Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Arrangement of Tchaikovsky, Souvenir d'un lieu cher, Melodie
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:00 pm 

I made this arrangement of Op. 42 no. 3 for church and thought I'd share in case anyone wants to add to their repertoire of "pretty things that aren't too hard" :) Difficulty about equivalent to the easier Seasons by Tchaikovsky.
http://imslp.org/wiki/Souvenir_d'un_lieu_cher,_Op.42_(Tchaikovsky,_Pyotr)#For_Piano_solo_.28Reichgott.29

Post subject: Re: Arrangement of Tchaikovsky, Souvenir d'un lieu cher, Melodie
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you, Heather, it's very nice of you to share this!

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:56 pm 

Heather,
Good job! I printed it and played through it a couple of times. I like the way the turns are notated - it leaves little doubt about how to play them. (Good for a non-academic like me.)

Question about the tied notes in measures 45 and 46: are these completely accurate? Seems to me that the bottom notes would be tied, too, to give the effect of a single-note melody. (The idiom is so prevalent in piano music that I automatically did it this way.)

Too bad we don't have a dedicated spot for things like this. Perhaps a cross-posting in "resources" would help.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:40 am 

Hi Stu,
There are two melodies going on there. The violin melody is the 16th notes on the first beat, then a half note. The piano melody is the top voice of the eighth-note chords. If I were more skilled with notation, I'd have written it clearly in two voices, half note with stem going one way, and eighth notes with stems going the other way. I know some ways to do multiple voices in Lilypond, but everything I came up with resulted in colliding stems. So I wrote tied eighths instead of a half note. You're right, it is a bit confusing...
Heather

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:39 pm 

Thanks, Heather. I'll try playing it that way.
I've paid no attention to notation software and have no clear idea of what's involved.

By coincidence, I went to church with my wife this AM and sat right behind the piano. I liked the offertory piece and asked him what it was and it turned out he had just written it and was willing to talk about the software. So I got exposed to it twice in one week.
He actually gave me the hard copy he had, since he can print out another, and corrected a couple of mistakes in pencil. What an age we live in!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:51 pm 

That looks nicely written out, with plenty attention to detail like phrasing marks etc.

Just wondering: what is your view on writing out pedal markings? I've written out several scores - in fact I've just finished one! - and can never decide whether to go through punctiliously indicating them all, or whether to take default, or implicit, positions (for music of this era/genre) such as that the performer understands to pedal by the harmony.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:08 pm 

I think it only makes sense to write in counter-intuitive pedal markings, unless the arrangement is for students first learning pedal.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:08 pm 

StuKautsch wrote:
Thanks, Heather. I'll try playing it that way.
I've paid no attention to notation software and have no clear idea of what's involved.

By coincidence, I went to church with my wife this AM and sat right behind the piano. I liked the offertory piece and asked him what it was and it turned out he had just written it and was willing to talk about the software. So I got exposed to it twice in one week.
He actually gave me the hard copy he had, since he can print out another, and corrected a couple of mistakes in pencil. What an age we live in!

Cool!! I love being able to have access to new music so quickly :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:21 am 

Let me add my thanks too, Heather. Just what I need for church.

The B-natural in bar 50 is presumably a mistake.

The tied 8ths in the left hand in bars 60 and 62, for what are really off-beat 4ths, look a bit odd, and I wondered why they aren't notated similarly to bars 50-52, for example. But then I saw you were just being true to the original where they are also -strangely- written like that.

Is there a reason why you end the piece on bare octaves, where the original has a chord?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:53 pm 

Thanks Rainer for helping me proofread.
The B natural you mention is a mistake and I will correct it.
The tied notes are indeed odd and it seems to make sense to alter them to quarter notes.
The ending was a choice of mine -- the last RH note comes from that long pp arpeggio and I felt it sounded better continuing to emulate the violin line, ending on a quiet single note with just a pizz.-like bass note underneath (which I pedal briefly). I can also see why someone might prefer a chord there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:05 pm 

A corrected version has been uploaded to imslp.