Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: In The Twilight
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:01 pm 

I wrote a piece for piano and asked site pianist Avguste Antonov to record it for my book project. He has recorded it today at the Patrick McGuire Recording Studio in Texas. I am very happy with his recording, I think you will agree it is a spirited performance. My influence for this piece is partly Debussy's Claire De Lune from Suite Bergamasque, and partly Palmgren's "Kevätyö" (May Night) the opening is actually very similar to May Night. It is played on a Yamaha 6'1'' piano. I don't have information regarding the microphones, but I am sure they are some of the best.

Tucker - In The Twilight (2:05)

Attachment:
may night_score.pdf [59.05 KiB]
Downloaded 108 times

I hope you enjoy this, and if you do, it would be most kind if you could donate. I unfortunately don't have a paypal account, but if you would like to donate $2.99, you could buy the kindle book (the print ed. is 14.99), of which this recording is for. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Traceys-Hope-The- ... y%27s+hope

Here is a poem I wrote to go with this piece (for the 19th chapter in the book "The Ultimatum")

It’s in between

The night and

The morning

There’s some

certainty and

Some uncertainty.

Everything looks

different--

In the twilight

I even designed a custom piano for this piece:

http://rptuck.wordpress.com/2013/07/12/in-the-twilight-2/

and finally, I'd like to share a quote by Van Cliburn, who's birthday is today:

http://rptuck.wordpress.com/2013/07/12/i-appreciate-more-than-you-will-ever-know-that-you-are-honoring-me-but-the-thing-that-thrills-me-the-most-is-that-you-are-honoring-classical-music-because-im-only-one-of-many-im-only-a-witnes/

Post subject: Re: In The Twilight
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:23 am 
Site Admin

That was very beautiful, Riley. I think this is the best composition of yours...so far... :)

I happen to have a Kindle and so I just purchased your Kindle book. The trouble is that my Kindle is dead and I can't find my charger, so it may be some time before I can start reading your book.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:00 am 

Hi Monica,

Thanks very much for taking time to listen to this piece. I am glad you think it is my composition so far, I think it is hard to create original pieces. Perhaps this is the biggest struggle of any composer! That is very kind of you to buy the ebook. The piece you played for the project has a cameo in it :) I hope you can find the cord for your kindle, and if not, I hope it isn't too much to replace. I am thinking about getting a kindle, It seems like a great way, futuristic as it is, to read books new and old.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:49 am 
Site Admin

Duh to me....I forgot that a regular cellphone charger works on the Kindle and there are many chargers scattered around the house, so now my Kindle is charging. :)
Regarding e-books....I often upload audio books from my local library onto my smartphone for free! It's great on my commute to and from work, because I can listen to someone else do the reading while I do other things like play Freecell, Candy Crush, or Bubble Worlds...lol.

btw - I wasn't aware that you had finished your book. Congratulations!! :)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:46 pm 

Quote:
Duh to me....I forgot that a regular cellphone charger works on the Kindle and there are many chargers scattered around the house, so now my Kindle is charging. :)

Aha! My phone charger also charges my mp3 player. Same connector, nice as I don't have to pack two when I go somewhere :)

Quote:
btw - I wasn't aware that you had finished your book. Congratulations!! :)

Thanks! Yes, it seems it went by undetected. Maybe I ought to buy a press release package online, I hear that's a good way to get the word out... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:05 am 

Great composition and performance, rich and lush. Starts off strong with a good theme. The circle of fifths + appregiation you used in the B section was very effective, but I felt that it was a touch bit trite and at odds with the mystery of the beginning. On the other hand I loved the weak-beat stepwise descent at around 1:20-ish, which had the effect of a sigh somehow, followed up with the ending a second time. Perhaps I might play this as comfort food sometime (still have your hidden motive to record however).

I also liked your giocoso from a while back though I did not manage to comment on that. I look forward to more of your compositions.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:55 pm 

That's a very nice recording. Your composition is also atmospheric, and well-judged: you've not tried to make too much out of the material - I think if it had been extended to five minutes the patterns would have crossed the border between providing structure to becoming repetitive.

It might be worth creating a facebook page for your book, where you could post updates, links, extracts, photos, etc for general public view.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

Late to the party ! But glad I came ! This is really very good, and Antonov's masterful recording of course helps. An assured and inspired composition, easily eclipsing everything you've done so far. No weak spots, as I sometimes noticed in your pieces, everything seems to be just right. I liked doing Summer on the Farm but am a bit peeved you gave this one to someone else :D Couldn't have done it better though.

Yes I clearly hear May Night, which is a great piece, I think it's Palmgren's (deservedly) most popular. Not at all a bad influence, and a more original one than Clair de Lune (of which I son't seem to hear that much). Keep up the great work !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:14 pm 

Hi Riley,

I really enjoyed hearing "In the Twilight". It has a very pleasing melodic flow and and is so tranquil too. Also compliments to Avguste Antonov for his fine performance.

David

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:06 pm 

Thanks everybody for listening and for the comment. Jonathan, it would be great if playing this could be "comfort food" :) Andrew, I have created a facebook page, it is [url]facebook.com/ultnovel[/url] not sure if it is open to the public or if it requires a fbook account to login and view. Though there is not much that I am posting now, since the book is already up on Amazon. Chris, glad you liked it. I originally came across the opportunity for Avguste to record it because on his site he has a place where contemporary composers can submit their work and he will consider playing it on his concert tours. As a side note, after having written many pieces, I think I will take a hiatus from composing. Maybe in the future I will try a new style, but I think I've come to a point where there's little left to write in the style I like to write in. But I'm not complaining, it's been fun while it lasted! Thanks David, I'll pass that on to Avguste.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:17 pm 

Thank you all for the kind comments!! Riley wrote a wonderful piece.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:25 am 

Hi Riley,
that's a nice piece. I have enjoyed it very much. From the style it reminds me on early Debussy and/or some film music, which often is a mixture of neo romantic and impressionistic style. I have listened with score. As a tip I could say you can work still on the theme of enharmonic changes. It already has become better, but there still are some mistakes in it. The recording is really of a very good quality. Bravo!
On wednesday I have visited Chris and we did the first thrree of Dvoraks Slavonic Dances op. 46. So we have finished both complete sets of op.46 and op.72. I will edit them when I will be at home again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:22 am 

Avguste,

nice to see you! Long time no see on the forum :)

Andreas,

Thanks for listening and for your compliment. I am glad that you hear the Debussy influence. Yes, I also detected a slight slip on the repeat of ms. 14 - 21. It actually took me a few listenings to notice it, because it could work as a slight variation to what is written. Glad to hear you and Chris have recorded more of the Slavonic Dances. Look forward to hearing them here in the Audition Room, and as I have come to expect, on youtube as well.