Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Bach - WTC A flat
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:20 am 

Quote:
Everyone, please do not post the answer to that question! Make Riley get a score and find out for himself! Every pianist should have a score of the WTC. (If for some reason you can't buy one, there are plenty of public domain versions you can download for free.)

Good thing I have Mr. Hanysz keeping me honest :D

I had a look. It is two thirty second notes on the end of a dotted eighth (and we are in 3/4). No grace notes at all!

A very interesting arrangement of rhythm. It would have to be Bach, the master composer who could come up with something like this :wink:

Riley

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:17 am 

Just had a listen to the preludes and fugues of Bk II, and I must say that you did a fantastic job with them, though I'm used to hearing a more articulated subject for the Ab Major fugue (e.g lifts on the C and the subsequent Eb). I also think you brought out the severity of the G# minor fugue (all the crosses) really well. A minor nitpick is that for the opening statement of the Ab Major fugue of Bk II, you did not observe the tied semiquaver for the Db.

I look forward to more of your Bach recordings.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback ! I'll check up on that tied semiquaver (though I don't think I will re-record for it).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:55 am 

Chris,

As always another fine performance of these wonderful works.

Listening to the Ab from Bk. II, I was taken back by the afinity it has for the Eb Prelude of the Clavierubung (the so called "St. Anne"). The resemblence of the French Overture style with the long notes followed by the 32nds. Then there was the fugue and it hit me that its subject resembles the "St. Anne" fugue subject (which is the hymn that in English we sing "O God, our help from ages past." I'll have to check the dates for these two works to see how they compare (particularly if there are any pre-existing versions of the WTC II Ab).

Also, I noticed that both the Ab and G# minor of Bk. II were filled with the lament motive (5 descending half-steps).

Anyway, I really enjoyed these and am now excited to study these two more closely.

Scott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

Affinity wrote:
A minor nitpick is that for the opening statement of the Ab Major fugue of Bk II, you did not observe the tied semiquaver for the Db.
Everything is being observed here, but you are right in that I leave that Db much too soon. Somehow I had never noticed that.

RSPIll wrote:
Listening to the Ab from Bk. II, I was taken back by the afinity it has for the Eb Prelude of the Clavierubung (the so called "St. Anne"). The resemblence of the French Overture style with the long notes followed by the 32nds. Then there was the fugue and it hit me that its subject resembles the "St. Anne" fugue subject (which is the hymn that in English we sing "O God, our help from ages past." I'll have to check the dates for these two works to see how they compare (particularly if there are any pre-existing versions of the WTC II Ab).
Thanks for that Scott. I don't see more than a passing semblance between the Bk II Ab and the St.Anne P&F which I know well, having performed and recorded it. In fact it's just the first three starting notes that the fugues have in common, and not even in the same rhythm. There is indeed an earlier version version of this fugue, the fughetta in f major from BWV 901.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:29 pm 

To BWV 862: Bravo, excellent, I have enjoyed it very much.
To BWV 863: The same here (except with our usual difference concerning voicing). This is a very deep fugue. I love it! You did an absolutely clear rendition here.
To BWV 886: very good, you seem to throw in one perfect recording after the other.
To BWV 887: Super. Very good non legato. The prelude is a bit like a sonata, with something like a reprise in bar 41. I like especially how you create the repeat of the first part with some nice little ornamentations.

So I don´t know, what to critizice here. You can be proud on these achievements! That´s all great Bach-playing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks ! :D