Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Haydn Sonata in B Minor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:50 am 

Hi all,

I've been working on the first movement for quite a bit now (also working on the 2nd and 3rd), but I can't seem to break past this barrier in the first movement ... the trills and little ornaments are infuriating the heck out of me. My fingers keep getting stuck when I play them, making them all smushed up and icky sounding. I was hoping someone could give me some advice on how to practice this. Thanks much!

Attachments:
DR0000_0032.wav [34.97 MiB]
Downloaded 177 times

Post subject: Re: Haydn Sonata in B Minor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:03 am 

The ornaments themselves sound ok to me but I notice the left hand is a bit uneven in the ornament-heavy sections. It has been pointed out to me recently in my Haydn playing that since the LH determines the beat, thus the time available for everything, it's essential that it be absolutely reliable especially when the LH is simple quarter or eighth notes and the RH is much more complicated.

If you are experiencing stiffness or tension in your hand while playing ornaments-- does this happen with ornaments in other pieces? How about in the same piece when played slower?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:51 pm 

Yeah, it's been the LH that tries to slow down to accommodate the RH trills. So I guess I should focus more on the LH and making sure it stays steady...

If I play slower, the ornaments are fine. I think I unconsciously try to keep up with the LH when I do the ornaments, which is why I slow down the LH ... should I just focus on the LH instead and ignore the RH and maybe the RH will naturally go?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:25 am 

I think the LH is rushing, actually. If we mean the same spots - 0:22-24 and similar? Use a metronome and you may be surprised.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:22 pm 

How does this sound now? Not only the rushing, but any other places/general comments?

Thanks for the feedback.

Attachments:
DR0000_0036.wav [34.74 MiB]
Downloaded 137 times