Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Scarlatti - Sonata, K.32
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, first recordings since 2008-02-27 so be kind to me ;). I took something technically easy (nothing is easy musically).

I had to restart a lot of other things too but finally found the Edirol, download Audacity and the Lame encoder and I hope I got the ID3 tagging right.

This is a one time shot and in the mode I was today and at least with me, this piece can come out pretty different.

Scarlatti - Sonata in D minor, K.32

Post subject: Re: Scarlatti - Sonata, K.32
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

Very well played but I have to say the swimmy sound (pedal or reverb ?) and the creaking bench spoil it a bit. If you could do this in cleaner sound, and maybe a little faster, it would be a good recording.

So it's been almost 4 years since you last submitted ! I hope this is a come-back, not a one-off.

The naming is correct, the tags adequate though not quite complete. See this sticky post
http://pianosociety.com/new/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5115
We also like the key signature with Scarlatti sonatas.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:20 pm 

Hello Robert,
Good to hear a submission from you. I must agree with Chris about the reverb, but more so to the point, I feel there should be no pedaling here except to enable an occasional phrasing issue. The step-wise character of the melody and frequent appoggiaturas cause dissonance to the careful listener if performed ohner Dampfer. Regarding your tempo, I think it is spot on. This is a lovely Aria, and one that is at once plain, unadorened yet sadly beautiful. This simple piece is all about musicality. My apporach is one of a singer with lute (perhaps) accompanying. Musically, the most interesting feature is the use of the deceptive cadence 5 bars from the end (to Bb major). If you can feel the denied expectation, you will likely convey it in your interpretation. I for one would really love to hear another attempt on your part that included only occasional touches of supportive pedaling. IMO, the pattern for phrasing is first bar to first beat of second bar, followed by phrased appoggiatura. (For those with Longo's library this is L 423.)

Best wishes for a Happy New Year!
Eddy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks and I really hope it is not a one time shot. But I have some work to do to reach a decent technical standard. My joints feel stiff and my touch is insecure, so is the rhythm. I like to recall myself being very even on rhythm, even in fast scales...probably weak memory ;).

Anyway, the chair is annoying and some of the noise comes from the pedal. I have gotten used to it but it sounds more on the recording than I feel it does IRL. Some oil probably fixes the problem. Also, I hear the hammers very loud in ear phones and probably because I placed the Edirol on top of the grand. Chris, you place it on a chair beside you right?

The reverb is a bit too much (like the feeling of being in a church) and not from the original recording but the GVerb in Audacity. Experimented a bit with it and it didn't come out really as I wanted it.

So less pedal...hm...yeah I understand but won't if sound too dry then? I'll try later tonight. About speed, I think it is difficult to play it this slow but when I listen, it feels right. Other recordings I have heard is usually slower, even much slower. Check Carnevale's recording for example (and this is a very well known pianist, from Italy too and a Scarlatti fan). It is beautiful but much slower!

I'll experiment a bit more and re-record it and fix the ID3-tag.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

robert wrote:
Thanks and I really hope it is not a one time shot. But I have some work to do to reach a decent technical standard. My joints feel stiff and my touch is insecure, so is the rhythm. I like to recall myself being very even on rhythm, even in fast scales...probably weak memory ;).
Yes I know how it is to have been out of it for some years. It will come back, don't worry.

robert wrote:
Anyway, the chair is annoying and some of the noise comes from the pedal. I have gotten used to it but it sounds more on the recording than I feel it does IRL. Some oil probably fixes the problem. Also, I hear the hammers very loud in ear phones and probably because I placed the Edirol on top of the grand. Chris, you place it on a chair beside you right?

Nope, see image which shows my setup (except that I have the lid open when recording). Of all I have tried this seems to give the best results. Yes I heard your hammers too. Not a good idea to have the recorder on the piano. And don't put oil on your chair - get a new one ;-)

robert wrote:
The reverb is a bit too much (like the feeling of being in a church) and not from the original recording but the GVerb in Audacity. Experimented a bit with it and it didn't come out really as I wanted it.
Takes a while to find the reverb you want. In any case it must not be too obtrusive.

robert wrote:
So less pedal...hm...yeah I understand but won't if sound too dry then? I'll try later tonight. About speed, I think it is difficult to play it this slow but when I listen, it feels right. Other recordings I have heard is usually slower, even much slower. Check Carnevale's recording for example (and this is a very well known pianist, from Italy too and a Scarlatti fan). It is beautiful but much slower!
Maybe the tempo is not too slow, but it 'feels' too slow because the playing is a bit stiff. I must admit I had not heard this sonata, and I don't know what the tempo indication is.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

Nice to see you recording again, Robert!! :D :D I think this is a pretty little piece and you play it nicely. Some of those suggestions Eddy gave will really make the piece even more special.

But I agree about the sound issues. The creaking chair is what I first noticed, followed by the sort of weird sound. At first, I thought you might be recording on your digital piano, but then I did hear the dampers lifting and things like that so I knew it was your grand. Then I thought perhaps you were recording on the 'silent' setting and maybe that's the way it sounds like that. So now I read that you actually put your Edirol ON your piano and that explains everything!! Try putting your Edirol near the open top of your grand but not too close and not too far. I'm too lazy right now to convert to metrics, but I usually go with placing my Edirol about 4 or 5 feet above the floor, and about 2 feet away from the open top of the piano.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like a reasonable position. Tascam? Better sound?

Monica: I hope I am back, but don't expect a flood. Maybe I re-record a few things than I am not happy with and then I maybe take on some more Swedish piano music...let's see about that.

I hope I can make a new recording tomorrow...if people can get quite around me for some minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

robert wrote:
Looks like a reasonable position. Tascam? Better sound?

Definitely, a couple of people here agreed with me about that. I posted some comparative recordings which I have unfortunately thrown away since, see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4597

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:42 am 

Hi Robert,

I had a listen to the recording of your Scarlatti performance. Your playing is good. To me it sounds like you have a good sense of the music, but the dynamics could be made more of (that is, more difference in the softs and louds) I felt like I could hear your fingers on the keyboard, you said you put your recorder on your piano, maybe that is the reason? I have had the problem of practicing too much on a piano and then the pedal becomes squeaky. Though I didn't hear the chair squeak, but my headphones are cheap.

This is somewhat unrelated to this thread so I'll keep it short, I really like your recordings of the Bach inventions :lol:

Hope to hear more recordings from you,

Riley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:24 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Riley. With some luck, I'll give this another shot today with less pedal and with the Edirol behind the grand. It is too close as you say...and you can hear my fingertips on the keyboard! I must listen back :).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

Just uploaded a new recording and hope this is better. No effects added, less use of pedal and with the edirol on the ironing board behind the piano.

Only thing bothering me is the white noise which gets a bit high when you listen in earphones. If I did chose a high input level, it got very sensitive and picked up other sounds in the house and this piece hardly every raises beyond piano.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds a lot better with respect to reverb/pedal, and already you sound more comfortable playing than the last time.

But yes, the hiss is quite obtrusive, and there are still too some mechanical sounds. I guess you will have to raise the sensitivity
and just make sure everything is quiet in da house .... Or apply a hiss filter but personally I think those affect the sound too much.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

I agree - your playing is even better on this now, but yes, the hiss is bad. Actually, I could hardly hear the piano because the balance between piano sound and hiss is about equal. I don't understand if you had the input level too high or too low, but if it helps you the way I heard it was pretty soft. I had to turn the volume up all the way - which of course then also made the hiss loud too. I do run a hiss-reduction through my recordings, but I use the lowest setting. I find that it takes away some of the hiss without altering the sound quality that much. I still think you should have your recorder closer to the piano and then use a lower input level. My recorder is near the front and open top of my piano and I use an input level of about 14.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
Actually, I could hardly hear the piano because the balance between piano sound and hiss is about equal.

Oh for the millionth time, don't exaggerate :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
pianolady wrote:
Actually, I could hardly hear the piano because the balance between piano sound and hiss is about equal.

Oh for the millionth time, don't exaggerate :roll:

I am not exaggerating at all!! How do you know what I hear? I guess I can listen to this again when I am home tonight and on my computer that has better speakers and see if I still hear the same amount of hiss.