Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Chopin - Trois Nouvelles Etude no. 3 and Prelude 28-18
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:08 am 

Hi Monica,

I think these two numbers sound quite well played. In the prelude you feature the wonderful rhythmic drive. Maybe just a tad more power is needed there to make it even more declarative. The etude sounds like a tricky one to play given the different touches required in the RH--legato, staccato, slurs, etc. You articulate it all convincingly in my opinion. I enjoyed hearing both.

David

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:53 am 

StuKautsch wrote:
Tendonitis - I'm sure you already know to use heat therapy? The beanbag you throw in the microwave and then wrap around whatever (in my case it's elbows and an injured shoulder)?? In a younger person it can be a result of an unrelaxed approach to the keyboard. In someone my age, my doctor says "You're simply wearing out, my friend." Then there's injuries... (shoveling snow without switching arms occasionally will do it).

Time to visit a new medicine man, if you ask me.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:55 am 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
It's just the same old thing - tendonitis that I've been dealing with for years now. This particular piece hurt my RH a lot because of all the 9th intervals. There's one spot near the end that was extremely hard for me to land correctly, so I had to practice it a hundred times.
Given a condition like this, I'd avoid pieces that so specifically go against the grain.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:01 am 

pianolady wrote:
richard66 wrote:
Well well, the Etude now actually like Chopin. A great impovement. I just do not like this talk of hands hurting: that is not at all good. I have played my share of hair-raising stuff and my hand has never hurt.

Thank you, Richard.
It's just the same old thing - tendonitis that I've been dealing with for years now. This particular piece hurt my RH a lot because of all the 9th intervals. There's one spot near the end that was extremely hard for me to land correctly, so I had to practice it a hundred times.

There must be something wrong with your technique. You were so forward when you thought the keys on my old groaner were uneven that I am surprised you let this pass, unless, of course, this tendonitis is not related to the piano. I had something on the top joint of the right pinky which was not related to playing, as it came at a time I was not too active practising and then would not hurt when playing. It has since vanished and all the time I have played two or three hours a day.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

StuKautsch wrote:
Well, this was a confusing stream. I'd been away for a couple of weeks (the past week due to that storm) and listened to two recordings which made sense only after reading the entire message stream (since the recordings had been reposted).

Anyway, yes, the Etude sounds fine, and I don't know what it sounded like before. And thank you for adding to the Society's repertoire.
Enough has been said about the Prelude. Due to cowardice, I've never learned the piece and don't feel like critiquing the work of someone braver than me!

Tendonitis - I'm sure you already know to use heat therapy? The beanbag you throw in the microwave and then wrap around whatever (in my case it's elbows and an injured shoulder)?? In a younger person it can be a result of an unrelaxed approach to the keyboard. In someone my age, my doctor says "You're simply wearing out, my friend." Then there's injuries... (shoveling snow without switching arms occasionally will do it).

Thank you for listening, Stewart. And OMG, I didn't realize you were in New Jersey....what a terrible mess; I feel sorry for everybody on the east coast. I hope your power is on?

Rachfan wrote:
Hi Monica,
I think these two numbers sound quite well played. In the prelude you feature the wonderful rhythmic drive. Maybe just a tad more power is needed there to make it even more declarative. The etude sounds like a tricky one to play given the different touches required in the RH--legato, staccato, slurs, etc. You articulate it all convincingly in my opinion. I enjoyed hearing both.
David

Thank you for listening, David. I guess I should eat my Wheaties before I attempt this one again.... :)

techneut wrote:
Given a condition like this, I'd avoid pieces that so specifically go against the grain.

I know.....I was just trying to find something Chopin that we didn't already have and felt I could play this one. It wasn't so bad at first because I was just casually playing through it. The trouble started when I got serious with it.

richard66 wrote:
There must be something wrong with your technique. You were so forward when you thought the keys on my old groaner were uneven that I am surprised you let this pass, unless, of course, this tendonitis is not related to the piano. I had something on the top joint of the right pinky which was not related to playing, as it came at a time I was not too active practising and then would not hurt when playing. It has since vanished and all the time I have played two or three hours a day.

My piano is actually very well balanced. That's one of the reasons I bought it in the first place. The problem is definitely my technique. I am too tense. My last piano teacher often touched my shoulder when I was playing to remind me to relax.

But you know....talking about what hurts us.... the thing that hurts my wrists the most is painting a wall. Something about that motion just kills me. I can't paint a wall anymore.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
The trouble started when I got serious with it.
Doesn't it always :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:58 pm 

I was just reading an article about it:

http://www.pianomap.com/injuries/index.html

Four of the points there are things that I was taught:

forearm parallel to the keys
curved and not curled or straight fingers
never use wrist movement to play a note
never play a black key with the thumb or pinky if another fingering is available (that is, avoid twisting the hand).

Last edited by richard66 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
pianolady wrote:
The trouble started when I got serious with it.
Doesn't it always :roll:

:P

richard66 wrote:
I was just reading an article about it:
http://www.pianomap.com/injuries/index.html
Thank you for the link, Richard. I'll read it soon.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:18 pm 

Hi Monica,
I just listened to your recordings and commend you for your attempts. I thought the etude was delightful, if perhaps under tempo, but generally well executed and voiced -- and quite musical. The prelude did not achieve the same level as the etude for me (and for you apparently). I think that both Andrew and Joe gave you great remarks. Perhaps while you give the works time to simmer, you could continue to play them mentally with score review; this may also allow you to discover some layers/levels of the pieces that you had not seen yet. I am amazed at how much I continue to discover years later in works that I had programmed in the past.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:54 am 
Site Admin

Hi Eddy, and thank you for listening. I don't think I will work on the etude anymore because it hurts my hands too much. I have the prelude memorized though, so I might as well video-record it probably next weekend. I know it's not to everyone's liking (my playing it), but at least I can sort of get it out of my system then.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:44 pm 

this etude is nicely played, Monica, mas it's a pitty that you didn't record the most beautiful Ab major one. =D

and you're crazy to play those crazy Chopin preludes I've always been purposely away. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:52 am 
Site Admin

Thank you, Luis. I'm not sure what mas means, but I am currently working on the one in A-flat.
I'm not sure what to do about this prelude. Some days it goes pretty well, and then the next day it doesn't. I still have a goal to video-record it....just have to catch a good day. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:58 pm 

'mas' = 'BUT', in portuguese.

Can't believe I thought in portuguese while writing here. :lol: