Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dohnanyi, Postludium, Op. 13, No. 10 from Winterreigen
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

Rachfan wrote:
Yes, I'm well familiar with Dohnanyi's "Variations on a Nursery Rhyme". It's very witty, droll and satirical in imitating the styles of other composers. You can't help but smile.
I always found this piece to have a too high Tom and Jerry factor. It probably means I have insufficient sense of humor :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:56 pm 

I have the variations on a CD, taken from an LP. I suspect I will need to clean it in future. Audacity does that quite nicely, as long as it involves only removing the clicks and dividing, say, a concerto recorded in one track, into three. I recently did that with my version of the Magic Flute and it was a great improvement.

As for recording... I was waiting for the weather to settle to have the piano tuned, but then, of course, I still have the voice recorder issue. With the piano, for once, I am thoroughly satisfied. It is funny how a big piano is not as loud as a console - and I open the lid when I play - and how it is wonderful to have an uncluttered keyboard. I suppose only those who have suffered can feel bliss.

I opened a topic which also has to do with new recordings, so I do not clutter yours: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5792

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:05 pm 

Hi Richard,

I'm glad you're liking your piano. Once it's tuned, I think you'll like it all the more.

Today I did maintenance on the Baldwin L. I took the action out and put it on a couple of artist benches. First I adjusted a few hammers to ensure that they are all level. Then I used a narrow brass brush (resembles a tooth brush, but a little larger) to do a few forward, outward swipes over the tops of each hammer to clear any metalic residue from the grooves. Next, I applied teflon powder with a narrow artist's brush to the shank knuckles to improve velocity. Finally I tightened up the action, although it didn't need much. Before putting the action back, I vacuumed out the case. Then once the action was in, I vacuumed the red felts over the agraffs and the black tops of the dampers. Finally, I took a piece of steel wool and rubbed it lengthwise up and down (just two strokes is all) on all the all steel strings to remove any possible rust specks. With A/C on during the humid summer, it's unlikely there was any rust, nor could I see any, but it's a good precautionary measure anyway. I'm sure the piano appreciated the TLC! :)

David

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:36 am 

David, I had a listen to your Dohnanyi Postludium. It was a pleasure to hear, and it is my first time to have. I like the way you shape the phrases, and the transition into the sturm and drang section. The ending of three chords is quite ingenious, I tip my hat to the composer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:45 am 

Hi pianoman,

Thank you for finding so much to like in this short piece! The beginning of the piece, as I would hear it when first practicing it, seemed familiar. Then it dawned on me that it's similar to Schumann's Fantasy! I too like the ending. I think it takes a great composer to make a shift like that which will not disappoint the listeners. Reminds me of one of the Scriabin Preludes I listed here--Op. 37, No. 1 in B flat minor. After all the gorgeous polyphony, Scriabin was able to thin out the texture and to shape a most poignant and unforgettable ending. Here Dohnanyi was every bit as capable.

Thanks for listening and commenting.

David

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:28 pm 

Very nice to see some Dohnanyi played here, although the consistent off-beat nature of the triplets was for me a shame, perhaps it helps if you haven't heard a recording before, I'm not sure... But all in all a well-rounded performance and you did handle the ending very well.

Dohnanyi's output is for the most part very difficult in my opinion, as is the case with so many composer-pianists of the post-Brahmsian late romantic; and there are many of them, however Dohnanyi is an under-appreciated highlight in my opinion. Brahms was also a fan: of his Piano Quintet No.1 (worth a listen) he said "I could not have written it better myself".

In case anyone is interested Martin Roscoe is in the process of recording his entire solo works. This piece was the first of Dohnanyi's I heard, it's really great!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4JsVzbGumI

Well done once again, you really got the character of the piece across!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:48 am 

Hi jontyl,

I'm glad you enjoyed my rendition of the "Postludium". I would have to agree that Dohnanyi's music is quite challenging. Many years ago I played his Rhapsody, Op. 11, No. 3 in C--very much like a scherzo. What an introduction to his music! My first teacher studied with Miklos Schwalb, a student of Dohnanyi. So as a kind of homage, I thought it would be nice to play the "Postludium", and at the same time it raised awareness here of this fine composer. Thanks for the link to the "Passacaglia". Turns out it's a huge set of variations, and very difficult at that. I'll leave it for the virtuoso pianists!

I appreciated your comment that I got the piece across to you. The fact is, quite candidly, I don't have a "big technique", but many pianists over the years have told me that I know how to put a piece across to the listener. For me that's the single most important element of interpretation and performance. Thank you for that compliment!

I'm working on another Dohnanyi piece (but won't reveal which one until it's recorded--yes, I know it's superstition :lol: ).

Thanks for listening!

David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:07 am 

Hi Monica,

I just played my library MP3 music file of the Dohnanyi piece, then listened to it here. I didn't notice any difference. But that's not to say that you're hearing things. I can tell you that the playback "timbre" here is different from that at Piano Street and YouTube. (YouTube playback is sometimes too loud because of their "processing", but I have notice that over the last couple of years their sound has noticeably better clarity to it.

Do you still record with an Edirol (or Tascam?) and use a USB2 to transfer a file to the computer? Or do you record directly to the computer now? I've always read that he former is better than the latter, as sometimes the PC can create sound anomalies of its own.

Right now I'm the most unlikely pianist here where it comes to recording. I've always loved my Korg MR-1000 recorder. Evidently Microsoft is believed to have distributed one of their routine Windows Updates. Well I, along with a great number of others, can no longer get the PC to recognize the recording device through the USB connection. I erased the USB hubs to get clean replacements, tried three different USB2 cables, made sure that all drivers are the latest and greatest, tried every USB2 port on the PC, tried some of the suggested solutions which did nothing, and even had the retailer contact Korg to see if they had heard of a solution. All of that was for nothing. So my latest recording is trapped inside the Korg with no place to go, as I can't do the routine USB transfer. and Microsoft's tips are totally worthless. Several people have posted "solutions" only to get a bunch of replies back saying that the solutions didn't work. And of course, Add a Device through Device Manager is impossible, because Windows can't detect the USB2 connection and device at the other end. I've run out of options, so will likely have to buy a new recorder--a process that I hate.

David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:14 am 
Site Admin

Ow, that is infuriating. It seems to be quite a horror story with USB stopping working after Windows update. And not a new issue either. Plenty people saying they fixed it but what works for one may not work for another.

Have you thought of taking out the Korg's memory card and putting it in your computer's card reader ? Assuming you have a working card reader, and not an external USB one that may now be failing...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:06 am 

In addition to Chris's suggestion, which if it works, is clearly the simplest solution, might I add:
Do you have system restore to roll back the system to before the update (which was probably cosmetic in intent)? Do check the date you are rolling back to though - if it's a while in the past I wouldn't do it due to potential other losses caused.
As a temporary fix you could try taking the recorder into an internet cafe and transfer the file(s) onto a memory stick or similar.
Alternatively, buy a cheap, old, secondhand computer from a computer shop and use it as a device to read the Korg.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:55 am 
Site Admin

Yes rolling back the update might well fix it. But it's a dangerous road - you either go with Windows updates or you don't. I think selective
updating, or not updating, is a sure road to trouble. Also, if an update really buggers up USB then MS is likely to fix that soon. Having said that some of the horror stories seen to be quite old already. Could have been different issues.

Maybe the Korg's USB is just getting too long in the tooth (I love that phrase :) ) and can no longer be supported. In that case going
to an Internet cafe is not going to help I guess.

Putting a separate computer in your home network for this purpose alone seems gross overkill to me. Then I'd prefer updating the recorder (provided another recorder *is* recognized - the problem may not be specific to the Korg). You'll need to experiment with different USB
devices. Buy a cheap USB stick (not a bad idea having one as backup anyway) and see if that works.

Using the memory card does seem the most painless option if the problem won't be resolved.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:34 pm 

A possibly relevant question is 'do the USB ports detect anything at all now?' Is the problem with the Korg alone? I was't really suggesting adding a new pc to the network, just getting a cheap as possible (£40-type) old tower unit and using it as a transfer mechanism to get data off the Korg and onto a memory stick. That's my worst case scenario solution.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:19 pm 
Site Admin

Hi David,
Sorry, I saw your response to me just now. Seems my problem is my Internet, not my recorder. I still use an Edirol and have no problem with it....except the cord, which my husband recently soldered (that word is spelled so strangely, isn't it? ), so it's working again. I don't know how to help you with your problem, but looks like you are getting good ideas from Chris and Andrew.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:44 pm 

Hi Andrew,

On your question, yes, when I use the UBS2 for the camera, Windows detects it immediately. Just a couple of days ago I uploaded some photos. The horror stories I've been seeing more often than not involve external backup hard drive. I have one of those (SeaGate), but it's not affected. Interestingly, the Korg runs on its own hard drive. So that might be a parallel with external hard drives. Where the Korg uses a HD rather than flash card technology there is no port on the unit for a memory stick. The only port is for the USB2. Luckily, there is only my latest recording on there, nothing else.

I started using the Korg in 2007, so I've been using it for about 7 years now.

I have to go now, but will be back to reply to the rest of your thoughts this afternoon.

David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Oh wowza, a hard disk recorder. The things some can afford :)

Seriously I did not know these even existed. Seems less than ideal, especially for recording, I wouldn't want a HD whizzing around near the microphones.
Now unless you can either fix this, or offload your file to someone else's PC, the best option is probably to do System Restore to a date where things still worked (hopefully you'll have one), keep that restore point in a safe place, and revert back after you've offloaded your file. A royal pain in the botty but less hassle than having to get a new recorder.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next