Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Liadov two Preludes (Op. 57-1 and Op. 10-1)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:26 am 
Site Admin

Beautifully interpreted! These pieces are technically challenging but must sounds as they come out with ease and I think you catch that really well. Good job!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:49 pm 

Hi Hye Jin,
nice to see you back here! :D And bravo, bravissimo to these beautiful and musical performances! I have enjoyed them thoroughly and though I´m not a too big friend of digital pianos I have to say: I like them a lot, since the playing is nearly perfect!

Best regards
Andreas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:02 pm 

Recently I didn't get any nofitication of this thread (now I guess I clicked a wrong link for unsubscribing on my email :oops: :oops: ), so I'm very sorry for this too delayed reaction to your kind comments.
@Chris:
Yeah~ that's an idea :D But before that David has to enter the facebook and you and I have to be friends :wink:
@Eddy:
Whenever I browsed the forum, I searched your post concerning that recital. A pity that I cannot hear your achievements now, but I believe you made the best decision! Best wishes to your new job and moving into another state, too :D
@Robert:
Thank you for your kind comment! Indeed I think that performing music for others (a real audience or recording-listners) is sometimes like playing-act in a theatre or something, mainly because of artistic sides like getting into the spirit of the piece, but also because you have to pretend not to have any technical problem with it :lol: :lol: The Op. 57-1 is rather simple, but the other one demands more practice and time to think about one's own interpretation, of both of which I still need more.
@Andreas:
Thank you!!! I'm very happy that you like these pieces and performances :D
@Joe:
I really appreciate your detailed comments! I'm marvelled at your ability to catch all of flaws in my performance without having played the piece yourself :shock:
Quote:
The first one was good too but it seemed slightly stiff, especially in the second half, understandable for what seems to me too like a fairly tricky prelude to sustain for the duration. The only other thing I noted is that the run toward the end seemed a bit muddled. Maybe just a bit more freedom of expression could be in order overall.

This comment of you is exactly what I'm thinking about my performance. The muddled run was actually shocking to myself, too, but I had no time play and record that piece once more. That run is not difficult at all, but I was just too nervous to play it correctly. About the rather stiff interpretation... I thought the same thing. But how to find my "freedom" between so well webbed structure, that is my still unanswered problem, especially in respect to the agogic aspect. So I decided for dynamic variations, but it didn't come off well on this recording :cry: Thank you very much for your sharp critique again!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:25 am 

Lovely playing. These are exquisite miniatures. I really must get round to looking at Liadov's music properly. My first thought was that the sound wasn't ideal, but by the time I had finished listening I had completely forgotten about it. Incidentally I completely agree with Chris's suspicion that dynamics on some professional CDs are doctored.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:30 am 

Hi Hey-Jin,

I very much enjoyed listing to your performance of these two Liadov preludes. These were very beautifully played.

I'm learning one of the much simpler Liadov Preludes Op.40 No.3. Do you know this one?

If you do play this one, I'd love to hear your performance of it as I like the way you play the two above very much.

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:28 pm 

Hi Andrew and Greg, sorry for this much delayed reply. Thanks for listening and I'm glad that you like this music!
@Andrew: I always heard you playing large and very virtuosic pieces on the PS, so it would be very interesting if I could hear you play Liadov's small and simple pieces :)
@Greg: Yes, I know the Op.40-3, even though I never played it myself. I wish you much fun and beautiful moments at learning that piece! And would be very happy if you join us (Chris, David and me) as submitter of Liadov's music :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:54 am 

Hello Hye-Jin. These are charming pieces, and played with great control and emotional sensitivity. I can't comment any further since I don't have any of Liadov's music - too many composers and not enough time. Between you, Chris, and David, you're all giving Liadov a well deserved boost of recognition here on this site. With a busy life, it's great to hear that you're making time to practice, learn, and record music! :D

George

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:05 pm 

Thank you George for listening and very kind comments! :D
Quote:
Between you, Chris, and David, you're all giving Liadov a well deserved boost of recognition here on this site. With a busy life, it's great to hear that you're making time to practice, learn, and record music!

These are very encouraging words! Thank you a lot!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:53 pm 

Oh, Hye Jin, you play so well!
The Op. 10-1 flows in a such incredible charming way! From the two very good performances, I like Op. 10-1 better! :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:09 pm 

Thank you Felipe for listening and your kind words! You are the only one who likes the op. 10-1 better than the other piece! I'm glad to find that also the latter is enjoyable... :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:02 am 

hyenal wrote:
Hi Andrew and Greg, sorry for this much delayed reply. Thanks for listening and I'm glad that you like this music!
@Andrew: I always heard you playing large and very virtuosic pieces on the PS, so it would be very interesting if I could hear you play Liadov's small and simple pieces :)
@Greg: Yes, I know the Op.40-3, even though I never played it myself. I wish you much fun and beautiful moments at learning that piece! And would be very happy if you join us (Chris, David and me) as submitter of Liadov's music :wink:

Hye-Jin, Thank you for the warm invitation and yes I do love playing this piece! I would like to submit the Liadov Op.40 No.3 for consideration when I perfect my performance, however I record on a digital piano and I fear this may not be acceptable? I'm not clear on this forum's policy regarding this. I play the piece (no editing) if that makes a difference.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:08 am 
Site Admin

synergy543 wrote:
[I would like to submit the Liadov Op.40 No.3 for consideration when I perfect my performance, however I record on a digital piano and I fear this may not be acceptable? I'm not clear on this forum's policy regarding this. I play the piece (no editing) if that makes a difference.

It's difficult to formulate a good policy on this. Most of us here don't like digital recordings. Vanilla recordings on a digital piano often sound shallow and anodyne, and the use of sampled sound veers dangerously towards manipulation. It's not really the way we want to go. But we realize many people only have a digital piano so we grudgingly admit them. The criteria we have (subjective as they are)

1) It must sound good (some digitals really don't)
2) It must not be manipulated (a couple of cuts are quite ok though)

What we do not want is go into endless discussions about why something is rejected. In the end it comes down to the personal taste of the admins (with the support of the log-standing forum members).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:49 am 

techneut wrote:
It's difficult to formulate a good policy on this. Most of us here don't like digital recordings. Vanilla recordings on a digital piano often sound shallow and anodyne, and the use of sampled sound veers dangerously towards manipulation. It's not really the way we want to go. But we realize many people only have a digital piano so we grudgingly admit them. The criteria we have (subjective as they are)

1) It must sound good (some digitals really don't)
2) It must not be manipulated (a couple of cuts are quite ok though)

What we do not want is go into endless discussions about why something is rejected. In the end it comes down to the personal taste of the admins (with the support of the log-standing forum members).

Chris, thanks for clarifying.

Sounding good is a reasonable policy for a professional music forum. Music has gone downhill far enough with recent technology, its time to elevate it with higher standards.