Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: CPE Bach - Sofeggietto in C Minor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:33 pm 

Hello everyone - I hope you are all doing well! I been a bit down lately :( because it has been several months now that I have been without a piano. I hope to have one again in a month or so, but in the mean time I miss playing terribly!

Anyway, was going through my archive of recordings and found this short very familiar piece that I recorded a while back for my 11 year old. He worked this up for his last recital, so I used it as an excuse to record a sample for him. I played this staple piece without pedal and without much if any rubato. I was mostly trying to demonstrate the changing dynamics and phrasing as he (like most of us that young) was playing it quite flat and with unintentional accents.

If you find it useful for others, please feel free to use on the site. Noticed there is only one recording of this - surprising a bit since every young student seems to play this! :)

Matt

Attachments:
File comment: C.P.E. Bach - Solfeggietto in C Minor
cpebach-solfeggietto-wyman.mp3 [1.27 MiB]
Downloaded 152 times

Post subject: Re: CPE Bach - Sofeggietto in C Minor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:36 pm 

Nicely played.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:44 pm 

Hi Matt,

Good to have you here again. I had a listen to your recording of this famous piece by CPE. I agree with Eddy's assessment. Your playing is quite fine. In fact, that you could play this at this tempo without a single tempo lag/neighbor note blur is qiote astounding! No rubato you said, but here the tempo seems so on the beat that it is reminiscient to the tempo precision of a MIDI recording. Not that people aren't capable of that, it's just my perception, and I'm not one to talk--speed on the piano is not my forte :lol:. And just a month or two ago I thought a fellow composer's MIDI recording in the composition chapter was in fact him playing, but it was just a MIDI simulation of his piece (and a very good one at that).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:20 pm 

Thanks both of you for the comments.

Riley - I'm not sure what you mean about MIDI, but I'm not really an expert on that. I've heard MIDI recordings, but they always sound flat with no dynamics to me - not my thing really.

For myself I hear some slight flaws always, and this recording is no exception! If you haven't played a lot, you may not be aware that this is one of those quite easy pieces that sounds a lot harder than it is. :) My 11 year old surely impresses when he plays it, as have many children at many a recital. The fingering rolls very naturally under the fingers. It also helps that I've played this piece since I was around that age. ;)

I'd guess out of all the recordings I've submitted, this is probably by far the most elementary. Just thought it may be helpful as a tool to demostrate dynamics changes in such a commonly played piece.

Thanks!

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:17 am 

Quote:
Riley - I'm not sure what you mean about MIDI, but I'm not really an expert on that. I've heard MIDI recordings, but they always sound flat with no dynamics to me - not my thing really.

I've created a topic about MIDI recordings, to illustrate what these files mean more in the Resources chapter:

http://pianosociety.com/new/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5608&p=57182#p57182

Quote:
My 11 year old surely impresses when he plays it, as have many children at many a recital. The fingering rolls very naturally under the fingers. It also helps that I've played this piece since I was around that age.

I agree it helps to be acquainted with a piece for a long time. Listening to Silva's recording, he takes tempo breaks and is more ruminative in some sections.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:12 pm 

Agreed - very good!
Just one small thing: I think we could use another 1/2 second of silence at the beginning of the recording. Just to save time, this is the comment I was going to make for the prestissimo Beethoven opus 109 you just posted - only the silence at the start is almost 0 seconds. It can really startle the listener.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:09 am 

Agreed. This is definitely in the easier-showpiece category. I teach this one alongside Clementi sonatas, Wild Rider, that level. Nicely done. You definitely nailed the perpetual motion clockwork feel of this piece, without losing dynamic shading or phrasing. I can tell you're a human :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:24 pm 

Thanks to everyone for listening and commenting!

Stu wrote:
Just one small thing: I think we could use another 1/2 second of silence at the beginning of the recording.
I agree and I'll add some space at the beginning and re-post both pieces. Thank you.
hreichgott wrote:
You definitely nailed the perpetual motion clockwork feel of this piece, without losing dynamic shading or phrasing. I can tell you're a human
Thanks for the kind comments! That's what I was trying to demonstrate for my son...that this piece should still be musical and not just hammered out. And he listened to me and followed at least 5% of my advice! C'est la vie...Takes after his mom. :)

Matt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:51 pm 

Here's an updated version with a little more silence buffer at the beginning.

Thanks!

Matt

Attachments:
File comment: C.P.E. Bach - Solfeggietto in C Minor. Added buffer at beginning.
cpebach-solfeggietto-wyman.mp3 [1.28 MiB]
Downloaded 115 times