Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Brahms, Ballads op. 10
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:38 am 

I made these recordings about a year ago while warming-up for a recital in Bonn, Germany.

They are not 100 per cent immaculate but I think they might be good enough for the site. I hope you enjoy them and I'm looking forward to your feedback.

The instrument you will hear is a Schimmel K280.

Daniel

Brahms - Ballade Op. 10 Nr. 1 ("Edward") (4:30)
Brahms - Ballade Op. 10 Nr. 2 (6:41)
Brahms - Ballade Op. 10 Nr. 3 ("Intermezzo") (4:15)
Brahms - Ballade Op. 10 Nr. 4 (9:40)

Post subject: Re: Brahms, Ballads op. 10
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:46 pm 

Thank you for these, Daniel.
I suddenly realized while downloading these that my exposure to his early works has been very light; in fact, the earliest opus I remember playing when I was young was the opus 32 songs. (Never got into the sonatas.)
Are these early works? Or just numbered funny? The fourth, especially, sounds like a "young" Brahms and foreshadows some of the work in the Opus100++ range. A little on the dark side.
I enjoyed these and your playing. Since I'm unfamiliar with them I'll have to leave it at that.
I assume you performed these. How did that go? How did the audience react to these?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:18 am 

Hi Stu, thank you for your comment. Glad you like the Ballads.

The Ballads op 10 are indeed early works, written by a 21-year-old Johannes Brahms in the summer of 1854. After Robert Schumann was taken to an asylum for the insane near Bonn following an attempt to drown himself in the Rhine River in Düsseldorf, Brahms moved there to support Clara and the children and it was during that summer that he composed the Ballads. He also sent a copy to Robert Schumann, who seemed to like them very much. I think I read somewhere that Brahms said later on that the Ballades always reminded him of the summer spent with Clara and the children.

I played them last year in some recitals, together with the late Intermezzi op. 117 in the first half. I liked the combination of the early and late works and it was generally well received but 35 - 40 minutes of Brahms might have been a bit of an overdose on one or two occasions. I remember one lady who came to me after a recital saying: "How can you play that stuff with som much passion?". Well, I guess, Brahms is a question of taste after all :-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

These are very good Daniel. More than good enough for the site, and I will put them up tonight.
If they're maybe not spotless, any flaws could only be noticed by a very trained ear of someone who's intimate with the pieces.
I heard a couple of tiny issues and (maybe) misreadings in no.2. The fierce middle section could have been a little less heavy on its
feet and a bit more incisive. Easier said than done of course. The other ones sound pretty perfect to me, especially no.4 which is
much harder to bring off than it sounds, and you do a marvellous job here. In the 9th bar from the end of no.4, you play a couple of C#'s which should be C natural. This was actually the most disturbing thing I heard in all 4 of these :)
Great work, and very accomplished Brahms playing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:18 pm 

Many thanks, Chris, particularly for spotting the c#'s that should indeed be C naturals. I wouldn't have noticed myself :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

That is what I am here for, to spot the wrong notes. It's a dirty job, and someone has to do it :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:14 pm 

Nice to hear these. These earlier ballades seem somewhat neglected in favor of the Op. 117-118 pieces, and I particularly like the first two from this set.

The playing is generally solid (with the possible exception of a few minor muddled passages in number three). However, I would like to hear more differentiation of texture (no mean feat in Brahms's lush sonorities, of course). They seem a bit literal and clunky to my ears, with the bass rather prominent in places, and there could be more dynamic inflection. That said, I did very much like your crescendo in the middle section of the first one (but maybe more heroism could be in order, which could be achieved by crisper accents and some well-placed rubato in places). In the slower parts (like the intro of the fourth), you could be more attentive to pedal usage and listen more to the various voices in the texture.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:51 pm 
Site Admin

These are on the site now. Please check all is ok.
Next time Daniel, please review the ID3 tags and make sure they conform to the standard:
http://pianosociety.com/new/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5115&p=51530
I had to correct all the tags:

- No first name in Title and Composer tag
- No diacriticals anywhere
- Album is http://pianosociety.com
- No Comment unless it's relevant for the performance
- Genre is Classical (in English)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:56 pm 

Daniel, thank you ! I love this music although I have not listened to it for many years. It was nice to hear it again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:08 pm 

Thanks, Chris, for putting the tracks on the site. My apologies for messing up the ID3 tags. I realise this caused extra work for you and I'll be more careful in the future.

Thank you, Joe, for your helpful and constructive criticism. I'll be playing the Ballads in a private recital in a few weeks' time and I'll certainly bear all this in mind.

Didier, thanks for your kind works. It is indeed wonderful music.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:41 pm 

Very well played and a nice Brahmsian sound. I listened to the first two, which I played when I was young (quite a long time ago). I was particularly impressed with the steady build in the Allegro in no 1, it is so easy to do the crescendo too fast, and to increase tempo. I played this a lot wilder (but as I said, I was young...). In no 2 you make very good sense of the staccato and leggerio part, something I never managed to understand. Also the end of no 2 shows an amazing tonal control without slowing down, really excellent. Thanks for bringing these here.

Some hopefully constructive details: in No 1 in the poco piu moto the melody is sometimes drowned by the other voices. This could be an issue with the recording or possibly a lapse of concentration (you play the melody very well most of the time). I would play the Andante a bit faster and with more rubato but this is of course a matter of taste. Your immaculate handling of the 2 vs 3 in the Allegro lapses around 2.30 where I think you let the LH follow the RH to produce a dotted rhythm. In no 2 I would definitely use more rubato in the andante - it says espressivo after all and though you make good use of dynamics there is a risk of sounding a bit boring. The large D major rolled chord towards the end of the Andante actually breaks the rhythm, either roll it quicker or begin it earlier, to keep the LH steady.

But these are nitpicks, overall this is a good performance.

Joachim

Edit: I now also listened to no 3 and 4 and think they are really excellent. In particular no 4 seems to require extended concentration to achieve the meditative effect, that cannot be easy. It does indeed sound like a much later Brahms. I don't think I have heard it before, thanks again for this!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:49 pm 

Your comments are certainly constructive, helpful and encouraging. Many thanks for listening and commenting. I'll be performing these Ballads in a private recital in about three weeks and it seems the list of things to bear in mind is growing :-)

However, one word in defence of my "Poco più moto" in No 1. I try to give the bass more weight in bars 8 - 13 because I think this is where the melody is. In bars 21 - 26, the soprano repeats this melody and that's what I tried to get across by highlighting the bass line in bars 8 - 13.

Daniel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:56 pm 

I listened to the poco piu moto again, and think you are right - the bass is important here, good point!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:25 pm 

That's very nice.
Apart from op.117 and the 3rd Sonata, this is also a set of pieces I always wanted to learn :) Brahms is always my favorite composer...

May I asked what is your recording equipment?...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:47 am 

Op. 117 is wonderful! Brahms is definitely one of my favourite composers as well. I listened to a marvellour recording of the German Requiem last night. I just love it.

My recording equipment is very simple. I use a Zoom H2 and WavePad.