Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Daniel Barenboim
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:20 am 
Site Admin

Did anyone watch Barenboim and Beethoven tonight? It was on PBS - a program called, "Great Perfomances". It was really great. I think the concert was in Berlin, one of several concerts he did there - all Beethoven sonatas. Anyway, the camera shots were nice. It was like being there, only better. You could see every move he made, except when the camera man went to a face shot, which were too many (who cares about his face so much, just stay on the hands, please.) After four or five sonatas,(and one of them was the "easy" one, which made me feel better, because I can actually do all right with that one) Barenboim gave a master class to Lang Lang, Jonathan Biss, and another man whom I can't recall right now, but it was very, very interesting to hear how these top-knotch players think and play. Watch for this program on your TV listings. It's well worth the time.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:36 pm 

Yes I TIVO'd it. Wasn't that an unexpected treat?! I really admire Mr. Barenboim; he refuses to reduce his virtuosity to mere sport; he always puts the art as number one.

Is it just me, or did he look not well? Maybe it was the lighting. Regardless, his playing was great. (I haven't watched the masterclass yet.)

Ain't PBS grand? :mrgreen:

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

PJF wrote:

Is it just me, or did he look not well? Maybe it was the lighting. Regardless, his playing was great. (I haven't watched the masterclass yet.)
Pete

He did look a little heavier to me. And he was sweating a lot. I suppose any of us would if we were doing that. Did you see that he wore his shirt open, no tie? I never saw that before on a concert pianist. Guess he wanted to appear more casual. Wait to you see the master class. Very interesting to see how he teaches Lang Lang and the others about interpretation. Also, I see that you can buy this entire 5 dvds (I think) of all the Beethoven sonatas concerts and master classes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:46 pm 

I have mixed feelings about Barenboim as pianist (and can't say something about his conducting qualities).

The only recording I have from him is Bach WTC1. It is played dynamical wise very expressive, with sustain pedal, here and there rubato. Almost in a romantique manner. But he played not very precise, at least measured with other heroes like Glenn Gould or Richter. It is certainly not played in a baroque style what claims to be "historical" correct. But maybe, Beethoven Sonatas are something what suits his style better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

Has anyone listened to his Chopin Nocturnes? I consider them to be of very high rank and perhaps even the best. A bit different than "standard" Chopin nocturnes and mostly because his use of rubato with small hesitations, like he give it a tiny consideration before moving on. Here you can listen to samples if you are interested:
http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/mus ... enboim.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:40 am 

Hands down, his renditions of the Chopin Nocturnes are my favorite. I love his style; he plays more in the way that Cortot, Rubenstein, Horowitz played; they are a dying breed. (Not if I can help it!)

My Professor and I were all excited upon hearing about the CD's being released.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:33 am 
Site Admin

PJF wrote:
Hands down, his renditions of the Chopin Nocturnes are my favorite. I love his style.

I agree, Pete and Robert. I put the cd on whenever I am in need of a calm atmosphere(which is many times :) ) His runs and other flourishes are exquisite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:34 am 

His Nocturnes are my favorite as well! Maybe we can finally be unanimous about something. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:06 am 

schmonz wrote:
His Nocturnes are my favorite as well! Maybe we can finally be unanimous about something. :-)

Nope. Rubinstein for me. :D

But Barenboim's Brahms 2nd Concerto is my favorite recording of that work. His Nocturnes are amazing though, beautiful playing. And his recordings with his late wife Jacqueline DuPre are extraordinary, pinnacles of chamber music playing. Also, he recorded the Berg Sonata in the 70's. One of the best versions of that (along with Gould) that I've ever heard. Iagree with Olaf about his WTC though; it didn't seem centered to me. Oh well, he plays everything and conducts; he's allowed a slip up here and there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:49 am 

I heard he askes 60 grand for a recital :shock:

while composing I've got always an picture in my head 'beethoven'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:58 pm 

rachmaninoff wrote:

He deserves it, eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

rachmaninoff wrote:

Which is nothing compared to what some stuck-up pop stars can ask for a performance ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:17 pm 

I caught all of the TV recital except the c minorOp.10 #1 last night. It was very involved and emotional playing for the most part although in some movements ( Op.22 mvt's 1 and 3, Appasionata mvts 2 and 3) he seemed reserved or disconnected. There was some sloppy passagework in Op.22 mvt. 1 and strangely in Op.49 #2  ???, perhaps he didn't practice that so much; still it was great to hear the Op.49 Sonatas played well for a change. High points for me were Op.22 slow movement and last movement (don't like the other movements anyway), Op. 49 #1 and the first mvt. of the Appasionata. I know Barenboim has his detractors, but I've usually enjoyed his playing. The high points of this concert for me were truly extraordinary music making.