Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Bach - WTC I - B major and B flat major
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:56 pm 
Site Admin

The B major and B flat major pairs of WTC 1. The first is a re-recording, marginally better than the previous version which had some minor issues. Of course, both of these still have their flaws...

Bach - BWV 866 - Das Wolhtemperierte Clavier I - Prelude and Fugue No.21 in B flat major (3:07)
Bach - BWV 868 - Das Wolhtemperierte Clavier I - Prelude and Fugue No.23 in B major (3:45)

Post subject: Re: Bach - WTC I - B major and B flat major
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:03 pm 

Chris,
They're fine, of course. Even though I did not follow with a score.
But I've always felt that the declamatory sections of the B-flat prelude could be more, well, declamatory, and that this might be achievable only by relaxing the tempo a little. (I.e., I think just about everyone plays this one too fast.) Or perhaps old Bach did not mind temporary relaxations of tempo in the recitatives.
Your sense of counterpoint is very pleasing, and I find it hard to say much about your fugues.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:20 pm 

To BWV 868:
Prelude:
yes, that´s nicely played and from bar 15 on it also has some nice agogic. This could have been the case earlier through the whole prelude from my point of view. (Just as a tip as always.) And the main theme could have been voiced out better. Especially here in this prelude it´s wandering through the different voices very obviously and from bar 15 on also in it´s "rerverse mode" (Umkehrung in german), so indeed, bar 15 is a special point in this prelude and may be that´s an argument to do something special like little rubati from here on.
But from my point of view this wouldn´t make a sense without a conscious voicing of the subject.

Fugue:
nice version, the tempo I feel a bit faster maybe, but that´s always a matter of taste. In bar 11 the thirds in the upper voice are a bit weak (especially the d-sharp is´nt audible any more), but for this the voicing in the tenor from the end of bar 11 is done with audible consciousness, very nice, also in bar 16 in the alto. But the subject in the "reverse mode" (Umkehrung) in bar 18 in the soprano could be voiced out much more clearly. I think, the reverse mode is a principe of this pair (it already was in the prelude), so it should be considered as something important. Also in the alto from bar 20 on. In bar 21 it´s in its original mode again. These are my tips for you.

To BWV 866
Prelude:
nicely played and the improvisational character comes out quite well. In bar 12 the run is a bit interrupted at the end. The dotted chords could be a played a bit more precise at some places. But these are only small suggestions of improvement. It´s really a good version from my view.

Fugue:
Also a nice version. In bar 14 on the last beat the b flat in the tenor is too weak respective inaudible. In bar 16/17 there is too much pedal. Before you have such a clear and nice articulation, so that the pedal here really stands out and seems not to fit in the whole concept. In bar 23 the important a in the tenor is left out. (It´s important, because it is part of the subject.)
In summary it´s a nice version with a totally adequate tempo from my view.

Last edited by musicusblau on Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:23 pm 

Had a listen to both recordings, both sound great. The Bb major I believe is a redo, and the original sounded at quite a fast clip, this recording seems to be even more so! I personally like it at a fast tempo, even if the tempo is up to the performers imagination as all WTC works are.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks all for the feedback. Of course there are things that could have been better. But these are probably as close as perfect as I will ever be able to get them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:47 pm 

Hi Chris,

I enjoyed both of the preludes and fugues. I thought your playing was very clean, well articulated, and expressive throughout both pieces. A very nice listening experience overall.

David

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:08 pm 

Hi Chris,

I enjoyed both your performances. Your playing is very even and you sound like
you have almost complete control over the amount of pressure you apply to each note.

Thank you,
Kaila

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks David and Kaila :)
Almost complete control, I wish that were true ! Not only are the fingers not that articulate, but the instrument does not have the lightest and most even touch. But that it sort of sounds like it, that is good 8)