Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grieg - Solveig's Cradle Song
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:59 am 
Site Admin

Richard, I had a discussion with Monica abut this one's sound quality, and feel like I've been rash to put this up. As Monica noted, if someone dips into PS randomly and finds this, the first couple of bars could make them run away or at least get a wrong impression of the standard quality here.
Can't you record this on a decent piano, or maybe get this thing tuned ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:20 pm 

I suppose so, but it will take some time. Meanwhile I take it you will be removing it.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

richard66 wrote:
I suppose so, but it will take some time. Meanwhile I take it you will be removing it.

Well hmmm... I'd feel a bit rotten about removing it. Maybe we can just cut off the first few bars ? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:38 pm 

That is no problem. If you remember I myself expressed surprise at your including it, so you do not need to fell overripe or whatever it is. Monica once removed the Arietta and she is still alive, though with tendonitis (though she did make up some excuse not to meet me in person! :D). Or you can use these supermodern editing programmes: you cut out the first four bars, get the next four, put them an octave higher and there we are! :!:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

richard66 wrote:
Monica once removed the Arietta and she is still alive, though with tendonitis (though she did make up some excuse not to meet me in person! :D).

:lol: :lol:

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

richard66 wrote:
Monica once removed the Arietta

Which I had probably put up there to start with. Guess who's the boss around here :P

So, I'm afraid we'll scratch the Solvejg for now. Rest assured it is not your playing this time.
Actually, did you never consider a digital ? Not that I like them much but they might sound better than your upright.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
Actually, did you never consider a digital ? Not that I like them much but they might sound better than your upright.

That's a good idea! I don't care much for digitals either, but I forgot to say this earlier....Richard, what bothered me most was your recording setup. With a digital you can get a totally hiss-free recording. But the digital piano does have to be good one, or else it sounds to thin and tinkly.

I bet you can find a good used digital maybe on Ebay or something like that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:40 pm 

I cannot say the idea of digital fills me with any enthusiasm. I once had something similar and I passed it on. Somehow I feEL better not playing than using something electronic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

richard66 wrote:
I cannot say the idea of digital fills me with any enthusiasm. I once had something similar and I passed it on. Somehow I feEL better not playing than using something electronic.

I sympathize with that. Even though a digital would save so much money on tuning, and remove the anxiety about sour notes, I don't think I would want to play on one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, I have a digital and also a grand. When my kids are still sleeping, I have the option of going downstairs to practice on my digital, but I hardly ever do that because I'd rather wait until I can get on my grand. It's like there is no life in a digital, it doesn't draw me. Whereas, the grand is like a living thing that I attempt (on almost a daily basis) to coax into submitting wondrous sounds and emotions. Is that weird...? :)

p.s. Richard, see Andrew's note in the General forum about translating Spanish.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:57 pm 

You do not worry about sour notes, but you do about the electricity failing, which does happen now and then.

I shall have to invent a scheme to get hold of a real piano. I would buy one with the money I eventually will get, but first I have to convince my wife that it is best to invest 30,000.00 on a good (even if used) grand than buying a house on the never-never plan and make the last payment at 85 and dying next day of old age, having seen the value of the house become less than that of the morgage, as has happened not to long! :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:55 am 

Hmm. I'm sure you can get a decent used grand for an awful lot less than 30k (true for whichever of €/£/$ you mean). I am in any case not at all convinced that a grand is a terribly wise investment unless you can also afford a house big enough to put it in, and I don't just mean that there is enough floor space for it. Unless you have the (spatial) volume and the acoustic that can actually take the sound the piano will produce, which implies high ceilings and a room large enough to seat at least (say) ten guests in reasonable comfort whom you might entertain before or after dinner with your playing, there is simply no point and I would say you are better off with an upright. You don't want the piano (lid down, protective cover and decorative tablecloth in place) to have to double as a sideboard from which the buffet is to be served.

A big piano and a big house (or at least a house with at least one big room) are not things you can trade off against each other - they go together. I'm sure you know that fine well and were just joking. Besides, you need to budget for other potential expenses. What if your daughter turns out to be highly musical and is drawn to a non-piano expensive instrument? She might in due course require a top notch instrument costing 20k or more. There is a good reason why uprights were invented, and it's not only down to floor space. They are perfectly adequate for most domestic situations and quite a lot of them actually have a rather nice sound.

Although I have regular access to two modest-size grands (both (is it allowed to say "unfortunately"?) Steinways), one of them about 120 years old, the other nearly new, I actually prefer the sound of my own piano, even though it is "only" an upright, and only 40 inches tall (but overstrung). It's an Everett which my (late) parents bought new in Kansas City in 1953 (supplied by the Jenkins Music Co if that means anything to anyone) and which (due to my dad's job) has endured quite a few international house moves in its time. I like it so much that any other piano somehow feels and sounds inferior. I don't know whether that is simply down to "what I'm used to" or I was just lucky to have grown up with such a nice instrument. For a few years (about 15 years ago) I had to put up with a cheap upright (£600 - roughly 10 times the cost of a tuning), which was all I could afford. It was definitely inferior (though perhaps not quite as bad as your old groaner). Luckily circumstances (which also had their unfortunate sides) reunited me with the old faithful I grew up with.

So my recommendation for when you part company with the old groaner would be: Don't get a digital, and (unless you have money to burn, which seems unlikely for someone who has mentioned worrying about next month's food bill) don't get a grand. Get a decent upright, but accept that you may have to try a few, and that they won't sound the same in your home as in the shop, so make sure you negotiate terms which let you change your mind as often as you like.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

rainer wrote:
Hmm. I'm sure you can get a decent used grand for an awful lot less than 30k (true for whichever of €/£/$ you mean). I am in any case not at all convinced that a grand is a terribly wise investment unless you can also afford a house big enough to put it in, and I don't just mean that there is enough floor space for it. Unless you have the (spatial) volume and the acoustic that can actually take the sound the piano will produce, which implies high ceilings and a room large enough to seat at least (say) ten guests in reasonable comfort whom you might entertain before or after dinner with your playing, there is simply no point and I would say you are better off with an upright.

Well, my piano is not in a large room with high ceilings but I think it sounds fine. No matter how good an upright is, you will never get a sound as full as a grand. But of course if you don't have the money, then investing in a 'very good' upright is most practical.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:16 pm 

The big room is a factor and is a reason why I would settle for a 1/3 (the next size up from the baby grand). Another consideration is technical: some pieces simply cannot be played on an upright: has anyone tried Albéniz's Leyenda on an upright? It is mechanically impossible! The same goes for Liszt's Consolations (about the only Liszt I have attempted), which seems impossible without the sustaining pedal.

Before I had a Baldwin upright, that cost me Ca. 2,000.00 (bucks) and, when I moved I had to sell it and I fetched something like 600.00. To have it sent to me would have cost more than the original value of the piano, let alone its sale value! Was it good?, Why, yes, thought it was very very loud and my ears would buzz after a practice session.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:39 pm 
Site Admin

richard66 wrote:
The big room is a factor and is a reason why I would settle for a 1/3 (the next size up from the baby grand). Another consideration is technical: some pieces simply cannot be played on an upright: has anyone tried Albéniz's Leyenda on an upright? It is mechanically impossible! The same goes for Liszt's Consolations (about the only Liszt I have attempted), which seems impossible without the sustaining pedal.

You must mean the sostenuto pedal. Doesn't every piano have a sustain pedal? Whenever I play the 3rd (I think) Consolation I use the sostenuto pedal (the middle pedal).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next