All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Waltz Aminor No 19 Posth.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:19 pm 
give me some comments please!!

http://www.freewebtown.com/khoatran_pia ... 0No.19.mp3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

I had not heard this Waltz before, even though we have a recording on the site :oops: Isn't this a great place to learn !

This must be a very early work I guess, not a very good piece really compared this his more mature works. But you play it very well, cleanly articulated and with the right dynamics and rubato.

There is one thing though. You seem to have a habit of shortening the last beat of the bar. Is that done unconsciously or is it a choice you make ? Waltz tempo should be a bit flexible of course, but if anything, I think you should linger on beats rather than shortening them. It just sounds a bit nervy.

Apart from that, nothing but praise. Well done !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

The first time I heard this piece was on this site. Then I found it in one of my books.
I'm wondering what edition you are playing out of. Does it show a dotted eighth note connected to a sixteenth note and then the two quarter notes? (2nd measure and all others like it) Because mine is two eight notes followed by the two quarter notes. Maybe this is your style of rubato? And the end sounded like a measure was missing, or there weren't enough beats in one of the meaures. I know that versions or editions can vary greatly. I liked your tone and your grace notes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:18 pm 
the version I took it from Robert (he emailed me last time)...
Thanks for your common...
Pianolady, i think your version is different from mine as you described... you can ask Robert for the copy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

And i thought I heard one or two reading mistakes, but can't be sure as I do not know the piece nor do I have the score. Could just be clumsy notes of the juvenile Frederic :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:40 pm 
techneut, according to Robert's article in the site, this piece was written in 1847 (6 or 7 years before Chopin passed over) then one could assume this is obviously not an early work.....Am I right?
This piece is a theme in the movie "Chopin-Desire of Love," which I saw last year. The movie showed that when Chopin first met George Sand, he was playing this piece??? Maybe he made up this piece at the time he met her...well, it's just an assumption. The version of the piece in this movie is a combination of violin and piano. It sounds really cool!! I like the movie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
techneut, according to Robert's article in the site, this piece was written in 1847 (6 or 7 years before Chopin passed over) then one could assume this is obviously not an early work.....Am I right?

Well, Robert is the expert. But I can't believe these were composed 2 years before his death. That would make them contemporary with the late Waltzes and Mazurkas Op.64-68. The difference is just too great. Could it be Robert meant it was published in 1847 ? I'd put the composition date rather somewhere between 1817-1825 (that is, before his official Opus 1) but of course I could be all wrong about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:57 pm 
Site Admin

I thought the movie was awful. But you are right about this piece being in it.
And the copy of the waltz I have is the same as the way Robert plays it on this site. That's why I asked about the rhythm.
If you want to watch a better Chopin movie, try Impromptu. There's a lot more music in it and the acting is better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:26 pm 
I will check out this 2morrow, since there's another source for the piece in my Conservatory's library :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:50 am 

Good! Good singing tone and RH phrasing, and steady musical LH accompaniment. Give us more! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry, seems like I missed this topic. Very often, new topics are not highlighted when I login so I kind of loose track.

I like your recording, a bit unusual use of rubato but that is of personal taste. However, I am pretty sure you must get back to the score and check a few things out. The complete A-parts sounds correct while the B-part have a few errors.
Check the score at bar 31. The modulation from A minor to major comes in that bar. The theme is not repeated as a whole but just for 4 bars. Also, at the trill in this B-part. You play D instead of D#. You do not do that in the beginning so it is kind of strange you all of a sudden do this here as it should be played exactly the same way. In bar 37, you play C instead of D and this mistake is repeated in bar 41. You skip bar 56 completey (as pianolady said) and in bar 53, you play an G as lowest bass tone of left hand while it should be E. So back to the score and correct these things :).

About the composition. The date (2 years from Chopin's death) is written on the sketch but the sketch is really just a sketch and far from a completed composition. This probably the reason.