Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Piano Parts shop
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

A nice little clip (if not very substantial) about a quaint piano parts shop in Paris:

http://www.depers.nl/opmerkelijk/626586 ... arijs.html

Post subject: Re: Piano Parts shop
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:37 pm 

I was transported to Paris for a few moments. Just seeing the old Pleyel was delightful. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

Made you think of my old Gaveau didn't it :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

That reminds me of that book Andreas and I read together here a couple years ago, "The Piano Shop at the Left Bank" (or something like that). I wonder if I can find this shop in Paris when I go there. I do have Pleyel on my list of places to see.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:57 am 

Chris, I think I could spend a nice Saturday afternoon in one of these shops, talking about pianos with the old man, discussing history, playing on a dusty but newly restored piano, and examining parts at a closer level. Some great shop talk could come from such places; a toy store for the pianist! Unfortunately, all too often these days, as the owner passes away, these shops are dwindling one by one until none will be left. Hardly any are left in my area. At one time, Boston had a dozen piano manufacturers, let alone shops to service them. The only reason such shops stay open is due to the passion of the proprietor... Shake his hand for staying in business.

pianolady wrote:
That reminds me of that book Andreas and I read together here a couple years ago, "The Piano Shop at the Left Bank" (or something like that). I wonder if I can find this shop in Paris when I go there. I do have Pleyel on my list of places to see.
That's the first thing that came to my mind too, Monica. :P One could easily be inspired to write at least a short story on one's experience after visiting such a place. It also reminds me of Charles Dickens'The Old Curiousity Shop.

BTW, the Salle Pleyel is a must see for Chopin aficionados! On the topic of books, have you read Romance on Three Legs by Katie Hafner? If for anything, I love the title. It's a good book chronicling Gould's quest for "the perfect piano."

George

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

88man wrote:

pianolady wrote:
That's the first thing that came to my mind too, Monica. :P One could easily be inspired to write at least a short story on one's experience after visiting such a place. It also reminds me of Charles Dickens'The Old Curiousity Shop.

BTW, the Salle Pleyel is a must see for Chopin aficionados! On the topic of books, have you read Romance on Three Legs by Katie Hafner? If for anything, I love the title. It's a good book chronicling Gould's quest for "the perfect piano."

George

No, I don't know that book. But I'll look into it. I have not yet received the other book I ordered a few days ago, but it's on its way.
And btw - I have recently met with a travel agent and started making reservations, and getting tickets and booking seats....stuff like that. I'm soooo excited already!!! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
I have recently met with a travel agent and started making reservations, and getting tickets and booking seats....stuff like that. I'm soooo excited already!!! :D

Met with a travel agent - how delightfully old-world romantic :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:11 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
pianolady wrote:
I have recently met with a travel agent and started making reservations, and getting tickets and booking seats....stuff like that. I'm soooo excited already!!! :D

Met with a travel agent - how delightfully old-world romantic :lol:

It's not like I'm planning a trip to Milwaukee..... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:13 pm 

88man wrote:
BTW, the Salle Pleyel is a must see for Chopin aficionados!
My first (high school and college) important teacher, Arminda Schutte (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arminda_Schutte), had played much earlier in her life at the Salle Pleyel in one visit to France. Kind of cool!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not totally positive about this, but I think the current location of the Salle Pleyel is not the same as where it was in Chopin's day. Thought I read that somewhere....

But I just learned yesterday that there is a Hotel Chopin in Paris. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:45 pm 

pianolady wrote:
I'm not totally positive about this, but I think the current location of the Salle Pleyel is not the same as where it was in Chopin's day. Thought I read that somewhere....

But I just learned yesterday that there is a Hotel Chopin in Paris. :)
You are correct according to the chronology given on Wiki (drawn from good sources).
Wikipedia, s.v. Salle Pleyel wrote:
An earlier salle Pleyel opened in December 1839 at nº 22 rue Rochechouart; it saw the premieres of many important works, including the second (1868) and fifth (1896) piano concertos by Saint-Saëns, and Ravel's Pavane pour une infante défunte and Jeux d'eau (April 5, 1902) and Sonata for Violin and Cello (April 6, 1922). Its replacement, a 3,000-seat hall, was commissioned in 1927[3] by piano manufacturer Pleyel et Cie and designed by Gustave Lion.[3] The inauguration concert by the Orchestre de la Société des Concerts du Conservatoire, with Robert Casadesus as soloist and Igor Stravinsky, Maurice Ravel, and Philippe Gaubert as conductors, included music by Wagner, Manuel de Falla, Igor Stravinsky, Paul Dukas, Debussy, and Ravel.[3] A fire ravaged the interior of the hall on 28 June 1928[4] and the renovation cost made it impossible to repay the loan to Crédit Lyonnais bank, which eventually took over the property and reduced the seats to 2,400.[3]

Stravinsky returned to Paris to conduct the French premiere of Agon in 1957, and of Threni in 1958.[3]

From 2002 to 2006 the hall underwent major renovation.[1] The acoustics of the hall and the public and service areas were improved and seating decreased from the post-fire 2,400 seats to 1,913.[2][3]

Last edited by musical-md on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the information, Eddy! :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:45 am 

pianolady wrote:
Sorry for the confusion. There is a Salle Pleyel and Salon Pleyel. Chopin's famous 1832 Paris debut was in the Salon Pleyel, located at 9 Rue Cadet, just several blocks from his first apartment. It's the same patron family, even though the halls are different. In fact some of the places where Chopin performed don't even exist anymore like the Tuileries - it burned down and was never rebuilt. :( The newer Salle Pleyel was also built by Maison Pleyel in 1927, but it is located on 252 Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré, not the same hall where Chopin made his debut. Eddy, the Wiki description is dated - the Lyonnais Bank no longer owns the Salle Pleyel because they had financial difficulties too, and they in turn sold the hall to Hubert Martigny in 1998.

Monica, your best bet is to speak with the curator of the Musée Adam Mickiewicz, which I had mentioned a while back. He'll have all the current info on the "hidden" Chopin sites in Paris, in addition to your list. Remember, its hours of operation are by appointment, and make sure that Chopin's death mask and the cast of his left hand are on display - those are the main highlights. I am not sure, but there may be more Chopin letters on display too -- all of which are the closest thing shy of being in the composer's presence... Oh, and don't forget the symbolic gesture of placing flowers at Père Lachaise. I know you won't... :wink:

Bon Voyage, mon amie. 8)
George

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:24 am 

88man wrote:
Eddy, the Wiki description is dated - the Lyonnais Bank no longer owns the Salle Pleyel because they had financial difficulties too, and they in turn sold the hall to Hubert Martigny in 1998.
No longer, George. I just updated the wiki article with your info. I hope you're correct! But now you've got me a bit confused as to which site my teacher performed at: the Salle or the Salon?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

88man wrote:
pianolady wrote:
Sorry for the confusion. There is a Salle Pleyel and Salon Pleyel. Chopin's famous 1832 Paris debut was in the Salon Pleyel, located at 9 Rue Cadet, just several blocks from his first apartment. It's the same patron family, even though the halls are different. In fact some of the places where Chopin performed don't even exist anymore like the Tuileries - it burned down and was never rebuilt. :( The newer Salle Pleyel was also built by Maison Pleyel in 1927, but it is located on 252 Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré, not the same hall where Chopin made his debut. Eddy, the Wiki description is dated - the Lyonnais Bank no longer owns the Salle Pleyel because they had financial difficulties too, and they in turn sold the hall to Hubert Martigny in 1998.

Monica, your best bet is to speak with the curator of the Musée Adam Mickiewicz, which I had mentioned a while back. He'll have all the current info on the "hidden" Chopin sites in Paris, in addition to your list. Remember, its hours of operation are by appointment, and make sure that Chopin's death mask and the cast of his left hand are on display - those are the main highlights. I am not sure, but there may be more Chopin letters on display too -- all of which are the closest thing shy of being in the composer's presence... Oh, and don't forget the symbolic gesture of placing flowers at Père Lachaise. I know you won't... :wink:

Bon Voyage, mon amie. 8)
George

Okay, I'm glad that the original Salon Pleyel is still there. That's the one I REALLY want to see! And thank you again for mentioning the Musée Adam Mickiewicz. I made a note of it before, but I had forgotten about it. I will definitely go there as well!! But it sounds like Chopin's death mask is not displayed all the time? I sure hope it's out when I'm there. I think I will contact that museum on the first day I am there. I have 7 days in Paris, so hopefully one of those days they will be open. Actually 6 days because one day is for travel.

And yes, I will place a lot of flowers on his grave. (I'd like to place myself on it too, but I may get arrested....lol)