Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Bartok Mikrokosmos book 1 "Pastorale" -- out of order?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:49 am 

I use Mikrokosmos book 1 for elementary sight-reading with students who are too mature for Piano Adventures. I have a small group of students who are all about the same reading level and two of them got to "Pastorale" this week. Both had an incredibly rough time with it. I'm wondering if anyone else thinks Pastorale is a bit out-of-order in terms of the difficulty progression of Mikrokosmos. Key signature is three sharps (it's only the second piece in the book with a key signature other than C major), the left hand has a lot of ties, and it's one of the first 5-6 pieces with independent hand movement... all at the same time! The rest of Mikrokosmos book 1 only has one piece with a non-C key signature and that's only 2 sharps. The later pieces continue to have independent hand movement.

I'm already planning on skipping Pastorale with the next student and circling back to it later.

Post subject: Re: Bartok Mikrokosmos book 1 "Pastorale" -- out of order?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:00 am 
Site Admin

I think what makes this unusual is that it's in D major but has the A major key signature. The G sharp is not what you'd expect and I can can imagine young players tripping up on that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:15 am 

Bartok does use a lot of modal writing even in book 1. I think it's a really great idea. However, yes, so far the G sharp appears to get forgotten more frequently than its peers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:07 pm 
As far as popularity goes, one method of discovering this would be how many artists recorded a particular piece. If you go to the Society's list of recordings of Scarlatti sonatas and look at the list of catalog numbers, you'll see that some of them are repeated many times.
K27, K87, K380, K466, and K531 are examples.

Of course, there are many other popular ones. I'm just pointing out a fast way of finding a couple for starters. This also has the advantage of giving you several interpretations to see how people around the world approach his music.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

Yet another random posting troll to be removed. This is getting tiresome.
This troll's email adress was lisaadler911@gmail.com. This particular name syntax is highly suspicious and should have triggered us not to confirm the registration.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

Is it possible to change the registration parameters that from this point forward, anyone who registers has to have a username that includes two full names, or a username that includes and uppercase letter and a number, etc.... Something that makes it harder for these trolls to get in?

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know, and it might not be worth the effort to find out. Spammers and trolls are like viruses, they adapt. Best thing is to look carefully at usernames (they seem to favour 5-letter names with maybe some digits) and email adressses (they seem to favour xxxxxxxNNN@gmail.com) before letting them. When in doubt, don't let them in. As long as we don't get dozens of them a day, not much of a problem really. I was not able to find anything on the web about this particular kind of trolling.