Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Poulenc - Improvisation No. 15, “Hommage à Édith Piaf”
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:51 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8463
Didier wrote:
pianolady wrote:
I think it's been years since you've listened to one of my recordings!! :D


You mean it's been years since I've posted a comment to one of your recordings ? Yes possibly but meanwhile I've listened to some of them... :wink:

I'm glad to know that, but I wish you (and other members who hardly comment) would comment more often. I've said this before-- I always feel like I spend a lot of time with certain members and don't get anywhere close to the same amount of attention back from them. Just a little peep now and then would be nice. It makes it feel less one-sided here on the forum. :)

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poulenc - Improvisation No. 15, “Hommage à Édith Piaf”
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:11 am
Posts: 489
Location: Lyon, France
Hello Monica,
Beautiful piece and charming rendition ! I've never been a big fan of Edith Piaf (I have even to confess that I can hardly suffer her voice). But here, if there is a nostalgic climax, we are (fortunately) far from Piaf's expressionism. This music suits you beautifully, so that you have definitely to complete the whole series...

_________________
François
"Je préfère ce qui me touche que ce qui me surprend"
François Couperin (1668-1733)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poulenc - Improvisation No. 15, “Hommage à Édith Piaf”
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:50 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8463
Francois de Larrard wrote:
Hello Monica,
Beautiful piece and charming rendition ! I've never been a big fan of Edith Piaf (I have even to confess that I can hardly suffer her voice). But here, if there is a nostalgic climax, we are (fortunately) far from Piaf's expressionism. This music suits you beautifully, so that you have definitely to complete the whole series...

Hello Francois,
Thank you for the kind words! :) You're certainly making me feel like looking into these Improvisations again...sooner rather than later.

I too am not a fan of Piaf. In fact, I've only heard her sing La Vie en Rose one time, but that was enough... :wink:
I would much rather listen to the likes of Ella Fitzgerald or Rosemary Clooney.

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poulenc - Improvisation No. 15, “Hommage à Édith Piaf”
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:13 pm
Posts: 206
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Very nice and convincing playing! (But I have to admit it is not really my kind of music.)

Joachim


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poulenc - Improvisation No. 15, “Hommage à Édith Piaf”
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:11 am
Posts: 489
Location: Lyon, France
pianolady wrote:

I would much rather listen to the likes of Ella Fitzgerald or Rosemary Clooney.

I'm a big fan of Ella Fitzgerald ! Nothing to see with Poulenc, however, but what a great artist... And what a light and fresh voice she kept even being 60 and older...

_________________
François
"Je préfère ce qui me touche que ce qui me surprend"
François Couperin (1668-1733)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poulenc - Improvisation No. 15, “Hommage à Édith Piaf”
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:36 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8463
troglodyte wrote:
Very nice and convincing playing! (But I have to admit it is not really my kind of music.)

Joachim

Thank you, Joachim. That's okay....I'm happy you took the time to listen and comment. :)

Francois de Larrard wrote:
I'm a big fan of Ella Fitzgerald ! Nothing to see with Poulenc, however, but what a great artist... And what a light and fresh voice she kept even being 60 and older...

Yes, she was great!! Just a small sample below - but really - just perfection!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhqJ_fK1 ... BF96306EB0

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poulenc - Improvisation No. 15, “Hommage à Édith Piaf”
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:11 am
Posts: 489
Location: Lyon, France
pianolady wrote:
Francois de Larrard wrote:
I'm a big fan of Ella Fitzgerald ! Nothing to see with Poulenc, however, but what a great artist... And what a light and fresh voice she kept even being 60 and older...

Yes, she was great!! Just a small sample below - but really - just perfection!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhqJ_fK1 ... BF96306EB0

Thanks for this gift, Monica. Another thing I like with her way of singing is her diction (does this word exist in English ? I mean we can understand every word she sings). What a great lady !

_________________
François
"Je préfère ce qui me touche que ce qui me surprend"
François Couperin (1668-1733)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poulenc - Improvisation No. 15, “Hommage à Édith Piaf”
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:26 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8463
Francois de Larrard wrote:
Another thing I like with her way of singing is her diction (does this word exist in English ? I mean we can understand every word she sings). What a great lady !

Yes, diction is the correct word. And you're right about that she has good diction. Also, she's always in tune and makes it sound so easy to hit the high notes. Francois, do you like Nat King Cole? He's another one of my favorites. A voice smooth as silk!

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poulenc - Improvisation No. 15, “Hommage à Édith Piaf”
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:11 am
Posts: 489
Location: Lyon, France
pianolady wrote:
Francois de Larrard wrote:
Another thing I like with her way of singing is her diction (does this word exist in English ? I mean we can understand every word she sings). What a great lady !

Yes, diction is the correct word. And you're right about that she has good diction. Also, she's always in tune and makes it sound so easy to hit the high notes. Francois, do you like Nat King Cole? He's another one of my favorites. A voice smooth as silk!

Yes, I do ! Actually, I am less familiar with his production, but my son, who is also a jazz fan, let me quite recently realise how good is Cole. So much of good music to listen, and so little time to do so ! Have a good sunday,

_________________
François
"Je préfère ce qui me touche que ce qui me surprend"
François Couperin (1668-1733)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poulenc - Improvisation No. 15, “Hommage à Édith Piaf”
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:45 pm
Posts: 2815
Location: Germany
Hi Monica,
it´s a pleasure to listen to this recording, because it´s played so expressively and contains many subtle dynamic differentiations. Your pedaling is excellent! My only suggests for improving are also, that you could pay more attention on the "ceder"-passages in the middle of the piece, but that´s a matter of taste. And there is a small thing in bar 22 counted from backwards from the end and the parallel bar in the first part: there the notes "b" and "a-flat" in the tenor are missing or hardly audible. But these are absolutely minors in a splendid recording like this. I only mention it, because I have noticed that at the both places, where these notes are.

Hope you are well and your piano still works. :wink:

With best regards
Andreas

_________________
Link to my videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/musicusblau


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poulenc - Improvisation No. 15, “Hommage à Édith Piaf”
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:22 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8463
Hi Andreas,
Hmmm....I'm at work now and can't check out if I missed those notes, but I will when I am home tonight. Thank you for pointing that out.

My piano works fine, but the person who plays it could use some work. :wink:

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poulenc - Improvisation No. 15, “Hommage à Édith Piaf”
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:45 pm
Posts: 2815
Location: Germany
Pianolady wrote:
Quote:
My piano works fine, but the person who plays it could use some work. :wink:


What about giving some piano lessons? Could be a good job for you. :wink:

_________________
Link to my videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/musicusblau


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poulenc - Improvisation No. 15, “Hommage à Édith Piaf”
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:40 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8463
I used to do that! But I meant that I need work...as in, I need help. Like someone needs to fix me so I can play better. :)

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poulenc - Improvisation No. 15, “Hommage à Édith Piaf”
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:45 pm
Posts: 2815
Location: Germany
Quote:
I used to do that! But I meant that I need work...as in, I need help. Like someone needs to fix me so I can play better. :)


So what about some four hands playing? Would be great f. ex. to do another Haydn-symphony or the other movements of the Farewell- symphony. What do you think? May be this is the kind of work you had in mind?

_________________
Link to my videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/musicusblau


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poulenc - Improvisation No. 15, “Hommage à Édith Piaf”
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:56 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8463
Sorry Andreas, but I don't have any extra time these days. I've entered a piano competition which will be held in the end of May and I have to devote most of my practice time to the pieces I will play.

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group