Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Today's composer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:21 pm 

What is the algorithm for choosing and displaying "Today's Composer"?

It's probably just my imagination, but it seems like this is the second time in the past week that it's been Palmgren, and it also seems to me that there have been 3 composers in the past 36 hours. Again, probably just my poor memory.

I did not pay attention to this feature for years, but have been using it lately for educational purposes.

Post subject: Re: Today's composer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:52 am 
Site Admin

StuKautsch wrote:
What is the algorithm for choosing and displaying "Today's Composer"?

It's probably just my imagination, but it seems like this is the second time in the past week that it's been Palmgren, and it also seems to me that there have been 3 composers in the past 36 hours. Again, probably just my poor memory.

I did not pay attention to this feature for years, but have been using it lately for educational purposes.

The algorithm is very simplistic. At a fixed time every day, a script picks a random number from the set 1..N where N is the number of composers,
and it will display that composer. It's possible it will pick the same one the next day, but that probability is probably very small.
It could be your browser keeps it cached, even though the page in question specifies no caching. To see 3 different ones in 36 hours should be impossible, unless I manually generate a new page (sometimes have to do that for troubleshooting).

It's a dumb feature really, as we do nothing at all to promote the composer in question...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:57 pm 

Thanks, Chris.
Like any feature, there can be uses for it - I'm making myself read them and sometimes listen because my breadth of acquaintance is not what it should be.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

StuKautsch wrote:
Thanks, Chris.
Like any feature, there can be uses for it - I'm making myself read them and sometimes listen because my breadth of acquaintance is not what it should be.

Glad to hear it is being found of use despite the lame implementation. Sometimes it will even point to an empty page with just a photograph :x
But yes, I guess it may cause people to investigate a composer they'd never heard of.