Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Sonata in Eb Major Hob XVI:52 by Haydn
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:46 pm 
Hello everyone! This is my first"audition on this site. It's the Sonata in Eb Major Hob XVI: 52 (the first movement only). I hope you enjoy it. Comments and feedback are appreciated :D

Admin edit: Attachment deleted, recording is up the site

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:15 am 
Site Admin

How good to see Haydn is at last getting attention from pianists. These sonatas have been so neglected traditionally, and yet they seem to me very essential repertoire.

Your recording is well nigh perfect I think. I'm sure you know of some imperfect notes but I could hardly hear any. Nice and quirky, as Haydn should be, technically totally assured, and very good dynamics. Is it a live recording (I think I heard someone cough somewhere) ? Interesting piano sound also, a bit like a fortepiano but not quite as tinny and flat. Very suitable for this music, more so than a concert grand. What make is it ?

All in all, great job, and thanks for submitting it. If you want it on the site, let me know (please provide some bio information in that case).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:25 am 
Thank you for your wonderful feedback. That would be fantastic if you could put it on the site. Yes, it was a live recording. I recently attended a piano camp where they had some of the students play on the radio live. The piano was a Yamaha baby grand, I think. As for my bio:

My name is Eddie Liu (short for Edward), and I am currently 16 years old. I reside in Eastern Washington, where I take lessons from Barbara Miller. I have studied piano for about 10 years, with many different teachers. I was fortunate enough to have a grand piano for most of my years of study. I was also fortunate to have an older sister who is 18 (and has two years more experience than me), to help guide me with difficulties. My favorite composer at the moment is Frederic Chopin. I have future aspirations with music, primarily with a minor (possibly major) in piano performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:50 am 
Site Admin

He, a Yamaha baby grand ! I'd never have thought. Was pretty sure it was some older model upright, dunno why really. You audience was really good though, they must have been spellbound.

Ok Eddie, I will put you up the site as soon as possible. Welcome to PianoSociety and keep the good recordings coming. What about the other movements of that Sonata ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

Wow. Your runs are very clean and fast. 'Papa' Haydn never sounded better. Great job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Your runs are very clean and fast.

Indeed they are. Yet, it was in the runs that I felt the only little niggle - they are not always as even as they should be. Having said that, I'd be happy if I could play 'em like that 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

Me too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

You are up the site Eddie !
Changed your bio to the 3rd person and replaced 'currently 16 years old' by 'born in 1990'. One should never use words like currently and recently as they quickly will become meaningless over time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:47 pm 
Thanks. I didn't learn the other movements because the yearly competition that I focus on, MusicFest, has a max of 4 classes, and my teacher wanted me to practice all 4 instead of learn a whole sonata and have 3 weaker pieces. I'll record my Prelude and Fugue No. 6 WTC Bk. 2 by Bach next, but the (sound) quality will pale in comparison to this because I'll be using a crappy mic instead of radio equipment >_<

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:12 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I'll record my Prelude and Fugue No. 6 WTC Bk. 2 by Bach next, but the (sound) quality will pale in comparison to this because I'll be using a crappy mic instead of radio equipment >_<

An interesting choice. Not the most popular WTC pair but it will be good to have it on the site - we have all too little WTC II. That particular prelude is rather treacherous I think.
Well I hope the sound will turn out allright.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:25 am 

Very well played. You play with fire and passion, and your dynamics come out really great! Also, the melody bows are there, regardless whether you have the melody in the right or left hand. Congratulations!

... And for me too, I would be happy to be able to play the runs like you can!

I am looking forward to your Bach WTC2 No6 recording!