Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: M&H A or Yamaha C2/C3 or ??
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:59 am 

Hello,
I am new to this forum and really enjoy the the music everyone has uploaded...thank you. I am a newbie adult learner. I started taking lessons about 8 months ago and have been plugging along making pretty good progress (I think). I wondered if I may gather a few opinions on a grand piano. I currently play on a digital and my instructor has a steinway BB and up until a month or so ago I honestly didn't hear the difference. I felt really proud the day I actually could hear what all the fuss is about. :) Now, my digital seems to sound worse every day.. probably just me but I really would like to get something better. Progress I suppose. I have spent the last few weeks reading, playing, reading some more etc on the different models. I was looking at a couple of restored early 1900 M&H AA's but decided against it for logistical reasons and just didn't have a good feeling about either. The Steinways are just too expensive so I have already eliminated them. Questions are:
1.. Should I buy new or used? I would say that low/mid 20's is probably my max I want to spend. I have only been looking at used up until now but now I think that maybe if I just spend a little more and get something new I won't need to think about spending more in the future as I am in my mid 40's now. If I buy something 15 years old or more, then I might be looking at restoring in another 10 so whatever savings I may pick up now will eventually be lost.
2. I may be able to hear the difference between my digital and a steinway but between say a yamaha C2 and C3 or a M&H A or a Schimmel or Boston or kawai, etc.. I don't hear as much as you all may or feel that much difference. They all sound really nice to me. So, should I just get a cheaper new grand since I can't really tell the difference or will that come in time?
3. Right now I am looking at Estonia 190, M&H A, Yamaha C2 or C3 (may get a good deal since they are being eliminated for the CX models).
Any advice? I have a good size home so room isn't a problem.
thanks so much
Danny

Post subject: Re: M&H A or Yamaha C2/C3 or ??
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Danny,

Welcome to Piano Society! :)

You already know that I have a Yamaha C2. I didn't know they were being phased-out. That's interesting. I still like my piano though.

~Monica

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:59 pm 

Hey Monica,
They are being called C1X, C2X, C3X etc.. My local yamaha rep called to see if a C2 or C3 could still be ordered (maybe get a nice discount on older model) but he said they didn't have any in stock. I did read in another forum that the new CX series is much better and the sound is greatly improved---not as light or bright or whatever term was used. :) Not sure of pricing though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:31 am 

Hi Danny and welcome. Given your situation, I would try to find a fine pianist or advanced piano teacher whose opinion you could depend upon to guide you. To judge a piano's sound and action (the keyboard mechanism) is, frankly, not something that a novice can do. It takes years to develop the ear and hear the difference between makes of pianos, and experience playing on several to appreciate one action from another. Additionally, each piano even within makes has it's own character. Additionally, the "voice" of the piano can often (usually) be adjusted by an expert. Your in a difficult spot trying to predict your future: will you stick with it and advance, will you give up in a year or two, ...? I agree totally that Steinway pianos are way over priced. Personally, I own a Baldwin grand, and so have all my teachers. I have also found the Yamaha C7 to be a fine instrument (larger than what you're looking at). I would not be worried about a piano that is even 15 years old, if it is a fine (or at least good) quality instrument. Much fine music can be performed on an upright instrument too. In the world of pianos, size does matter (bass string speaking length). Given the choice between a tiny grand piano (5'2") or even a small one (like 5'8") I might want a really fine and tallish upright just for sound, but the grand action (keyboard) is more capable. At this point you are presumably not so capable, so a fine upright could provide years (perhaps even decades) of beautiful music making. Again, If I were you, I would find some experts to help me shop, and I would recommend asking *why* one piano over another. If you can go as high as $20K-$25K, then I would try to buy a really fine instrument that wasn't new, so you wouldn't have to pay $50K-$75K, rather than buy a new cheaper make or grade. If you go for a grand, try to go for at least 6'3" if you can. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:43 pm 

Hi,
If you're still looking (or a new reader is), here's my experience with the piano search.
Six years ago, our children's grandma offered to buy them a grand piano, "cost no object". The kids were 16 and 18 at the time, having played piano since they were 5.
We auditioned the famous names and had finally decided on a 6' 1" Bosendorfer, when someone told us about the Estonia.
The 6'3" grand we played had everyone in tears. We returned to play it another day, and it was still simply wonderful.
The Estonia 190 has such a sweet, singing tone, and allowed the most expressive, poignant, soft notes to be played.
At the same time, it gave you probably 80% of the Bosendorfer's power when the music required it.

So, our final decision was to get the Estonia, buy a new car for the older child, and still save grandma some money!
Don't get me wrong - the kids still felt that the Bosendorfer was the best of all the great brands they had tried.
However, it was the Estonia which finally came home to stay, and which has moved every music lover who's visited us - quite a few of them to tears.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

Very interesting, musicaljoy. Thank you for sharing! :)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:38 am 

Hmmm,

I've never heard of the Estonia, although I did find their website. The recordings that they posted sound great, but anyone would make sure that they were great.

Scott