Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Major Rewrite of First Composition - Prelude in C Minor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:29 pm 

I just completed a major rewrite of my first composition and have submitted the revised version to the International Rachmaninov Piano Composition Competition in Germany. The earlier version is also on the board with the title of "First Composition" if you want to contrast the versions. I have been studying composition privately for about a year now and was able to greatly improve upon my crudely written first version. There are still things I would change if I were writing it again from scratch, but time to move on to newer efforts...

Attachments:
File comment: Score
Prelude in C Minor - Final.pdf [82.35 KiB]
Downloaded 197 times
File comment: MP3 version of Sibelius rending
Prelude in C Minor - Final.mp3 [3.43 MiB]
Downloaded 208 times

Post subject: Re: Major Rewrite of First Composition - Prelude in C Minor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:20 am 

This is everywhere a more polished work than the original, especially the changed A section into something more flowing, enthralling and interesting (though the old one had its initial charms). I suggest changing the first note of the left hand in bar 17 to D instead of B, and perhaps add a Eb to the left hand to bar 19.

Not sure what you changed in the B section but it sounds good here, especially the inflection at bar 32-35. You could try to work up to a E for the right hand instead of C for a higher sense of tension on bar 55; even though it is good as it is now, there seems to be something missing in that 'climax'.

The return is a minor inspiration as well; the 5-note figure works well with the piece, and the returns of the B section is logical. I do think the Vivace sits too much on the tonic (and subdominant) for it to have any real tension (takes the wind out of b. 66-68), but it sounds a mildly convincing, and is far better than your old A section return. In general, great improvement! Looking forward to listening to more of your compositions.