Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Rachmaninoff Prelude in D major Op23, No 4
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:46 am 

This was just an impulse to try a quick video with my 4G iPhone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DWN4NqJQmY

Post subject: Re: Rachmaninoff Prelude in D major Op23, No 4
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:53 am 

Hi Eddy,

Bravo!

This is a very fine rendition of the piece in my opinion--you etch the cantilena line beautifully and sustain the legato, which is so important, while keeping the accompaniment in the background. You give close attention to dynamics and voice leading throughout. In the opening downbeat on the very low D which recurs also in measure 2, I play the D's with a crossover of the RH. Even though it is pp there, doing so seems to enrich the sound. Have you tried it? On page 1, measure 18, I believe it sounds better to play the second and third beats without pedal, but that's just my perception. In part B you very effectively attend to the chordal melody treating the polyphonic passage work in the RH around the melody as a quiet obligato. Well done! The run up to the big climax (or "the point") is continuous, carefully paced and executed with a wonderful crescendo--very well done. Same with the voicing and accenting the tops of the RH chords as the climax recedes. In the reprise of part A, you keep the high bell tone in each measure very quiet as they should be. I believe that in the third to last measure, you can treat the the dotted half note chords in treble and bass marked tenuto (mostly for voicing the top F# to the follow E and finally the tonic D in the last measure) as having fermatas. It's a small liberty, but It makes the achingly gorgeous coda even more so. Overall, you play this music bringing out the long line, and giving it continuous sweep. Pedaling was always judicious. You listen to every note you play. Excellent!

P.S. I was playing this piece just yesterday.

David

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:40 pm 

Hi Eddy,

I saw your video and very much enjoyed your performance. I haven't heard it before, it sounds like a nice more meditative compliment to the gregarious Op. 23 No. 6 that you recorded for PS earlier. As per your YT video description, I think it is much more than just acceptable. I would say it's a great flowing performance. As a note about the recording equipment, I am actually quite surprised the sound/video quality of your Iphone. I had a friend who showed me a video he took with his but I think it was an earlier one and it was good, but this is much better than that and sounds nearly as good a zoom recorder, listening with my headphones. There's even no clipping at the ff climax around 3:00! Nice playing here, and thank for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

Great work Eddy ! This is a very accomplished performance with especially good voicing. I could imagine just a bit more passion but that is personal taste.

The sound and video quality of the iPhone are surprisingly good. For creating recordings for the internet, I wonder whether a video camera and expensive
mics are really necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:28 pm 

Yes, very nice, Eddy. Your piano also sounds really great.
Like the others, I was surprised by the quality of the iPhone recording, but I would not go overboard on it - I think we'd all notice some difference if this had been a "real" mike. For instance, there was not much "ring" to the treble on this video, and this went beyond the usual MP3 quality shortcoming. You should do this piece on your regular mike.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:53 am 

Thanks all for your compliments and observations! David, your detailed critique comes as one that really knows the work. Regarding the quality, I will inform that when activating the YouTube option after the Forward button, then I had the option to go with the default quality or HD. I selected HD and it took some significant time to upload. One other thing David: my hands are hardly visible so I may make another video but I think you would find my distribution of the work quite interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:31 am 

I have been away from these shores for a long time. I hope nobody noticed it! The whys and wherefores I will not explain here, but will keep for a more appropriate post.

I would like to compliment you for forgetting any qualms about feeling prepared to play and for having recording equipment up to pitch. You just went and recorded it. One take and so on. And the result? Surprising! I liked the way you play, the way you phrase the music and even the recording, though I would have trimmed the part before you sit down and the part after, but this in no way affects the music, which would remain whole.

Continue like that and I am sure you will contribute immensely to PS.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:23 am 

Hi Eddy,

I also redistribute music between the hands if I believe it will produce a better result. So yes, I'd like to see the other video you plan to make from the better angle. The Baldwin sounds great! Do you believe the fidelity is as good with your iPhone than your microphones?

David

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:03 pm 

This is very good, and as others have said, the sound remarkably good considering the equipment. Beautifully voiced, and the accompanimental figures are commendably clear: there's always a tendency to let them lapse when focussing on the melody. Lovely!