Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Nin-Culmell - Tonadas, Book 2
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

Here is book 2 of Joaquin Nin-Culmell's delightful series of Tonadas. Because every piece has a region mentioned in the title, I assume these are based on authentic Spanish tunes. Nin-Culmell's settings are simple but quirky and idiomatic. No.19 is an In Memoriam for Padre Jose Antionio Donostia, a composer also present on this site. No.21 is dedicated to Alicia de Larrocha, who plays some of these on YouTube. I hope you like these as much as I do.

Nin-Culmell - Tonadas - 13: Jota castellana (1:54)
Nin-Culmell - Tonadas - 14: Cancion de labrador (Leon) (1:56)
Nin-Culmell - Tonadas - 15: Copla castellana (1:04)
Nin-Culmell - Tonadas - 16: Canto de ronda (Castilla) (1:36)
Nin-Culmell - Tonadas - 17: Copla extremena (0:49)
Nin-Culmell - Tonadas - 18: Jota extremena (0:58)
Nin-Culmell - Tonadas - 19: Cancion otonal (Vascongadas) (1:47)
Nin-Culmell - Tonadas - 20: Copla asturiana (1:35)
Nin-Culmell - Tonadas - 21: Sequidilla murciana (1:27)
Nin-Culmell - Tonadas - 22: Cancion de trilla (Murcia) (2:14)
Nin-Culmell - Tonadas - 23: Canto de arriero (Galicia) (1:44)
Nin-Culmell - Tonadas - 24: Muineira (Galicia) (1:25)

[ Edit: added no:13 which I left out my mistake. Now this is the complete Book 2 ]

Post subject: Re: Nin-Culmell - Tonadas, Book 2
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

I love these!!! I hear bits of Mompou in them. Funny how everybody dedicates something to Alicia (smart to do so!). I don't know enough about the music to critique much, but your playing sounded nice. Do you plan to record the other three books?

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not sure yet. I owe my love for this book to dear Alicia, and only have a score for books 1 and 2. I played through book 1 but did not like it as much as book 2. Maybe it will come yet.
Actually I now see that book 2 starts with no.13 - will have to record at least that one then.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

And added no. 13 :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:04 pm 

Excellent. Really excellent. Very crisp - and I was listening on speakers - and very Spanish. A real accomplishment, Chris.

I did not know Anais Nin had a brother (much less 2 of them) and that one of them was such a distinctive composer. BTW, I read the bio on Wikipedia and then read *hers*, and they are not in agreement about some aspects of the early years of the Nin children and family. The entry for Joaquin has only one main source, while Anais' life is pretty well documented. If someone puts up a bio for Joaquin they should probably double-check it against hers. In a conflict, I would go with the Anais bio's details.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
And added no. 13 :)
Wow, you got that up quickly!
It's cute just like the others.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:10 pm 
Site Admin

StuKautsch wrote:
Excellent. Really excellent. Very crisp - and I was listening on speakers - and very Spanish. A real accomplishment, Chris.

Thanks Stu ! I'm not that happy with the last one, these jumping LH chords are difficult and tiring and they got worse instead of better as I progressed. Might have to have another go at this one. There are also some minor fluffs in the tricky LH part of no.14.

StuKautsch wrote:
I did not know Anais Nin had a brother (much less 2 of them) and that one of them was such a distinctive composer. BTW, I read the bio on Wikipedia and then read *hers*, and they are not in agreement about some aspects of the early years of the Nin children and family. The entry for Joaquin has only one main source, while Anais' life is pretty well documented. If someone puts up a bio for Joaquin they should probably double-check it against hers. In a conflict, I would go with the Anais bio's details.
And it never occurred to me that Anais Nin (of whom I merely know the name) would be related to the composer. A talented family, for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:30 am 

Hi Chris,

I had a listen to a few recordings of these "Tonadas," they are fresh to my ears and I think you do a good job of playing them. I agree with Stu, the sound is crisp, did you alter your recording setup? I can't really say much about them other than that they sound somewhat in the folk music idiom recalling Bartok or Kodaly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:56 am 
Site Admin

pianoman342 wrote:
I had a listen to a few recordings of these "Tonadas," they are fresh to my ears and I think you do a good job of playing them. I agree with Stu, the sound is crisp, did you alter your recording setup? I can't really say much about them other than that they sound somewhat in the folk music idiom recalling Bartok or Kodaly.
Thanks Riley. No I did not change anything, but I did purposefully use less pedal and more marked staccato than is my custom.
Indeed, these have a certain kinship with folk arrangements by Bartok et.al, being content to present their native material without much elaboration. It's music that stays close to its roots. I love that kind of music - almost as much as I love the ingenious and abstract contraptions by Bach.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Replaced no.24 with a better version.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:02 pm 

I listened to all of them tonight. Interesting and very well executed. For some reason I was most impressed by no 22, very evocative despite the sparse material, and with superb tonal quality. What recording equipment and mic placement do you use?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:18 am 
Site Admin

troglodyte wrote:
I listened to all of them tonight. Interesting and very well executed. For some reason I was most impressed by no 22, very evocative despite the sparse material, and with superb tonal quality.
Thanks Joachim ! This is one of my favorites too. To me it evokes Spain at its most poignant, not the pretty picture postcard Spanishness but the very soul of southern Spain, infused by the Cante Jondo. It much reminds me of Falla's Asturias (from the Siete Canciones) although going by the name that comes from the other end of Spain.

troglodyte wrote:
What recording equipment and mic placement do you use?
Nothing very fancy ! A Tascam DR-2 recorder placed near the far end of the grand. See image. I think it's a very good recorder, and the acoustics of my new room help.

Attachments:
File comment: Recording setup
setup.jpg
setup.jpg [ 146.85 KiB | Viewed 1971 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:49 pm 

Amazing that you get so fine recordings with equipment that looks so ridiculous - and with microphone placement dictated by available furniture!

I have a Tascam myself (DR-100 Mk 2) and am very happy with it. I discovered that it can be mounted on a standard video camera stand (the screws fit nicely) so I can place it where I want. It never occurred to me to try behind the piano, as you do. I put it on the side near the open lid, reasoning that most of the sound goes that way. Perhaps I should experiment more.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:39 am 
Site Admin

troglodyte wrote:
Amazing that you get so fine recordings with equipment that looks so ridiculous

Hey. Do not insult my equipment :shock: :lol:
But really, the Tascam produces good sound in combination with CoolEdit Light Concert Hall reverb. I have experimented little with recording position, quickly finding this (convenient) setup quite satisfactory.