Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Clément - "Chopinata"
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:56 am 
Site Admin

Sorry, Chopin!
(I just had to say that first....)

My little project this weekend...here is an arrangement that Chopin purists won't like. But I do!! It's cute but it's not easy to play. I had to memorize it so I could look at the keys the whole time. And I tried to get a recording in one take, but every time I tried I had a complete meltdown somewhere, so I made this video in three parts. It's a very straight forward ABA piece anyway. Although, there are still a few slips and misses; I am certainly no Marc Andre Hamlin....he plays it so fast...ARGH! :x I'm not even sure if I should put this on the main site (which is why I haven't made an mp3 yet). I need another opinion...

A funny little note, this is the second piece I'm recording of the Fantasy-Impromptu...the pretty middle part...that's not really the original. I think the Universe is trying to tell me something... :?: :idea:

here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZZ-jrculvo

p.s. Thank you, Chris, for the score! :)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject: Re: Clément - "Chopinata"
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:07 am 
Site Admin

Well done, there's absolutely no reason not to put this on the site. It's a tad slow, but an amateur can't possibly breeze through it like Hamelin, who has a tendency to play too fast just because he can. Yes that ragtime bass is very difficult to do if you need to look at the score.
I did not hear more than one or two tiny little issues, nothing to fuss about. Most people won't hear anything wrong at all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
Well done, there's absolutely no reason not to put this on the site. It's a tad slow, but an amateur can't possibly breeze through it like Hamelin, who has a tendency to play too fast just because he can. Yes that ragtime bass is very difficult to do if you need to look at the score.
I did not hear more than one or two tiny little issues, nothing to fuss about. Most people won't hear anything wrong at all.

Oh, thank you! I'm glad you think it's alright. I really didn't want to record it again; it took me a long time and I had the worst headache afterwards! I'll go put together the mp3 now....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:31 pm 

It's wonderful, Monica.
BUT: On Youtube, you say it's an arrangement of the Military Polonaise and the Fanatasy Impromptu. When's the last time you listened to the C-sharp minor waltz (opus 64, I think)? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

StuKautsch wrote:
It's wonderful, Monica.
BUT: On Youtube, you say it's an arrangement of the Military Polonaise and the Fanatasy Impromptu. When's the last time you listened to the C-sharp minor waltz (opus 64, I think)? :wink:

:shock: OMG, you're absolutely right, Stu! :shock: And the waltz is the main part! :shock: Thank you for pointing that out..I've fixed it on my video.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:02 pm 

Hi Monica,

I watched your video of this interesting jazzy arrangement of Chopin's eponymous piece. I enjoyed your playing throughout, and would not worry that you can't play as well as MAH, all things being equal and him being a concert artist :!:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:58 am 
Site Admin

pianoman342 wrote:
Hi Monica,

I watched your video of this interesting jazzy arrangement of Chopin's eponymous piece. I enjoyed your playing throughout, and would not worry that you can't play as well as MAH, all things being equal and him being a concert artist :!:

Hi Riley, and thank you!
Maybe the one thing I do that MAH doesn't do, is play piano without my glasses on which makes the keys hard to see. The whole keyboard is fuzzy and blurry and I rely a lot on muscle memory. But that's what I have to do if I want to be seen playing by memory and no glasses. Let's see MAH play with a blurry piano :!: :lol:
(he'd probably still be incredibly good!! :wink: )

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:56 pm 

Great fun to listen to! Thanks for this! I couldn't resist to also listen to Hamelin. He plays it twice as fast, it sounds like a completely different piece, but you bring out more detail in your tempo. By the way, what is this business about not using glasses? Are you aiming at eventually doing it blindfolded? :shock:

Joachim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:17 am 
Site Admin

troglodyte wrote:
Great fun to listen to! Thanks for this! I couldn't resist to also listen to Hamelin. He plays it twice as fast, it sounds like a completely different piece, but you bring out more detail in your tempo. By the way, what is this business about not using glasses? Are you aiming at eventually doing it blindfolded? :shock:
Joachim

Thank you, Joachim! Hamelin also improvises in some places. But it's nice to know that I contributed something positive.
As far as my glasses....it's just plain ol' vanity that makes me play without them. I have to wear my glasses all the time to read anything, and once in a while I want to be seen without them. Something that Chris doesn't know: when he and I made a long-distance video, we played with the music up on the stand. I memorized my part so I could play without my glasses on. But I still looked up at the music even though I couldn't see it.... :lol: (I crack myself up :lol:)

Playing blindfolded....hmmmm....you may on to something. Ok, my next video... :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:38 am 

Very enjoyable, and looks like you were having fun! Are you going to do "Isoldina"? I've played around with it, albeit through a combined mist of apoplexy and laughter ;)

One thing - it doesn't affect the quality of your performance at all, but - (I also committed this faux pas recently, to my disgust) when you play from memory, put the music stand down!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

andrew wrote:
Very enjoyable, and looks like you were having fun! Are you going to do "Isoldina"? I've played around with it, albeit through a combined mist of apoplexy and laughter ;)

One thing - it doesn't affect the quality of your performance at all, but - (I also committed this faux pas recently, to my disgust) when you play from memory, put the music stand down!

Thank you!
I looked at "Isoldina" but didn't play through it. I don't think I will. But you should record it! Then we can make a separate page for 'tongue-in-cheek' music... :)

Regarding my music stand...I left it up intentionally because of the light. I guess I can put it down next time, but I'll have to change the lighting in my room.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:33 am 

Hi Monica,

This is a great novelty piece, and you play it ever so well too! And it looked on the video that you were having a lot of fun. it. Thanks for posting it.

David :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hi David! Thank you very much!! :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:56 pm 

I would like to add to my comment on your YouTube-channel also here, that´s a very good performance and a great achievement, that you have played it all by heart. I´m always a bit sceptical concerning jazz arrangements especially of romantic music. (Classical and baroque music goes much better to make jazz with, I think.) But this arrangement by the Belgian arranger is convincing me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

musicusblau wrote:
I would like to add to my comment on your YouTube-channel also here, that´s a very good performance and a great achievement, that you have played it all by heart. I´m always a bit sceptical concerning jazz arrangements especially of romantic music. (Classical and baroque music goes much better to make jazz with, I think.) But this arrangement by the Belgian arranger is convincing me.

Thank you, Andreas. I don't know why, but I love jazz arrangements of classical music. It just tickles me. :) Memorizing, although always hard for me as it seems to take forever, wasn't too bad on this piece because it's really just two sections. Also, the left hand jumps so much that I had to watch my hands.