Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Keyboard's humidity
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:12 am 

Good day,

I have an enquiry regarding my piano's keyboard. I stay in a high rise building (the 9th floor) and from my surronding enviroment, it is always hot. It is Singapore that i reside, its 365 days filled with summer coupled up with warm humids all year round.

So here is my problem - recently my piano's keyboard felt very strange. I lost total control of the keys as it is really hard to produce a nice sound, and sometimes i can see my hands shaked by the keys itself!

Any good advice or suggestions?

P.S - my piano is a Hailun grand 178 model.

Post subject: Re: Keyboard's humidity
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:04 am 

If there is a lot of humidity around, it's possible there is moisture in the hammers. I once played an outdoor concert prior to which the piano was left outside overnight in a waterproof cover. During the night there was a heavy rainstorm and in the morning there was condensation on the piano surface and the hammers were damp: the piano was almost unplayable and the action was very odd indeed. It did dry out and return to normality. I would suggest that you get a dehumidifier or dehumidifying crystals and put them near the piano to try and get the moisture out of the atmosphere. Be aware that some chemical desiccants may have (my chemistry is rusty, so I can't talk with authority about this) corrosive qualities and should not be touched.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:16 am 

Ah, thank you very much! I will try this out today!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:46 pm 

You'll have to purchase either a dehumifier for the room the piano is in; or an air conditioner; or dampp chaser.

Best would be airconditioner, because dampp chaser for the piano does not protect the pinblock. If a dehumidifier, aim for 50 rh, in the higher range, because you're in a moist climate, and it will be cheaper to run the machine at the higher end of the RH range for pianos.

|JG

Last edited by johnlewisgrant on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:14 pm 

Thank you for all the advice given. I believe the problem had been solve during the weekend. I guess its a case close, once again i thank the boeth of you :)!