Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Scriabin, Feuillet d'album, Op. 45, No. 1
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:18 pm 

Today I’ve posted another miniature from Alexander Scriabin’s middle period drawn from his Trois Morceaux, Op. 45, No. 1, titled “Feuillet d’album” first published in 1905. The tempo marking is andante piacevole. Perhaps what Scriabin had in mind was a memory of a youthful flirtation. I hope you’ll enjoy hearing it.

Comments welcome.

David

Piano: Baldwin Model L Artist Grand (6’3”) with lid fully open
Recorder: Korg MR-1000
Microphones: Earthworks TC-20 matched pair of small diaphragm omni-directional condenser mics in A-B configuration

Scriabin - Op. 45, No. 1 (1:16)

Last edited by Rachfan on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:17 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Scriabin, Feuillet d'album, Op. 45, No. 1
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:33 am 
Site Admin

Hi David,
I'm just doing a brief check on things, but don't have time to listen to recordings now. I will listen to this tomorrow for sure. One thing though, please fix the file name (not sure what you've got here.... :lol: :) )

It should be:

scriabin-45-1-april.

Thanks in advance. :) See you tomorrow.....

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:05 am 

Hi David,

I had a listen through, I haven't heard this piece. The ebb-and-flow type phrasing you use here is nice. I would have liked a little slower of a tempo, I don't know what piacevole means but it sounds italian :) we have so many different pianists from so many different countries, someone ought to be able to translate it 8)

I have to agree with Monica, the tag is odd, it shows up like this on my computer upon being downloaded:

%27album%2C 45%2C 1 :?

besides that the tag info looks good.

Sounds nice,

Riley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:06 am 

Hi Monica,

AVS Audio Converter adds .mp3 at the end of the file name, and if I delete it, AVS adds it right back again to differentiate it from a WAV file, so I can't control or prevent that. I believe it went through fine for the last piece, Scriabin's Prelude in B flat, Op. 37, No. 1. Could you try again it and see what happens? Or if it doesn't work, can you please delete the .mp3 at you end? I'd do it if it would allow me to, but I can't alter it at this end. I'll resubmit the recording now.

Thanks.

David

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:41 am 

Hi Riley,

Thanks for the compliment on my playing. I appreciate that.

Andante paciavole means at a moderate tempo that is pleasing and graceful. There has never been a reliable and generally accepted chart that converts the major tempo markings into a range of metronome settings, although there have been many attempts to do so. Anyway, I believe that andante at top speed would be a setting of a quarter note = approximately 88. However, Scriabin calls for a metronome setting here of a quarter = 108 (actually moderato)! I've noticed in some instances that Scriabin is prone to kill a great melody due to impetuous and excessive speed. So as it is I'm playing this piece andante at around a quarter = 80 in what I consider to be still within the true upper range of andante. Where I've already taken a liberty as it is on the tempo, given Scriabin's preferred metronome setting, I would be hesitant to lower it even more.

I reloaded the file name and hope it works this time.

Thanks for your help.

David

Last edited by Rachfan on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:48 am 

A good one, David! Even to me this Scriabin says something, and I am no big fan of his.

Piacevole means pleasant and andante is the present participle of andare, to go (in present-day Italian - obviously in the past it also meant to walk). This verbal form is harly ever used and the verb having changed sense, it is often only foreign music lovers who know what it means. I would say the best translation is "At a pleasant walking pace". I certainly would do it no faster. Stick to your guns!

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:58 pm 

Hi Richard,

I'm glad you enjoyed this album leaf of Scriabin.

Yes, andante is often said to be "at a going pace". I recall reading in Rubinstein's autobiography his frustration at the lack of generally accepted meanings and understandings of tempo markings. As for andante, he was once in a room with another artist speaking about this very subject. So Artur got up from his chair and started walking "at a going pace" representing andante. The other pianist then stood up but walked at a different "going pace". Therein lies the conundrum, which, by the way, will never be solved if it hasn't already during the past 400 years of music history. Or at least I won't be holding my breath! From another perspective this is actually a good thing, as it confers some flexibility on pianists in the matter of choosing a tempo for a given work. So yes, I won't be changing my mind on this one.

David

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

Ok I just listened. Sounded very nice, David! I like the piece and I like that it's short. I like short pieces these days.

Regarding the file name...the file ending mp3 is the part that's correct. It's all the stuff in front of it that was all garbled. When you upload a file and then click submit, you can see the attachment and how it's named. Didn't it look funny to you? I would think it would look the same to everyone, but I could be wrong.

The replaced file looks fine now. I'll put it on the site after Riley uploads it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:09 pm 

David,

I have replaced your attachment with a link, check to see that it plays ok.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:44 pm 

Hi Riley,

Yes, the play link works fine. Thanks!

When you get to the composer link, I'm thinking that should be Scriabin, Morceaux. Would you agree?

David

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

I put this in the miscellaneous section, since another Feuillet was already there. :)
But now I see that it is from a set of Morceaux so I will move it. (I wish I would have known ahead of time...)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:22 pm 

Hi Monica,

Thanks for your nice compliment on my playing. I appreciate it!

Quote:
I like the piece and I like that it's short. I like short pieces these days.

Usually I concentrate on character pieces and try not to go over six pages. The reason is that my practice time is very limited. But there's another factor too. Ever since I was very young, I've been in love with the genre of the character piece. Once in a while here, I feel obligated to offer a big piece, which I do, but when I return to the character pieces, it feels just like arriving home again. I think of myself as a miniaturist, not in a pejorative way, but just by personal preference.

I think we've drawn even with each other. Yes, I missed the tag when I submitted the music file, but... I believe you missed my mention of the Trois Morceaux in my initial post. Shows that we're both human. :lol:

Good idea! Moving that Scriabin--Miscellaneous "Feuillet d'album", Op. 58, played by K. Jensen to Morceaux consolidates all three recordings into one place .

Thanks for your help on this.

David

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:36 pm 

Beautiful piece but too short! Your playing is open and detailed as always but there is limited time to develop ideas. Perhaps that's the difficulty behind it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:35 pm 

Hi Pantelis,

Quote:
Beautiful piece but too short!

Yes, I know. I've heard this from a couple of other listeners as well. They wanted the beautiful music to continue... but it doesn't. This album leaf is only a couple of pages long--a true miniature.

As I mentioned to Riley earlier in this thread, the first issue I had was to find an effective tempo. So I lowered it from Scriabin's choice of a quarter note = 108 down to around 80, but still in the upper range of andante. That helped in imparting the expression. The other matter was that although I visualized this piece as a dalliance, I wanted it to develop with a momentary fervor not often heard in this music, and feel I accomplished that well. While I certainly played close attention to such things as phrasing, dynamics, voice leading, pedaling, the long line etc., my choice of tempo and wanting the sound not to be pallid (for ex. Horowitz or Neuhaus) were both important considerations to me in my interpretation and wanting to put the piece across to the listener.

Although perhaps too brief a vignette of life, I'm glad it still perked your interest. Thanks for listening!

David

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:01 pm 

Wonderful piece, and wonderfully played.
For me, it works at this tempo; I notice that the other recording that the Society has is the same playing length. Perhaps someone will see fit to do this at a slower tempo and post it.
I can't remember if anyone else pointed out how good your phrasing is in this recording - it always seems to "know where it is going". Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:30 pm 

Hi Stu,

Thanks for your compliments on my playing. As to the phrasing, I don't think of that as a structural element as much as a musical intent to express the mood of the music while playing the long line of the piece. In the late romantic genre in particular, I believe that phrasing is the sine qua non.

I do think this piece could be played at a slower tempo yet, as long as still falls into andante. One thing I like about the one I chose here is that it suggests some impetuosity and ardor as the dalliance unfolds in this too brief vignette.

Thanks for listening!

David

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

Beautifully done ! The playing is both affectionate and authoritative. Nothing here to nag about, not even a page turn :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:25 am 

Hi Chris,

I'm so glad you liked my rendition. I play it with a bit more urgency and fervor than most, but just about everyone who has heard it gives it high marks. And no page turns! :lol: That's one of the reasons I love miniatures. Thanks for listening.

David

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:05 am 

I've heard this piece before and even tried playing it once a few years ago, but I wouldn't have imagined it capable of being as seductive and passionate as you have played it here. As people have already said, the ebbs and flows of tempo are wonderful and entirely suitable. It swayed me from the very first note. Very beautifully played.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:23 pm 

Hi Affinity,

Thanks so much for your kind comments. The "seductive and passionate" sound is exactly what I was trying to achieve. So I'm delighted that I was able to put it across to the listeners that way. I'm glad that you thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for listening.

David

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:28 am 

Listened to this a couple of days ago but didn't have time to comment. Very nicely played, well phrased and full of colour and well-judged rubato. However, the file has now somehow disappeared (re-listened via the recording at pianostreet) and is showing up as 0.00 on the new recordings..?!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:42 am 

I tried to listen to your recording, David, but it doesn't work here, either.

Post subject: Re: Scriabin, Feuillet d'album, Op. 45, No. 1 HELP!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:16 am 

Hi Chris, Monica, or Riley

Andrew and Hye-Jin notified me that the original recording I posted here was not functioning. I tried to play it just now and all you get is a series of clicks. I reloaded it, but could not delete the original file. Can you please assist to restore this? Thanks!

Hye-Jin, in the meantime you can click on the second file showing the paperclip to hear the piece. Thanks for your patience!

David

Last edited by Rachfan on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Scriabin, Feuillet d'album, Op. 45, No. 1 HELP!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:09 am 

Hi Andrew,

I'm glad you were able to play the file a couple of days ago, but sorry to hear you had to go to another website to hear it again. I've left word with Monica about the problem, so hopefully it can be rectified.

Thanks you for your compliments on my playing of this album leaf. Coming from you it means a lot to me.

David

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:16 pm 

Hi Everyone,

Good news! Monica reloaded the music file, so it works fine now. Thanks again, Monica.

David

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:45 am 

David, I finally could listen to it (and did it many times :D ). Just as Andrew wrote, your phrasing, rubato and the colors you put into this little piece must be highly praised! Just a little nag would be about the dynamic. To my ears, the process from the piano to the poco forte building a climax is admittedly very well executed through the agogic etc., but regarding the dynamic not so dramatic as I wished myself. I know it could be your artistic choice or it could be just the home-recording equipment, but I'm just pointing it out, since I know your devotion to the music and your capability.

I would like to add that at this occasion I searched the words "Album leaf" in internet (I was wondering what is the origin of this naming) and found a satisfactory answer based on the Grove Dictionary in the Wikipedia: "Originally, the term "Album leaf" was used for pieces written in dedication to a friend or admirer, to be inserted into their album or autograph book, and not intended for publication. It later lost any association with a particular dedicatee." :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:05 pm 

Hi Hye-Jin

Thanks so much for listening. On your suggestion, we think alike; however I was trying not to test my luck too much with the dynamic. What I mean by that is that most people play the piece at pp to p with the one f played more like mf. I purposely exceeded those boundaries, as I felt the music had more potential. I've been criticized elsewhere by one or two pianists as playing it too aggressively. Nonetheless I think my different interpretation stands out, and I'm glad of it.

I've always thought of an album leaf as an old picture or photo in an album that conjures memories for the observer which is then reflected in the music and playing.

I appreciate your feedback.

David

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:01 pm 

Rachfan wrote:
Hi Hye-Jin

Thanks so much for listening. On your suggestion, we think alike; however I was trying not to test my luck too much with the dynamic. What I mean by that is that most people play the piece at pp to p with the one f played more like mf. I purposely exceeded those boundaries, as I felt the music had more potential. I've been criticized elsewhere by one or two pianists as playing it too aggressively. Nonetheless I think my different interpretation stands out, and I'm glad of it.

I've always thought of an album leaf as an old picture or photo in an album that conjures memories for the observer which is then reflected in the music and playing.

I appreciate your feedback.

David

Think of that most famous of album-leaves, though not called so: Fuer Elise! Not meant for publishing and found among the papers of this Elise. But it was called a "Bagatelle"!

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:25 pm 

Hi Richard,

Indeed. The descriptor is vague, thus begging that the music itself be heard in order to speak for itself. In the same way that a prelude, intermezzo, morceau, lyric piece, song without words, or moment musicaux, will not reveal their secrets by title alone, similarly the album leaf could hold a surprise or two. And if the album leaf suggests an image to the pianist, the image it conjures for a listener could be quite different owing to differing life experiences.

David