Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: The Modern Day Pianist-Composers: Hough and Hamelin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:57 am 

I found an interesting journal article about Stephen Hough and Marc-Andre Hamelin.

It takes a look at the historic composers who we know to be some of the first famous Pianist-Composers (Liszt and Thalberg, and to a lesser extent, Bach because his composition instrument wasn't soley the piano)

A question from it: "will a pianist be a better player if she or he composes music?" According to Hough, the answer is a definite yes!

written by Yi-Syuan Lin:

http://gradworks.umi.com/1472305.pdf

Post subject: Re: The Modern Day Pianist-Composers: Hough and Hamelin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not completely sure....I know Grieg was a good player and of course there is Rachmaninov. Also Granados!!
But I remember reading somewhere that one of the 'biggies' composed great music, but couldn't play it very well himself. I can't remember who that is now....

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:00 pm 

pianolady wrote:
I'm not completely sure....I know Grieg was a good player and of course there is Rachmaninov. Also Granados!!
But I remember reading somewhere that one of the 'biggies' composed great music, but couldn't play it very well himself. I can't remember who that is now....

Tchaikovsky?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

musical-md wrote:
pianolady wrote:

Tchaikovsky?

Yes, I think that's right. Thanks, Eddy! :)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:48 am 

pianoman342 wrote:
A question from it: "will a pianist be a better player if she or he composes music?" According to Hough, the answer is a definite yes!

I totally agree with this. I think an interest in composition makes you more inclined to look at the music you're playing from two different angles - the pianistic and the compositional. I (if I may flatter myself by terming myself to some extent a composer) keep finding myself asking "why did he express it like this, not like this or this?" I really do suspect that some pianists look at a score as something to be replicated and never ask themselves "why?"

MAH's a peculiar phenomenon: I just don't warm to his playing and find it a bit dry and lacking in character. However I do quite like him as a minor composer; it seems like the character and humour lacking in his piano-playing emerges in his compositions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:51 am 

pianolady wrote:

Notoriously, Schubert.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:12 am 

Quote:
I totally agree with this. I think an interest in composition makes you more inclined to look at the music you're playing from two different angles - the pianistic and the compositional. I (if I may flatter myself by terming myself to some extent a composer) keep finding myself asking "why did he express it like this, not like this or this?" I really do suspect that some pianists look at a score as something to be replicated and never ask themselves "why?"

That's a good point. I was studying a book about Bach's 48 Preludes and Fugues and the book talked about how Bach as a younger man was looking at scores and rewriting the parts that he didn't like, or making various improvements. A shame that some pianists would just see playing as a simple job like that of a taxi driver. As long as you don't crash, you're fine :mrgreen:

Quote:
MAH's a peculiar phenomenon: I just don't warm to his playing and find it a bit dry and lacking in character. However I do quite like him as a minor composer; it seems like the character and humour lacking in his piano-playing emerges in his compositions.

Yes, much more known for his technique than for his interpretiations. I also find his compositions very well written and yes, at times humorous!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:16 am 

Schubert and Tchaikovsky... and Sibelius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:25 am 

pianolady wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that one of the 'biggies' composed great music, but couldn't play it very well himself.

R. Schumann?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

Ravel.