Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Warmup improvisation
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:30 am 

I thought I'd share this: from day two of my autumn recording session, more of my kitschy sensibilities. :wink: Funny near the start when I look behind me to see if the engineer is arriving. Thereafter I seem really absorbed: actually in retrospect I'm rather fond of this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJae5UARjGE

Post subject: Re: Warmup improvisation
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:20 am 

Very great melody to start off with and amazing decorative passagework with octaves, appregios and the like, with rather nice contrasting sections. I do feel that after 3:49+ things you were a bit indulgent with the playing and took too long to get to the end somehow, but very pleasing and enjoyable nonetheless. Must be really cool to rattle this off to others and stuff for entertainment!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:44 am 
Site Admin

Wow, Andrew! Liberace would have loved you!! :)
It looks like arpeggios are no problem for you. Did you practice them a lot when you were younger?

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:48 am 

Affinity wrote:
Very great melody to start off with and amazing decorative passagework with octaves, appregios and the like, with rather nice contrasting sections. I do feel that after 3:49+ things you were a bit indulgent with the playing and took too long to get to the end somehow, but very pleasing and enjoyable nonetheless. Must be really cool to rattle this off to others and stuff for entertainment!

Thanks, it's amazing just how well it turned out, considering I didn't sit down at the piano with any specific musical intent in mind, just a matter of going through various technical figurations (arpeggios, scales, octaves, double notes) as a method of warming up and being relaxed. You're right, it does start to waffle after a while. 3.49 itself appears to be a brief reference to Verdi's "Miserere", not sure how that crept in!

pianolady wrote:
Wow, Andrew! Liberace would have loved you!! :)
It looks like arpeggios are no problem for you. Did you practice them a lot when you were younger?

I'll dig out the candelabra next time :wink:
I did do a lot of arpeggio and scale practice when I was a child, but I think it's probably more relevant that I've played so much Liszt and that operatic transcriptions tend to be absolutely riddled with this sort of ornamentation.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

Very enviable to be able to sit down and just let it flow so spontaneously. I wish I could do that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:02 am 

techneut wrote:
Very enviable to be able to sit down and just let it flow so spontaneously. I wish I could do that.

I've improvised all my piano-playing life, right from when I was a child. Improvisation is probably when I'm at my most content, musically speaking.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:46 am 

I really like the harmonies you use in this. They do remind me of Liszt esp. the Consolations. Do you have a plan of some sort in mind when you improvise?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:00 pm 

hreichgott wrote:
I really like the harmonies you use in this. They do remind me of Liszt esp. the Consolations. Do you have a plan of some sort in mind when you improvise?

It's all pretty unplanned, though in a certain sense I have a formula that if I find a nice progression I like to play around with it and return to it after contrasting material: it helps create a sense of structure (albeit quite simplistic), rather than what happens sometimes where an improvisation is effectively a rambling set of not very well-connected ideas.

When in major keys I'm fond of mediant harmonies, and of modulations to a major third above or below the existing key. Also V9 and V13 crop up rather a lot; they are a fairly standard romantic harmonic trait however.