Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Bach - WTC II completion :) :)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:51 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9575
Location: Netherlands
And finally, the last 2 pairs of WTC II. Phew. I believe all of my WTC re-recordings are a world better than my first versions from 2006-2008. They'll have to do FTTB but it would not surprise me if some time from now I get the urge to start all over again...

Bach - BWV 892 - Das Wolhtemperierte Clavier II - Prelude and Fugue No.23 in B major (6:20)
Bach - BWV 893 - Das Wolhtemperierte Clavier II - Prelude and Fugue No.24 in B minor (4:40)

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bach - WTC II completion :) :)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:48 pm
Posts: 2000
Location: U.S.A.
Hi Chris,

And you completed the WTC II. Fabulous!

Does this signal that you'll be moving on to the Partitas now? :)

David

_________________
"Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities." David April


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bach - WTC II completion :) :)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:09 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9575
Location: Netherlands
Oh, the Partitas... that other holy grail of pianism. I haven't dared contemplating them yet.

I don't think I can produce a complete Bach. In the bad old days I tried to take Bach by storm, but my Blitz got bogged down when I realized he was more powerful than I. It stalled after the first English suite and now I find myself still agonizing over No.2. There's also a lot of older Bach recordings I really need to replace. Maybe one day.... when I'm 64 :D

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bach - WTC II completion :) :)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:48 pm
Posts: 2000
Location: U.S.A.
Hi Chris,

Do you think the Suites might be a bit easier than the Partitas? You like Bach's music so much. So you'll carry on with it somehow, I'm sure.

David

_________________
"Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities." David April


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bach - WTC II completion :) :)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:07 pm
Posts: 692
Location: Carbondale, IL
Hi Chris,

I saw your post on facebook, what an accomplishment of no small feat. Doing a complete Bach recording does seem to be a task on line with climbing Mt. Everest or a challenge of similar and immense difficulty. Downloading these and will listen to them at home.

_________________
"I don't know what music is, but I know it when I hear it." - Alan Schuyler
Riley Tucker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bach - WTC II completion :) :)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:45 pm
Posts: 382
Location: New Jersey, USA
Congratulations, Chris.
I like these two a lot better than the end of WTC I; I think the fugues in particular are more accessible for the audience. In the last one, I felt that you had better control over the fugue than the prelude, which is the way to go in performance since the fugue is always second.
As usual, your fugue phrasing kept its consistency, which makes it more enjoyable for the musicians in the crowd.

As an aside: When you redo these, are you able to separate prelude from fugue? I.e., can you redo one without having to redo the other? Seems a shame to burn a bridge if you don't have to.

_________________
stu kautsch


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bach - WTC II completion :) :)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:32 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9575
Location: Netherlands
Rachfan wrote:
Do you think the Suites might be a bit easier than the Partitas? You like Bach's music so much. So you'll carry on with it somehow, I'm sure.
I don't like Bach's music, I love it :D Today I was listening to the aria Schlummert ein, Ihr matten Augen, IMO the most beautiful music ever written, and it brought tears to my eyes as always. I wish there were such beautiful things for the piano. But the hammer box can ultimately not match strings and voice in sheer beauty.

The English Suites are easier than the Partitas, but not that much. They're still large and complicated pieces. The French suites are easier again, shorter and simpler, but can still be quite a handful. And then there are the early Toccatas, bursting with youthful vigor. There is a lot to do still.

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bach - WTC II completion :) :)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:35 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9575
Location: Netherlands
pianoman342 wrote:
I saw your post on facebook, what an accomplishment of no small feat. Doing a complete Bach recording does seem to be a task on line with climbing Mt. Everest or a challenge of similar and immense difficulty.
Well it's not as dangerous :) But certainly not something many people will do. Maybe, just a wild guess, one in 10000 people or so ? Likely even less. Snobbishness lurks just around the corner now :D

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bach - WTC II completion :) :)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:45 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9575
Location: Netherlands
StuKautsch wrote:
I like these two a lot better than the end of WTC I; I think the fugues in particular are more accessible for the audience. In the last one, I felt that you had better control over the fugue than the prelude, which is the way to go in performance since the fugue is always second.
As usual, your fugue phrasing kept its consistency, which makes it more enjoyable for the musicians in the crowd.
Thanks Stu. I have usually far more trouble with the preludes than with the fugues. Mainly as preludes are often fast and ornamented. A lighter action would do wonders but I have to make do with the somewhat sluggish Gaveau. Glad to hear the voicing is sort of ok. I've been bashed about that by several people over the years, and it seems to have helped a bit :)

The closing fugue of book I is a tortuous affair indeed, like ascending a steep mountain and almost falling down from exhaustion once or twice. It's not for the fainthearted. The victory is immense though once you proudly plant the flag on top. In comparison, the closing fugue of book 2 is a bit deadpan. I'd have liked something more monumental to close the WTC.

StuKautsch wrote:
As an aside: When you redo these, are you able to separate prelude from fugue? I.e., can you redo one without having to redo the other? Seems a shame to burn a bridge if you don't have to.
I've only done that one one or two occasions, and then very quickly after. Typically I redo both, as the piano sound and my own disposition could be different another day.

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bach - WTC II completion :) :)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:19 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8514
Congratulations on your great accomplishment.

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bach - WTC II completion :) :)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:11 am
Posts: 738
Location: Edinburgh, UK
My congratulations too, that's a feat to be proud of.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bach - WTC II completion :) :)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:46 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9575
Location: Netherlands
Thanks all for the thumbs up. Now to redo the book 2 B flat major pair which I seem to have forgotten :oops:

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bach - WTC II completion :) :)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:35 am
Posts: 1418
Location: Gulfport, MS, USA
techneut wrote:
Oh, the Partitas... that other holy grail of pianism. I haven't dared contemplating them yet.

Do it! I did two of them (2 and 6); just avoid thinking of them as a set to complete and you'll do fine.

Congrats again on your second completion of the WTC. I do expect you to fix 887 one day. :wink: (I'm sure you will.)

By the way, I like the works in progress forum. I might take advantage of that; you know I never finish working on anything. But all I have to record on these days is my mom's Yamaha which is, while not completely horrible, not a Steinway.

_________________
"Z Czernym poznałem się na panie brat—na dwa fortepiana często z nim u niego grywałem. Dobry człowiek, ale nic więcej..." - Fryderyk Chopin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bach - WTC II completion :) :)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:20 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9575
Location: Netherlands
Terez wrote:
Do it! I did two of them (2 and 6); just avoid thinking of them as a set to complete and you'll do fine.
That might be hard ;-)
OTOH I don't complete lots of projects that I start so why not this one. I'll get to work on them then.

Terez wrote:
Congrats again on your second completion of the WTC. I do expect you to fix 887 one day. :wink: (I'm sure you will.)

I was practicing that one along with the others but somehow forgot to record it :oops:

Terez wrote:
By the way, I like the works in progress forum. I might take advantage of that; you know I never finish working on anything.
Provided you DO make progress, yeah this will be the forum for you :-P

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bach - WTC II completion :) :)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:35 am
Posts: 1418
Location: Gulfport, MS, USA
techneut wrote:
Terez wrote:
Do it! I did two of them (2 and 6); just avoid thinking of them as a set to complete and you'll do fine.
That might be hard ;-)
OTOH I don't complete lots of projects that I start so why not this one. I'll get to work on them then.

Any idea which you'll do first? I think I will do 5 next, but I've been saying that for a few years.

techneut wrote:
Terez wrote:
Congrats again on your second completion of the WTC. I do expect you to fix 887 one day. :wink: (I'm sure you will.)

I was practicing that one along with the others but somehow forgot to record it :oops:

You didn't forget 887. That's the one we discussed elsewhere. :wink:

techneut wrote:
Terez wrote:
By the way, I like the works in progress forum. I might take advantage of that; you know I never finish working on anything.
Provided you DO make progress, yeah this will be the forum for you :-P

Eh, it's a lot of pressure. Also, I am never alone with a piano any more, which is frustrating. I might have to start practicing on a digital, which is not a good idea but better than not practicing at all.

_________________
"Z Czernym poznałem się na panie brat—na dwa fortepiana często z nim u niego grywałem. Dobry człowiek, ale nic więcej..." - Fryderyk Chopin


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group