Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Rozsa - Bagatellen Op.12
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:57 am 

Hi Chris,

I know Miklos Rozsa as a film composer and music director, and never knew that he had written any piano solo works. Your recording these comprise a nice addition to the site's offerings. I enjoyed listening to all five. They are all colorful in different ways, very pleasant and definitely more modern in in their idiom.

Not to stray too much off topic, but in the 1940s there was a genre of film music which I would call film concertos for piano and orchestra. In the 1950s they got a lot of play in radio broadcasts and at live pops concerts. I think of Hubert Bath's Cornish Rhapsody from Love Story, Charles William's Dream of Olwen from While I Live, Richard Addinsell's Warsaw Concerto from Dangerous Moonlight, and, of course, Miklos Rozsa's Spellbound Concerto from Spellbound. A latter addition in the 1960s was Leonard Pennario's Midnight on the Cliffs from Julie. All are in neo-romantic style, and it's hard to dislike any of them, but I think Rozsa's Spellbound Concerto is tops. Anyway, this is another dimension of Rozsa's composing. I'm not sure that these pieces are played now as much as they were formerly.

David

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:56 am 
Site Admin

Rachfan wrote:
I enjoyed listening to all five.
I guess you skipped no.3 then :)

Rachfan wrote:
A latter addition in the 1960s was Leonard Pennario's Midnight on the Cliffs from Julie. All are in neo-romantic style, and it's hard to dislike any of them, but I think Rozsa's Spellbound Concerto is tops.
I'll have to listen to that concerto then. I never realized Pennario was a composer. An enormously prolific recording artist he was.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:02 pm 

I tried myself playing No. 3, but gave up trying to make sense of it!

Rosza has a piano concerto, besides the violin one hw wrote for Heifetz and the double one, for violin and violoncello, written for Heifetz and Pitiagorsky. He was well-regarded as a composer, he was.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:52 pm 

Hi Chris,

The bagattellen I missed was No. 4. So I listened to that one just now and I must say it was played well too.

Back in the early 60s I attended a Pennario recital. He played Mozart, Chopin, Schumann, Debussy and Prokofiev. For his main encore he played his own piano solo transcription of his "Midnight on the Cliffs". I thought it was sensational! I met him backstage and he kindly autographed my program. He was very nice. I was hoping that the piano solo version would be published. I wrote to Pennario and he said that it was indeed taking a long time. I pestered the publisher. Eventually a simplified piano version became available. It was at an intermediate level as I recall. I no longer have it. The original must be a bear to play, given the huge, sweeping ongoing arpeggios in the right hand. Of course he just rippled them off given his prodigious technique. I think that original version might be obtainable now from sheet music stores. Probably few would be able to cope with it. Reminds me of Earl Wild's lush piano transcriptions of the Rachmaninoff Songs. They're amazing... but so few can do them justice.

Here is the piano solo transcription:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UElEWl5DbM

David

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:01 am 

Hi Richard,

At YouTube I just watched/heard Leonard Pennario playing the Rozsa Piano Concerto. It was dedicated to Pennario who gave the premiere performance with the Milwaulkee Symphony. It does have a modern sound, in moments a bit Bartokian perhaps, yet very original and effective. Pennario was a pupil of Isabelle Vengerova who also probably terrorized students Barber, Kallir, Foss, Bernstein, Bonaventura and Graffman among others, but they all went on to have big careers. As when I attended the Pennario recital I mentioned earlier, I noticed in this video that Pennario used to sit such that his forearms, including elbows, were parallel to the floor. The wrists and hands were level as the the tops of the forearms enabling neutrally and naturally extended arms. Through his flexible wrists he allowed just a bit of down flexing of his hands by slightly raising the wrists for playing sequential chords, octave passages and molding slurs. This is exactly what I try to do, as ergonomically it's the safest way to play the piano. Pennario had it all together there.

I'd recommend to others that they hear this Rozsa Piano Concerto if they are not already familiar with it. Being "serious music" so called, it's certainly a departure from his lush film music heard in the "Spellbound Concerto", but it reveals another facet of his genius.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack Chris' thread here, but did want to plug Pennario playing the piano concerto.

David

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:21 am 
Site Admin

What a popular thread this has become :P
I checked out the Spellbound Concerto and it did nothing at all for me. Much ado about nothing, as old William would say. I greatly prefer these early and ardently nationalistic little pieces.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:31 pm 

techneut wrote:
What a popular thread this has become :P
I checked out the Spellbound Concerto and it did nothing at all for me. Much ado about nothing, as old William would say. I greatly prefer these early and ardently nationalistic little pieces.

You better tackle his sonata now! He only seems to have four compositions for the piano, so you can also have a complete cycle there!

The Spellbound It is al very nice and all that, but I much prefer the real Rozsa. Only today I was asked if I was interested in buying a CD of his film music (suites arranged not by him, but by a fellow Hungarian — Zador if my mind does not fail me.) but I left it behind for others to purchase.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:29 pm 

Hi Chris,

Yes, the Spellbound Concerto is pure cinema--schmaltzy. But you should listen to Rozsa's real Concerto for Piano and Orchestra played by Pennario and the Milwaulkee Symphony. It's a totally different world.

David

Last edited by Rachfan on Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:03 pm 

Rachfan wrote:
Hi Richard,

At YouTube I just watched/heard Leonard Pennario playing the Rozsa Piano Concerto. It was dedicated to Pennario who gave the premiere performance with the Milwaulkee Symphony. It does have a modern sound, in moments a bit Bartokian perhaps, yet very original and effective. Pennario was a pupil of Isabelle Vengerova who also probably terrorized students Barber, Kallir, Foss, Bernstein, Bonaventura and Graffman among others, but they all went on to have big careers. As when I attended the Pennario recital I mentioned earlier, I noticed in this video that Pennario used to sit such that his forearms, including elbows, were parallel to the floor. The wrists and hands were level as the the tops of the forearms enabling neutrally and naturally extended arms. Through his flexible wrists he allowed just a bit of down flexing of his hands by slightly raising the wrists for playing sequential chords, octave passages and molding slurs. This is exactly what I try to do, as ergonomically it's the safest way to play the piano. Pennario had it all together there.

I'd recommend to others that they hear this Rozsa Piano Concerto if they are not already familiar with it. Being "serious music" so called, it's certainly a departure from his lush film music heard in the "Spellbound Concerto", but it reveals another facet of his genius.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack Chris' thread here, but did want to plug Pennario playing the piano concerto.

David
I am a much worse hijacker than you are and I have not yet been given the bum's rush, so maybe you are safe for now!

This must have been my first Rozsa and it did surprise me a little, but now I like it too. I believe that to be the only recording and it is no longer available, Funny that, because both Chandos and Naxos have recorded a great part of his music and there are at least four recordings of the violin concerto (and I have them all!) Of his sonata I only know of one recording, dating from the '50s, as for the Bagatelles, I believe Chris's is the only recording available.

That is the best way to play and I wish I could do that too! The times I manage it I cannot believe what happens!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

richard66 wrote:
as for the Bagatelles, I believe Chris's is the only recording available.

Hm, what about the two complete sets on YouTube ?

richard66 wrote:
That is the best way to play and I wish I could do that too! The times I manage it I cannot believe what happens!

What is the best way to play :?:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:36 pm 

techneut wrote:
richard66 wrote:
as for the Bagatelles, I believe Chris's is the only recording available.

Hm, what about the two complete sets on YouTube ?

I meant commercially available recordings.

techneut wrote:
richard66 wrote:

What is the best way to play :?:

Pennario's. By the way, the recording of the sonata I mentioned, it is by Pennario.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:16 pm 

Hi Richard,

Yes, I agree. At first hearing I thought the piano concerto was a bit Bartokian. (I should add here that years ago, at first I had to hold my ears listening to Bartoks concertos, but now I really like his 1st and 2nd concertos). The Rozsa has much originality and modernity, and although it might never be a favorite, I'd still give it a high rating. It's certainly very well crafted. I'm surprised that there is only Pennario's recording of it. Maybe someday it will be rediscovered.

David

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:24 pm 

Rachfan wrote:
Hi Richard,

Yes, I agree. At first hearing I thought the piano concerto was a bit Bartokian. (I should add here that years ago, at first I had to hold my ears listening to Bartoks concertos, but now I really like his 1st and 2nd concertos). The Rozsa has much originality and modernity, and although it might never be a favorite, I'd still give it a high rating. It's certainly very well crafted. I'm surprised that there is only Pennario's recording of it. Maybe someday it will be rediscovered.

David

Actually, there are two recordings by Pennario, one the video and the other (also on YouTube) comes from an LP.