Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Faure, 6th Nocturne, Op. 63 in D flat
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:41 pm 

The 6th Nocturne of Faure is a large work in ternary form (11 pages in the Hamelle edition). There are also some hints of Scriabin in this music. I believe that this is the best of Faure's 12 nocturnes. His searching and poignant melodies are captivating and his modulations are ingenious as expected. As with the Faure barcarolle I recently posted, this recording dates from the 1980s, however I believe it is very listenable. I'm OK with the rules for posting "historical" :) recordings, as I said before. If it doesn't make it into the archive, at least people will be able to hear this music here in Audition Room.

David

Faure - Op.63 - Nocturne no.6 in D flat major (10:45)

Post subject: Re: Faure, 6th Nocturne, Op. 63 in D flat
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:40 pm 

The sound is good enough. It does have that "retro" quality, but I don't think it detracts from the whole.

What does detract from the whole is those heavy thumps on the downbeats. For me those are distracting enough that it's hard to listen to. Sorry. Too bad, because there's a lot to love in the piece, it obviously requires some technical accomplishment, and I do like how you bring out the melody and your tasteful rubato. The B section (beginning at 2:15) is very nice, with an intriguing darker quality. Still a little bit of downbeat thumping here too though. Also nice is the trill-like section (beginning at 4:28) with well phrased outer voices. Here the downbeat thumping does not begin until you arrive at a more dramatic portion of the phrase.

I admit that shortly thereafter I stopped the track and went and listened to your recording on this site of Scriabin prelude #12 in G sharp minor, a piece that could be prone to downbeat thumping by the unwary, and I found your recording of that piece to be quite beautiful. The bass is appropriately voiced a little strongly, has no thumping articulation and doesn't overpower. So I'll just say that I'm glad you grew out of the habit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:15 pm 

hriechgott,

Yes, I too later became aware of those downbeats. It made those moments overemphasize meter, especially for Faure. A few though needed that emphasis for various reasons. One thing that helped, I believe in addition to changing articulation, was throwing away the original key punchings and replaced them with Crescendo conical wurzen wool key punchings when I rebuilt the piano. It too helped.

Well, I'm glad that several other elements of my playing pleased you in this piece. I've relearned, recorded and posted three Rachmaninoff preludes recently. I've been quite amazed as to how differently I played them now as opposed to years ago. I guess that's progress.

Thanks for listening and commenting.

David

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:27 am 

Hi,

I've noticed that there has been only one member who commented on this beautiful nocturne by Faure. If the reason is that the topic is of little interest, Faure is not popular here, my playing was god awful :lol: , analog is unlistenable, or for whatever other reason, I really need to know that. If the verdict is generally negative, then probably it would be better to delete it rather than having it languish taking up space here. Thanks in advance for your input.

David

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:46 am 
Site Admin

Well, there's hardly anybody here these days. It could be due to holidays or it is another dead period - they seem to get longer and more frequent, making me wonder if PS is dying.

I did listen last week but forgot to comment. I did not really have much constructive to say except that it was well played.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

Hi David,
Speaking for myself, I'm not interested in listening to an older recording, unless it's by a friend who specifically asks me. My time here on the forum has to be only for critiquing recordings for possible submission onto the main site. I know the sound quality of your recording here is not of our standards, so that is why I can't take time to listen, let alone comment on it. But also, you said yourself that you are okay with your recording simply remaining here on the forum. In your words, "If it doesn't make it into the archive, at least people will be able to hear this music here in Audition Room."

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:28 pm 

Hi David,

I had a listen to your piece. I enjoyed it a lot. I like the accented downbeats, though I realize perhaps I am the only one who shares your taste :) I think this Nocturne holds a lot of dramatic harmonic shifts and really registering the pedal bass notes on the 1st strong beat seem to carry throughout the measure, without using pedal which could be a blurry sounding mess.

Chris,

Yes, I've noticed that too. Isn't summer the time when everybody has free time? Let's hope you're wrong and the forum isn't dying :!:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:13 pm 

Hi Chris,

OK, I'm very glad you liked it. Thanks for affirming that.

You're probably right about the summer slowing things down with people traveling and doing more activities outdoors, etc. I don't think that the PS site has died on the vine; however, looking at the first page of Audition Room, recordings do seem to remain there far longer than the case previously, suggesting that the quantity and velocity of new postings is less and slower. Also, in late spring we used to get posts from music school students posting some of their recital pieces. (Not that we'd see them again anytime soon.) It seemed there wasn't as much of that this year. We do have a core of members who post music regularly. They're really the mainstays here. Hopefully that hasn't dropped off. It would have to be examined to know for sure. If true, that would be a bad sign.

I'll leave this post in place.

David

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:26 pm 

Hi Monica,

Yes, I know you're very busy and pressed for time, so must limit yourself to items being archived. I understand that, plus you do fine work there and have helped me numerous times. Thanks for your hard work which benefits all the members and visitors here.

David

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:38 pm 

Hi Riley,

You have a very keen ear. Yes, with all the polyphony and modulations, the harmonies often serve as tonal anchors, almost as important as the melody. So you're quite right that they are sometimes actually bass pedal points--not only in the sense of Bach's use of them, but also Debussy. Thus to sustain them, you really have to put more arm weight into them to increase the sound, which I did. I think that many pianists would only understand that if they played the piece themselves. Thanks for your perspective on it!

David

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

Rachfan wrote:
Hi Monica,

Yes, I know you're very busy and pressed for time, so must limit yourself to items being archived. I understand that, plus you do fine work there and have helped me numerous times. Thanks for your hard work which benefits all the members and visitors here.

David

Thank you for the thank you, David. :) But people just like me to process their recordings - that's it. :wink:

You should not be concerned regarding ‘how many’ comments you get. At least you got some! I had three recordings up here last week for two days and nobody said anything so I took them down. Isn’t that nice? :( And I know Everybody! saw the post because of the comments on other postings after my recordings were up. Boy, I’m really loving it here…. :roll:

Ok, don't worry....that's my little rant, but I'm done now. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

And you haven't even used up all the smilies yet.

Quote:
I had three recordings up here last week for two days and nobody said anything so I took them down.

Two whole days, waahhhhh... Maybe you should allow some time for feedback instead of getting in a strop and deleting your post (which surely does not help the matter at hand). Sometimes it just takes a while for feedback to trickle in, and sometimes there just is none. Better get used to that idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
And you haven't even used up all the smilies yet.
Well, here's a nice one just for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

Pity there's no sound with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

Ha--don't tempt me. On second thought, your sensitive and delicate nature wouldn't be able to handle it anyway.