Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Your Top 10 Composers
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:23 pm 

I was just wondering, what's the top ten composers, so the 10 composers you like the most? I want to do a kind of survey :lol:. I'll give points to composers who are in the top ten, so if you put a composer at 1, it gets 10 points, at 2 it gets 9 points, etc. till at 10 it gets 1 point.

Here's mine:

1. Chopin - 10
2. Schubert - 9
3. Liszt - 8
4. Beethoven - 7
5. Rachmaninov - 6
6. Debussy - 5
7. Schumann - 4
8. Prokofiev - 3
9. Haydn - 2
10. Bach - 1

Chopin is my favorite composers, I also like Schubert and Liszt, and my top 5 would include Beethoven and Rachmaninov. I like French music (Ravel would be no. 12 maybe, his works are wounderful), Schumann has written some works I really like, Haydn is my favorite classical composer (not counting Beethoven) and Bach is only because he is the best composer IMO, although not my favorite. I would put Brahms on 10 if Bach wrote pieces that sound like that but are not that good. Prokofiev is my favorite 10th century composer (not counting Debussy).
No place for Mozart, I don't really like his works that much. Some of his Sonatas are nice to hear, but his works tend to sound similar, even if you know them very well. The style is just very similar in all works I think. Haydn was more original I think. Don Giovanni is IMO his best work.
No place for Verdi, Puccini, Gluck, Purcell, Rossini, Donizetti, Bellini etc., because I don't really like operas.
No place for Händel and Scarlatti, Händel because I don't like his keyboard works (although his orchestral music can be really good), Scarlatti could've been 11 maybe, I like his music, but just not enough for a top 10 place.
No place for Berlioz, Wagner, Bruckner and Mahler because they haven't written many piano works, and I don't like their style, I prefer the Brahms side.
I don't really like 20th century (although Shostakovich's first violin concerto is one of my favorites in that genre) and modern composers (I dislike Cage, Copland, Stockhausen, Xenakis very much).

Feel free to share yours.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:04 pm 
1. Beethoven - 10
2. Liszt - 9
3. Chopin - 8
4. Alkan - 7
5. Schubert - 6
6. Mozart - 5
7. Brahms - 4
8. Bach - 3
9. Mendelssohn - 2
10. Rachmaninoff - 1

I share your feelings regarding composers who didn't contribute good or even any piano works, so I didn't put Wagner up there or Handel. This is why Beethoven is the ultimate summit: the greatest achievements in *EVERY* form. Who has a better piano sonata, piano concerto, symphony, opera (although Mozart fans would scream at me), mass, or string quartet?

My next composer is Liszt, and for reasons that I think he was the greatest composer in the 19th century after Beethoven/Schubert. This is of course opinion, but it's opinion from someone who has really tried to delve into every avenue of Liszt's music. I've almost the entire Leslie Howard CD collection from Hyperion, all of the Naxos series, countless rarities like the Symphonic Poems for Two Pianos, Faust for Two Pianos, even Mosonyi's piano transcriptions of his Graner Mass... Although I'm still searching for an illustrious recording of the Dante Symphony on Two Pianos (does it even exist?) I've read all three Alan Walker biographies: Liszt is my guy =) He is definitely underrated today and he has an immense pool of magnificent works that outshine everyone else in the 19th century to me (obviously excluding Beethoven).

My most recent discovery, however, has been Charles Valentin Alkan. This guy should be a pianists hero right after Chopin, but because of his consistent neglect, people don't even know who he is. What they're missing is the most difficult and most original piano works in the entire literature. Busoni championed him and once said he belongs in the hall of fame with Chopin, Brahms, Liszt, and Schumann as the greatest piano composer after Beethoven. I don't know why pianosociety hasn't made any recordings of his works; he has some miniatures, preludes, and smaller works that are not difficult and sound amazing. He's much more interesting to me than say, Scriabin or Sorabji; their virtuosity somehow dries up when Alkan's name is said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:39 pm 
for what exactely you give your points??? i ask this, because i have for example 2 composers, who are my favourites in a different aspect. Liszt, for example, is my favourite composer in a spiritual way. I love him for his inventive and really "new" music, which is so important for our 20th century. So here i judge about the effect on music of subsequent times and the philosophical meaning of his music, no matter, whether it sounds beautiful or not.

On the other side Bach. He is my favourite, when i just judge the beauty and structur of the music itself (in case of Bach it is just perfect), so without any regards to the spiritual level of his music.

So, again, what do you give points for?+

warmest regards
gregor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:45 pm 
Well, my guess is that if you can give a top 10 list of your favorite composers, then the first on your list gets 10 points and it trickles down accordingly to the last on your list who gets 1 point. Buy maybe the OP can clarify.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:56 pm 

The points are just to see which composer has the best score in average. So in your case, when you mention 2 names, I'll give both composers 10 points. So when enough people have posted their top 10, we can count all points together and see which composer comes out the best.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:05 pm 

1. Chopin - 10
2. Rachmaninoff - 9
3. Liszt - 8
4. Mahler - 7
4. Nyman - 7
6. Ligeti - 5
7. Tchaikovsky - 4
7. Grieg - 4
7. Sibelius - 4
10. Beethoven - 1

Last edited by Kschyschtoff on Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:51 pm 

here's mine:

1 rachmaninoff 10
2 liszt 9
3 chopin 8
4 beethoven 7
5 brahms 6
6 mendelssohn 5
7 mozart 4
8 haydn 3
9 mozart 2
10 tchaikovsky 1

while composing I've got always an picture in my head 'beethoven'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:00 pm 
ok, so here is my top-ten list

1. Bach/Liszt - 10
2. Herr Richard Wagner - 9
3. Anton von Webern
4. Beethoven
5. Arnold Schönberg
6. Franz Schubert
7. Frédéric Chopin
8. W.A. Mozart
9. Biber

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:54 am 

Here are the final results:

1) Liszt - 44
2) Chopin - 40
3) Beethoven - 32
4) Rachmaninov - 26
5) Schubert - 20
6) Bach – 14
7) Mozart – 12
8) Brahms – 10
9) Wagner - 9
10) Mahler – 8
10) Webern – 8

Honorable Mentions: Mendelssohn, Alkan, Nyman

In detail:
Liszt - 8 + 9 + 8 + 9 + 10 (44)
Chopin - 10 + 8 + 10 + 8 + 4 (40)
Beethoven - 7 + 10 + 1 + 7 + 7 (32)
Rachmaninov - 6 + 1 + 9 + 10 (26)
Schubert - 9 + 6 + 5 (20)
Bach – 1 + 3 + 10 (14)
Mozart – 5 + 4 + 3 (12)
Brahms – 4 + 6 (10)
Wagner - 9
Mahler – 8
Webern – 8
Nyman - 7
Alkan - 7
Mendelssohn – 2 + 5 (7)
Schönberg – 6
Ligeti - 5
Debussy - 5
Haydn - 2 + 3 (5)
Tchaikovsky - 4 + 1 (5)
Schumann - 4
Grieg - 4
Sibelius - 4
Prokofiev - 3
Biber – 2

Friedrich Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:35 am 
Quote:
Here are the final results:

1) Liszt - 44

Ah, that's where he should be anyway; Liszt is the father of modern pianism.