Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Some salon music
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:11 am
Posts: 732
Location: Edinburgh, UK
With apologies for perhaps lowering the tone of the forum! :wink:

Something I wrote a few years ago and had almost forgotten about, rediscovered it by accident and decided I rather liked it:
Valse Triste http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlMS3jUUTRU

Somewhat cheesy improvisation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySy-sPwCB1U
As in the video description, my teacher told me kitsch comes naturally to me!

Not especially serious music, but hopefully not without some charm.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some salon music
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:30 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8506
You're hired! (for my next party) :lol:

I really like the Valse Triste. Reminds me of Chopin's Waltz in C sharp minor Op. 64, No. 2. Did you intend that? Interesting camera angle too! Neat to see your fingers move like that. I wish I could play arpeggios as well as you can! :)

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some salon music
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:59 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9563
Location: Netherlands
andrew wrote:
Somewhat cheesy improvisation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySy-sPwCB1U
As in the video description, my teacher told me kitsch comes naturally to me!

Hehe, I bet you took that as a compliment :P
Not my taste but nice stuff if you can do it anwhere you find a piano and someone asking you to "play something".
And did they like your waltz in the guitar shop ?

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some salon music
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:18 pm
Posts: 1040
Definitively it starts like Chopin, but then in moves in directions Chopin wouild have not taken, Fun piece, that!

_________________
Richard Willmer
"Please do not shoot the pianist
He is doing his best."
Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some salon music
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:11 am
Posts: 732
Location: Edinburgh, UK
pianolady wrote:
You're hired! (for my next party) :lol:

I really like the Valse Triste. Reminds me of Chopin's Waltz in C sharp minor Op. 64, No. 2. Did you intend that? Interesting camera angle too! Neat to see your fingers move like that. I wish I could play arpeggios as well as you can! :)


Hehe. Yes, I can understand you thinking of the Chopin: in my mind it was a little bit of a cross between the Chopin and the melancholy theme from the Cziffra Valse Triste; it ends with a hint of Cziffra's ending, with not a lot in common inbetween. I quite like the camera angle and view.. technology being what it is nowadays, the camera on my phone is better than my video camera and it's not too difficult to arrange to have the phone at the top end of the keyboard.

richard66 wrote:
Definitively it starts like Chopin, but then in moves in directions Chopin wouild have not taken, Fun piece, that!


Thanks. :) Glad you liked it; I think it's quite a sweet little piece.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some salon music
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:11 am
Posts: 732
Location: Edinburgh, UK
techneut wrote:
andrew wrote:
Somewhat cheesy improvisation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySy-sPwCB1U
As in the video description, my teacher told me kitsch comes naturally to me!

Hehe, I bet you took that as a compliment :P


I had a suspicion you might comment on that. :wink:

I realise in theory it isn't a compliment.. but my teacher has complex tastes and despite his repertoire running from Scarlatti to Messiaen and others, he's quite happy to entertain people with 30s jazz, easy listening and mushy Hollywood numbers, so it's not the criticism it might be.

techneut wrote:
Not my taste but nice stuff if you can do it anwhere you find a piano and someone asking you to "play something". And did they like your waltz in the guitar shop ?


Yes, the waltz went down fine. :) I can improvise pretty much on demand; it's part of my warmup routine and though this is my chosen style, I can do others. Due to bizarre circumstances unlikely to ever be repeated, I once had to improvise an ersatz harpsichord suite on the spot for about 15 mins, it also being the first time I had ever played a harpsichord. It wouldn't have fooled a connoisseur, but it did the job at the time.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group