi Chris,

Great job on these variations! I think you played it with aplomb. There's a lot of precision playing required there along with some occasional fussy ornamentation as well. The cellist sounds quite accomplished too.

I was thinking back to your Brahms Sonata for Violin and Piano. You're fortunate to have found some partners with whom to collaborate on these works. Do you ever perform chamber works in public, or just enjoy playing them at home? Either way, I think it's a wonderful experience, a good deal of fun, and a valuable adjunct to your solo repertoire.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks David :D These are not 100% perfect but quite acceptable I think.
Playing ensemble something that every pianist should do if they have the chance. I have no performing experience except for the yearly house concerts of my viola partner. Next year I will perform in a house concert with my new violin partner this year (we're working on the Franck Sonata, bit of a handful that one :shock: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:15 pm 

I listened to your Beethoven earlier, while peeling potatoes for dinner (call it time management), and I enjoyed it a lot. There were some memorable moments (I should search in the score for them), when I clearly perceived three instruments playing while it was just a tone illusion. Cello & piano is my favorite chamber instrument combination, incidentally. For curiosity's sake, how long have you practiced your part and how long have you previously rehearsed together?

Anyway great hausmusik playing!

Memo for myself: ask Techneut if he still thinks that Chris is a terrible pianist.

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:47 am 
Site Admin

alf wrote:
I listened to your Beethoven earlier, while peeling potatoes for dinner (call it time management), and I enjoyed it a lot. There were some memorable moments (I should search in the score for them), when I clearly perceived three instruments playing while it was just a tone illusion. Cello & piano is my favorite chamber instrument combination, incidentally. For curiosity's sake, how long have you practiced your part and how long have you previously rehearsed together?

Thanks Alf. Yes cello is nice to play with, it blends better with the piano than any other string instrument, IMO. I had really only seriously practiced this set during the last week, and I think we'd only played through it once or twice before that. Some of the variations took two or three takes. It is not a hard piece but there are some tricky moments as always in Beethoven. I'm not sure how much Wim had practised it, but he's known the piece for a long time so that helps. Maybe next time we can sort out the last little creases.

But ! Italians eating potatoes for dinner !! What is the world coming to !!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:51 am 

techneut wrote:
But ! Italians eating potatoes for dinner !! What is the world coming to !!! :shock:

We don't eat them, we just peel them off. Mediterranean diet, I believe it's called. :twisted:

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:09 pm 

This is a very nice recording, Chris. I enjoyed it very much. Great, that you are posting chamber music from time to time! I didn´t listenw with score, but it sounds accurate and has very nice expressive moments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

musicusblau wrote:
This is a very nice recording, Chris. I enjoyed it very much. Great, that you are posting chamber music from time to time! I didn´t listenw with score, but it sounds accurate and has very nice expressive moments.

Thank you ! We will probably be able to go one better on this next time. It's not quite perfect yet. A good piece to practice ensemble playing, this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:38 pm 

Alas! I can listen to music again (had to result the media defaults) and this was the first recording I listened to.

Very well played from what I can tell. Though I never heard it before. How come the cello sounds clearer than your piano? Where did you place the recorder? Or were there more than two microphones?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:55 am 
Site Admin

juufa72 wrote:
Alas! I can listen to music again

Yes ! Too bad ! :P

juufa72 wrote:
Very well played from what I can tell. Though I never heard it before. How come the cello sounds clearer than your piano? Where did you place the recorder? Or were there more than two microphones?

This time I put the Edirol behind me, i.e. further away from the cello. The balance is therefore better than in the previous recordings but still, a cello can generate an enormous sound that easily overpowers a grand even with the lid open. Maybe I should just play louder.