Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Mendelssohn - Three Fantasies or Caprices Op. 16
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:02 pm 

Same here: I become exasperated while playing and hearing something in the room vibrating in sympathy. At times it was one of the screws on the lid, other times the score rack (is that what it is called?) that, in contact with the lid, vibrated, at others a nearby bell or silver spoon.

That should give you some idea what to hunt for.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:46 am 

pianolady wrote:
What I hear is more of a metallic sound...like something jiggling. The sound of dampers on the strings is a swooshing sound. You probably just need something tightened or oiled. Have someone crawl under your piano while you play and see if they can find where the sound is coming from.

you're right. I just checked right now, it has nothing to do with the dampers striking on the keys. But it is something of the pedal mechanism. If I just press the pedal, without even touching the keys, I hear the strings vibrating (and the noise, of course).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:52 am 

luissarro wrote:
you're right. I just checked right now, it has nothing to do with the dampers striking on the keys. But it is something of the pedal mechanism. If I just press the pedal, without even touching the keys, I hear the strings vibrating (and the noise, of course).
Because you say "and the noise", it looks like you are describing two different problems. You have the pedal mechanism making one kind of noise, and you also have "the strings vibrating" when the dampers lift off them. This second type of noise is, I think, what Monica means by "swooshing sound", and it is usually much more noticeable when the dampers lift off the strings than when they land on them. It is presumably caused by very slight friction between the surface fibres of the felt dampers and the strings, and it will probably never go away, it will just gradually become less noticeable as the fibres settle down, so it's a problem which is much worse on new pianos than on ones which have been played for a few years.

It may be that the mechanism noise also then echoes around the strings, so when you get the first problem fixed, perhaps the second one will be less bad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:49 pm 

:cry:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

Ohhhh....don't cry, Luis. It's okay....it's really just a minor thing (probably). Your piano technician can fix it in a jiffy.
btw - Rainer is exactly right about the dampers making a swooshing sound louder when your piano is new. Mine did that too. Can't remember if I already told you this, but I even called Yamaha about it....they thought I was a little goofy. But if the swooshing sound bothers you that much, close your lid. That blocks the sound considerably.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:07 pm 

And then, of course, youi get that peculiar and unmistakable sound that is made when a fly rubs it legs together. When this happens on the soundbox it is partcularly noticeable. Recordings done in summer are particularly troublesome in humid climes, where the buzzing of any passing mosquito is picked up by the new generstion of ultrasensitive microphones.

:roll:

Just as well that this is not the HS (Harpsichord Society): hear that mechanism and one will never again say a piaon is noisy!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

The sound of dust gathering on the piano is particularly troublesome too, as well as the growing of one's hair while playing :P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

A fly? :lol: :lol: :lol: You are cracking me up! Are you sure you don't mean a cricket or grasshopper?

Well, if dust and hair growing are bothersome, then we need to also add the sound of electricity coming out of light switches. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

And don't forget the constant patter of cosmic particles raining down on the earth. That must be what you are hearing sometimes :P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:45 pm 

Youse got the spirit of my comment and why I made it. :D Will anyone else get it too? :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
And don't forget the constant patter of cosmic particles raining down on the earth. That must be what you are hearing sometimes :P

Ahh...so that's what it is. So annoying... :P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:59 pm 

richard66 wrote:
Just as well that this is not the HS (Harpsichord Society): hear that mechanism and one will never again say a piaon is noisy!

My piano teacher was a harpsichordist. He told me that controling the noise of the harpsichord mechanism is part of a good harpsichord player (and a very difficult one!).

richard66 wrote:
And then, of course, youi get that peculiar and unmistakable sound that is made when a fly rubs it legs together.

They are planning something!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:35 pm 

Nicely played! I definitely like no.2 the best; it has real sparkle to it. The others are slightly stereotypical early romantic offerings, though I think you caught a pleasingly improvisational aspect in the third.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:11 pm 

Thanks, Andrew!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:44 am 

Hi Luis,

The best known of these three fantasies is No. 2, the Scherzo. You play all three well, but No. 2 in particular in my opinion. You get it right up to tempo too. Sometimes it's played too slowly. You give it a crisp articulation with close attention to touch, and it flows very nicely. I have to admit that Mendelssohn is not a favorite of mine, although I've played many of his Songs without Words. I don't think he was in the same league as Chopin, Schumann and Liszt. I find his music a bit too syrupy, and it often strikes me as superficial and predictable. So I actually took a greater interest in your playing than the music per se.

Your new piano sounds good. If you hear an odd noise now and then, it's usually in the regulation of the action or the pedal mechanism. Your tech can iron those out for you, I'm sure.