Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rare music of Eduardo Dutra: Preludio, Op. 32 in F#m
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:15 am 

(David, sorry for using your post to answer to Richard's message..!)

Hello Richard,

I'm delighted to hear your opinion on my rendition of Bortkiewicz's Op.15 No.8 and will consider recording it for PS.

Best,
Alexandre

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:13 am 

Hi Alexandre,

No problem. Op. 15 No. 8 is one of my favorites too. Looking forward to your recording! :)

David

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:39 pm 
Dr. Eduardo D'Utra e Silva, inherited the Laboratory F. Dutra, Fabrizio your father and also the love of letters and arts. Eduardo's father Dick, a pediatrician, philosopher, composer, musician, very cultivated, an expert in wrestling, polyglot, including full fluency in Greek, he studied philosophy devoting himself especially the neo-scholastic. Famous conductor and composer, and very successful entrepreneur also taught to a select group of students, one of the famous students of Eduardo Dutra e Silva, Jack Klein was professor Arnaldo Cohen.
In music he joined the neo-romanticism. He studied music theory with renowned masters, violin with Joaquim Boisson; perfected in piano with Henry Oswald, Barroso Neto and Charley Lachmund.
Eduardo Dutra was a classical composer of great prestige and over the years leading conductors and soloists have performed several of his works, among them Francisco Braga, Henrique Spedini, Ernesto Ronchini Arthur Bosmans, Martinez Degree and recently Arnaldo Cohen recently presented one of his works on his CD released in 2005.
Among the soloists, Mario Neves, Mario de Azevedo, Arnaldo Rebello, Josette Dyla, Isaac Feldman, Peri Machado and others. His works are performed, Concerto in F sharp minor, "ballet - Pantomime" entitled "The Princess of Medinet - el Fayum," five "Preludes", "Orientales" (suite of seven dances of oriental character), "Idyll" Etc. For piano, "Sonata in C minor, twelve" Preludes "and six" Miniatures "(children's suite), five" studies "," Five "Mazurkas" and three "Viennese Waltz" concert, "Three Berceuse" "Concerto No. 2" Piano "Concerto No. 1" for orchestra. Eduardo studied philosophy and theology, many hours a day with equal dedication to music.
As a pediatrician served only children of friends and relatives.
The evenings were frequented by famous artists, musicians, singers and well Cyl Dick and grew in an environment focused on the arts and philosophy.
It is worth noting that all you had to practice wrestling watching Grandpa and his followers and coach
This is part of the book is a biography of Dick Farney.
Mariangela- I am the heir of both, put me to provide further information, thank you and to emphasize that we are thrilled with the comments about the work of Eduardo Dutra.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:37 pm 

I suppose this is meant as bio material for the listing here? However, regarding the following:
Quote:
As a pediatrician served only children of friends and relatives

I would not list this exclusivity, as it may in others (as it does in me, a physician) make them think that he only served those who could pay and not others. Certainly as a man of culture, letters, art and such, his "friends and relatives" would also have been individuals of privilege with resources.

Respectfully,

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:04 am 

Hi Mariangela,

Thank you so much for providing all of that additional information on Eduardo Dutra! It is not easy to find background material on this wonderful composer. Having read your account, I now feel that I know him far better than before. When I was given the score to his "Preludio", Op.32, it was an honor for me to learn and record the piece and present it here at Piano Society. I notice on the "insights" feature at YouTube that my biggest audience for this recording are listeners in Brazil, so it has not gone unnoticed, and I am grateful for that!

I do hope that more of his piano solo scores will be rediscovered and reprinted sooner than later. I'm sure there are many treasures there. In comparing thoughts with the artist who gave me the score, I've concluded that the Preludio, Op. 32 came to me from Paris to Rio de Janeiro to Montreal to New York City and then to my home in Maine. That's a very roundabout route for one, rare piece of sheet music. Imagine if these pieces could be more readily available to pianists!

Thanks again for your comments.

David

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:28 pm 

eduardo dutra wrote:
Dr. Eduardo D'Utra e Silva, inherited the Laboratory F. Dutra, Fabrizio your father and also the love of letters and arts. Eduardo's father Dick, a pediatrician, philosopher, composer, musician, very cultivated, an expert in wrestling, polyglot, including full fluency in Greek, he studied philosophy devoting himself especially the neo-scholastic. Famous conductor and composer, and very successful entrepreneur also taught to a select group of students, one of the famous students of Eduardo Dutra e Silva, Jack Klein was professor Arnaldo Cohen.
In music he joined the neo-romanticism. He studied music theory with renowned masters, violin with Joaquim Boisson; perfected in piano with Henry Oswald, Barroso Neto and Charley Lachmund.
Eduardo Dutra was a classical composer of great prestige and over the years leading conductors and soloists have performed several of his works, among them Francisco Braga, Henrique Spedini, Ernesto Ronchini Arthur Bosmans, Martinez Degree and recently Arnaldo Cohen recently presented one of his works on his CD released in 2005.
Among the soloists, Mario Neves, Mario de Azevedo, Arnaldo Rebello, Josette Dyla, Isaac Feldman, Peri Machado and others. His works are performed, Concerto in F sharp minor, "ballet - Pantomime" entitled "The Princess of Medinet - el Fayum," five "Preludes", "Orientales" (suite of seven dances of oriental character), "Idyll" Etc. For piano, "Sonata in C minor, twelve" Preludes "and six" Miniatures "(children's suite), five" studies "," Five "Mazurkas" and three "Viennese Waltz" concert, "Three Berceuse" "Concerto No. 2" Piano "Concerto No. 1" for orchestra. Eduardo studied philosophy and theology, many hours a day with equal dedication to music.
As a pediatrician served only children of friends and relatives.
The evenings were frequented by famous artists, musicians, singers and well Cyl Dick and grew in an environment focused on the arts and philosophy.
It is worth noting that all you had to practice wrestling watching Grandpa and his followers and coach
This is part of the book is a biography of Dick Farney.
Mariangela- I am the heir of both, put me to provide further information, thank you and to emphasize that we are thrilled with the comments about the work of Eduardo Dutra.

Thank you very much for all this fascinating information. Jacques Klein (along with Joel Ryce and Jerome Lowenthal) was one of the few students of William Kapell, incidentally.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:38 pm 

Outstanding colour, David. Excellent understanding and judgement of mood and style. I'm very impressed once again by your full sound and dynamics.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:33 pm 

Hi Pantelis,

Thanks for listening to this "Preludio". I'm happy that you enjoyed it, and thanks for the compliments!

You probably noticed that Eduardo Dutra's grand-daughter added some information here about the composer and his many activities which was quite interesting. Getting the score for this piece was true serendipity for me. It came to me through a very convoluted global route. As I said elsewhere, finding Dutra's scores nearly requires archeology. As I started playing it at the piano, it quickly grew on me, and as the final step I recorded it. It turned out that Arnaldo Cohen had recorded it a few years earlier. The two interpretations are very different, but that's a good thing, as it hints at the possibilities for interpretation. It was a wonderful feeling doing at least a small part to illuminate this music.

David

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:47 am 

A strange thing happened. I noticed that I had commented on this piece almost a year ago. And yesterday, I came upon it once again and it felt so impressive again that I had to write a few lines again!
So, David, apart from my sanity of judgement and consistency verification, this means that your performance holds well through the test of time. Also thanks for your reply, I found all this information really interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:34 am 

Hi Pantelis,

At least you knew you were commenting a second time. And I greatly appreciate that! In a thread that will remain unmentioned, I recently noticed that I had responded to it three times over a couple of years without realizing it. :lol: :lol: :lol: They must have thought I was the absent minded professor. :oops:

David

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:55 am 

Rachfan wrote:
Hi Mariangela,

Thank you so much for providing all of that additional information on Eduardo Dutra! It is not easy to find background material on this wonderful composer. Having read your account, I now feel that I know him far better than before. When I was given the score to his "Preludio", Op.32, it was an honor for me to learn and record the piece and present it here at Piano Classes Society. I notice on the "insights" feature at YouTube that my biggest audience for this recording are listeners in Brazil, so it has not gone unnoticed, and I am grateful for that!

I do hope that more of his piano solo scores will be rediscovered and reprinted sooner than later. I'm sure there are many treasures there. In comparing thoughts with the artist who gave me the score, I've concluded that the Preludio, Op. 32 came to me from Paris to Rio de Janeiro to Montreal to New York City and then to my home in Maine. That's a very roundabout route for one, rare piece of sheet music. Imagine if these pieces could be more readily available to pianists!

Thanks again for your comments.

David

^ Wow, it is a beautiful piece. I don't know who the composer was but the piece is definitely worth listening to. Great recording and piano playing.

Last edited by StephenC on Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:04 am 

Hi Stephen,

I'm so glad you enjoyed this prelude by a little-known composer. I didn't quite know what to expect, but once I started playing it, the piece really grew on me. I just wish we had more of Dutra's works. Thanks for listening.

David

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:22 am 

I find the post by this "family member" of Dutra a bit cheesey. Having contacts in Brazil I set them looking for Dutra and not a single reference was found of him in any single musical or sound library. It was as if had never existed. Besides that, the surname is wrong: D'Utra does not exist and no recordings seem to be available, which is strange, if a CD was issued in 2005 by a fairly well-known pianist.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:40 pm 

Hi Richard,

Well, Arnaldo Cohen has played Dutra's Preludio on a CD. I can send you the clip if you'd like to hear it. I also had read earlier that Dutra owned a testing laboratory (evidently his daytime job), which also fits the account here. On YouTube a gentleman familiar with Dutra responded offering a correction on Duta's date of birth. (I haven't changed it.) His son Farnesio existed for sure, as he was a well-known musician in the U.S. in the 1950s. Nuessa Franca in Paris also has an old personally autographed copy of the Preludio in Dutra's own hand. Plus there is a brief write-up in Wikipedia about the composer. I have no doubt that the man truly existed. As I had mentioned before, Dutra was not published by a major sheet music publisher. He preferred to do private printings on demand. So it's not surprising that his music was not widely played or recorded.

David

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:53 pm 

Hello, David,

I was not questioning the existence of Dutra, whom we know existed and all that, but that he should turn out to be so famous. My contact certainly did not come up with any musical evidence whatsoever, which is odd. I quote:

Quote:
I've spent hours trying to find any kind of link which would tell me anything about Eduardo Dutra. I Tried Instituto Moreira Salles, Museu imagem e do som, Arquivo Nacional, Dicionário Cravo Albim, Dicionário Houais de musica, etc. With absolutely no results. Only thing I could find, was that the father taught the child to play the piano and the mother was a singer.

Apparently Dick Farney has a son, named Eduardo, also, but I could not find any other reference. Only José Eduardo Dutra, president of PT, who isn't the person you want.

Anyway, I wish, I WISH, this relative could deliver the goods and produce some of the scores! Based on the evidence of that prelude, he was good!

What piece das Estrella play?

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next