Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Rachmaninov, Prelude Op. 23, No. 10 in G flat
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:47 pm 

Hi Riley,

This is actually a replacement recording. Your first response was on 12/13/12 where you commented on the plagal cadence in the coda being too loud. So in the followup recording now posted, using your suggestion I toned down the very last chord in both hands which now better comports with the sigh motif elsewhere in the score. But yes, in your current message, that sign motif also ends not just the prelude, but the entire set.

I know for sure that Rachmaninoff played the entire Op. 23 set at the Prison Concert charitable event at the Pillar Hall in Moscow. Probably it has been played in it's entirety at other recitals. I wouldn't rule it out. Generally speaking though, artists usually seem in structuring programs to select no more than three of the preludes, all contrasting. If I were a prominent international artist ( :lol: ) my dream would be to play the entire Opp. 23 and 32 Preludes in Moscow's Great Hall and then use the Op. 3, No. 2 (C#m) as the encore! :)

Thanks for listening again to this music. If you're not familiar with the 10 preludes in Op. 23 and the 13 in Op. 32, do listen to both sets--they are extraordinary! I actually prefer them to the Etudes Tableaux, as I believe these preludes contain more musical content. Others have agreed with me on that point of view.

Thanks again.

David

Post subject: Re: Rachmaninov, Prelude Op. 23, No. 10 in G flat
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:14 pm 

Hi Matt,

Thanks for listening and your nice compliment on my playing. I appreciate it!

David