Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Satie, Debussy and Piazzolla (Andrés Vela Segovia)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:42 am 

Last edited by Andres Vela Segovia on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Satie, Debussy and Piazzolla (Andrés Vela Segovia)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:04 am 
Site Admin

Hello and welcome. Good playing on all three pieces ! I think the Debussy is a bit too slow, at least in the outer sections, and the Satie is so overpedaled that it sounds like you are playing an instrument without dampers. Maybe that was the intention, to create one continuous floating blur ? I'm not sure it works. It ends a bit too abruptly too.

This piano sound has something really unpleasant about it, especially in the forte sections. I can't precisely explain why, maybe some more sound-savvy people here can. Maybe it's the reverb ? Do you hear it yourself ? Can something be done about it ? Different recording setup or remastering ?

If you intend for your recordings to go on the site, you need to comply with the runes for file naming and ID3 tagging, see this topic

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5115

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:46 pm 
Thanks for your comment, it's a very interesting point of view. I'm going to upload my interpretations following the instructions you have given me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:45 pm 

It's good playing (obviously) but I concur with Chris about the piano sound. I think it's mostly an issue in the forte treble notes when there's a sort of harsh, unrounded sound that made me wonder for a moment if it was a digital piano. The pedalling in the Satie is quite interesting, I thought - a sort of perpetual sonic backdrop.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:31 pm 
Thanks andrew.
I have 2 pianos. A beautiful piano Ronisch which is a bit out of tune, and Kawai digital piano. These recordings are made with the digital piano, to obtain a recording tuned. I'm adding "Adios Nonino" by Astor Piazzolla played on my piano Ronisch. If you believe the best option updload versions in Ronisch piano despite not being totally in tune, just a matter of making them recording.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:53 pm 

Nice to meet you, Andres.

Debussy - very nice; I don't hear anything funny about the piano through the speakers

Piazzolla - well played; however, even through the speakers I found myself wishing there was not so much reverberation. I should note that I listened to the second uploaded version, not the third. This would be a nice addition to our collection.

Satie - personally, I like this a little faster, but each to his own. Too much reverb for my taste, but then Satie's music is so subjective (IMHO) that some listeners will like this. As an aside, I find it hard to play this piece without heavy use of the sostenuto pedal, and pedaling in general is just part of the piece. A digital piano has no sostenuto, right? So perhaps the reverb and sustain pedal are the only available route.

The ending is written like that... but many people put an implied fermata over the last two chords to take the edge off the abruptness. We have several recordings of the piece already, so we're already covering several interpretations and there's room for one more.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:50 pm 
Thanks StuKautsch. I'm still discovering this site, I like everything I'm seeing, and would be honored to be part of "piano society".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

I never knew there was a piano version of Adios Nonino. I assume it is not by the composer ? I'm not sure if it works well in this form, it is rather static. The piano sounds rather distant and a bit distuned. It does not have the glaring edge of the digital recording and in that respect is better. Some background noise around 3:20, sounds like a passing tram or such.

Piazolla's music is quite the craze here in the Netherlands ever since the wedding of our then crown prince with Maxima Zorreguieta. That priceless moment when Maxima shed a pretty tear when Adios Nonino was played on the bandoneon made everybody love her even more.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:34 pm 
I wonder if I am in the right way in my application to be part of the category of artists. Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Andres Vela Segovia wrote:
I wonder if I am in the right way in my application to be part of the category of artists. Thank you!

Sure you are, and we will be taking steps towards it. We'll expect to you to be a regular contributor, both in terms of posting recordings
and posting comments. We do not like it when people sign up, submit their 3 recordings, and then never are seen back again.

Please submit a photograph that we can put on your page.

And I need to know about your name. Is "Vela" part of the surname, or is it just a "second first name" ? Double names are a pain in the bottom for various reasons, and I prefer to list you as "Andres Segovia" . I guess nobody will confuse you with your famous namesake :)
In the ID3 tags (which are otherwise fine) you have written it without spaces: AndresVelaSegovia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:45 pm 
Thanks for the answer! I am currently enjoying vacation travel, with very low signal wi-fi, so I will not post for about 2 weeks. As I return to my home respond with my picture, and already I love to participate in the forum and not just post my interpretations. Again thank you very much and I reconnect when back to Buenos Aires!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:50 am 
I tried using your site, but I have not found myself enjoying it. Dislike ocuparles your space or time, so I dropped my attachments, and I tried to close my user without success. Thank you for your attention and wish you much success.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:25 am 
Site Admin

Ok, you have been deleted. Your posts will be deleted soon.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

I suppose it's better that people leave PS 'officially' than just sneaking off. I'd have liked to know if it was something particular that made him change his mind though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:31 am 

I think it's apparent from the thread. He wasn't happy with the feedback he received nor with the requirements for tagging, photo etc.

(P. S. I am all for having a high bar artistically, but I do think we need to allow for names from any nationality... many Latin American names have two surnames and it is definitely worth the effort to have them display properly.)