Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: New Piano Concerto
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:56 pm 

Dear Friends

I have just completed a new piano concerto and would be very pleased with any feedback
best wishes
Simon Hester

https://soundcloud.com/simon-hester-sis ... o-concerto

Post subject: Re: New Piano Concerto
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

No shortage here of good ideas and idiomatic piano writing. How it all adds up I am not sure yet. I've listened twice, probably it needs more to grasp. There were many things I'd want to hear again, but just as many I'd rather not. Most notably the opening I find rather unappealing. I reminds me irresistibly of the sound track of level 2 of Turok 2 (Seeds of Evil), which has always annoyed me. Fortunately it gets better as it goes. I really like the sequence between 5:20 and 5:30 and how they re-introduce the main theme, which by then I am almost reconciled with. Another thing I do not particularly care for are the occasional Gershwinesque
appoggiaturas, which seem out of place and corny as this is mostly not a jazzy work, save for some passages and the exuberant finale.
But all in all there is much to enjoy here. The orchestra sounds rather synthetic but the piano sound is good and realistic. Do you play it yourself or is it rendered ?

I also listed to your preludes and generally liked them. Some are a bit reminiscent of Kapustin, without reaching the same dizzying heights.

Post subject: Re: New Piano Concerto
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:16 pm 

Thanks for listening, and for your helpful comments.
On the technical side all the instruments are played individually with none of them being midi rendered.

I think I agree about the opening theme, and yet it's really the theme from which much of the concerto stems and hopefully provides a starting point for the journey to follow.

I kind of know what you mean about the Gershwinesque bits, and yet I'm very happy to mix styles unashamedly!

I don't know of Kapustin, but must listen

Best wishes

Simon