Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Joerg (or Jörg) Demus
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:02 pm 
Hi

This is my first post at this Forum. I've spent some time reading existing threads to get a feel for the type of posts, questions, and information in this forum.

My first query is about the pianist Joerg Demus. Does anyone have any information, views, or reviews of him? I've found very little information about him other than he was better known as an accompanist rather than as a concert soloist. However a long time ago I stumbled across some MP3s of him playing solo Bach - I can't even remember where they came from - and I was delighted to listen to them. I don't know if his performance related to his more common role as accompanist but it was very clear that the dominant item was the music, not the musician. That may almost sound like a criticism, but I really felt he never came between me and the music by imposing his arbitrary character on it. I'm not sure where he ranks as a pianist, but it was a very refreshing experience to listen to these unmelodramatic recordings of both books of The WTC, Chromatic Fantasy etc

All feedback welcomed

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:09 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum!

Wasn't Joerg Demus a pianist who also played on a historical instruments? I think he is pretty famous but I have just heard in on the radio and own to music of him myself.

Post subject: Re: Joerg (or Jörg) Demus
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:09 pm 

Hello, Robert, yes you are right, Joerg Demus specialized in historical instruments, I believe he has a collection of them.
I remember listening to a wonderful record of his, playing on these historical instruments and I was quite amazed
how he is able to make Harpsichords sing so wonderfully.
He studied with Walter Gieseking, Wilhelm Kempff and Edwin Fischer.
He is also very kind and helpful. I remember, contacting him because I could not understand
why it was so difficult for me as a total beginner to study Clementi's "Introduction to the Art of playing on the Piano Forte" (1801).
I wrote to him and he very kindly explained to me that at that time beginners were already taught by their parents/relatives etc.,
before they approached Clementi's Introduction.
I am very grateful because his explanations made everything much clearer for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:31 am 
Site Admin

Hi Kristinaolga,
Please check posting dates before you reply. It does not make sense to reply to a 4.5 year old posting. The original posters are not even here anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:44 am 

techneut wrote:
Hi Kristinaolga,
Please check posting dates before you reply. It does not make sense to reply to a 4.5 year old posting. The original posters are not even here anymore.

I am sorry, techneut, that I forgot to have a look at the posting dates.

I am just so enthusiastic about Joerg Demus because he is such a rare inspiration
and he gives the listener/beginner an introduction to the wonderful singing tones of original instruments.

Many modern instruments these days do not really really sing or inspire the listener anymore as they should.

I do hope that the anonymous writer of the original post comes back to see what I have written,
because Joerg Demus is truly as inspiring as Thurston Dart, George Malcolm and other pianists
who made sure that the beginner of the Square-Piano-Forte has a chance to discover and listen
and be inspired by the wonderful sound and singing of these original instruments.

I shall take great care in the future of the posting dates.

Thanks from Kristinaolga.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:52 am 

Whereas this thread was revived a little bit, I took the liberty to add a bit more info. :)

In addition to the teachers mentioned already above, Demus also studied with Arturo Michelangeli and Yves Nat. His Schubert recordings are considered to be his finest.

David

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:50 am 

...and there is the wonderful LP by Joerg Demus called “Zauber der Taste” (magic of the key)
and he interprets Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert and Schumann on original instruments
(from 1785 to 1845) from the Kunsthistorische Museum Wien,
Musikhistoriska Museet Stockholm & his own instruments...

He certainly has his very own style and is very inspiring...