Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Franz Liszt's big day!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:27 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8529
I hope to read that book sometime too, Andrew, so thanks from me too. And now that I know a little more about Cfizzra, with all his struggles, it reinforces the notion that some people are just born with the ability to play piano and some are not. It's genetics!

@George - thanks for the info regarding Granados' star. It's a rainy day today/tonight - maybe tomorrow I'll go look for it.

Regarding inspiration from watching/listening to music videos/recordings, or lack thereof in my case...what really DOES give me the urge to go to my piano is after having watched a movie that has some classical piano music in it. For some reason, I just can't wait to get to the piano soon afterwards!!

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Franz Liszt's big day!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:48 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8529
I know I'm going OT, but..... :)





88man wrote:
Absolutely Monica, Google Sky is nice, I use SkyEye and velcro my phone flat against the telescope. BTW, if you you're up until midnight, in the eastern sky, "Granados's Star" (Horsehead nebula) located on the bottom of Orion's belt near N2024 (Flame Nebula) and Alnitak. Unfortunately, it's not visible to the eye, you have to hook up a camera to the scope to see the beautiful star gases and nebulas. But, Jupiter is fun with its 4 moons - that you can see with good binoculars. :D


George, is it really Granados' star, named after Enrique? That is so cool if it's true!! Especially since he wrote "Cant de Estrelles", which we both like so much! I tried to find a little information on the star online just now, but did not find anything. Is there a link you can give me?

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Franz Liszt's big day!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:28 am
Posts: 1250
Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA
I use Pocket Universe on my iphone. I don't know about the others, but it allows me just to hold up towards any portion of the sky and uses it's internal sensors to know what to display. I too have a refractor telescope (geek all the way). Joseph Lhevinne was an avid sky-gazer, even known to sky-watch during concerts in an amphitheater. :roll:

_________________
Eddy M. del Rio, MD
"A smattering will not do. They must know all the keys, major and minor, and they must literally 'know them backwards.'" - Josef Lhevinne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Franz Liszt's big day!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:33 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8529
My Droid does the same with Google Sky. When I first installed it, I was on my morning train commuting to work. People started looking at me funny though when I was pointing my phone to the ceiling, the floor, out the window... :lol:

Lang Lang is another sky-gazer.... :wink:

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Franz Liszt's big day!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:17 pm
Posts: 418
Location: Boston
pianolady wrote:
I know I'm going OT, but..... :)
88man wrote:
Absolutely Monica, Google Sky is nice, I use SkyEye and velcro my phone flat against the telescope. BTW, if you you're up until midnight, in the eastern sky, "Granados's Star" (Horsehead nebula) located on the bottom of Orion's belt near N2024 (Flame Nebula) and Alnitak. Unfortunately, it's not visible to the eye, you have to hook up a camera to the scope to see the beautiful star gases and nebulas. But, Jupiter is fun with its 4 moons - that you can see with good binoculars. :D

George, is it really Granados' star, named after Enrique? That is so cool if it's true!! Especially since he wrote "Cant de Estrelles", which we both like so much! I tried to find a little information on the star online just now, but did not find anything. Is there a link you can give me?


Hi Monica, no, it's not a name in the star registry. Remember, a while back I sent a photo of the Horsehead Nebula in honorarium for his brilliant work Cant de Les Estrelles. The native Castilian horses came to mind while I was looking for a fitting tribute in the heavens for Uncle Rico. :D Along with Beethoven's 9th, ancient Armenian duduk music, I still play that piece in the background when scoping the night sky. 8) Here's a telescope photo. You can't see the gases or nebulae visually; this is a several minute exposure with a camera attachment which reveals hidden information. The bright star on the left is Alnitak in the Constellation of Orion (located at the bottom of the belt) - this you can see even without binoculars.

Wow, I didn't know that Lang Lang and Josef Lhévinne were amateur astronomers.

Andrew, that is some amazing reading! Those who suffer, always have something to say... I'll finish up later.

Hi Chris, don't worry I won't be chasing you down! :P

Hi Eddy, I finally got a larger APO refractor, which should give a better image, I am just waiting until Orion rises higher up in the horizon... I usually take my scope to Cape Cod in the summer where the skies are much darker. After a cookout, and a few drinks, everyone takes turns looking through the scope. Before you know it, we're seeing double-stars! :P Sometimes, we'll joke around among friends late at night while looking for a particular star... It'll go like this, "Well, I don't know about Saturn, but from here I can see Uranus!" :lol: :P


Attachments:
HorseHead Flame.2 .jpg
HorseHead Flame.2 .jpg [ 43.16 KiB | Viewed 2157 times ]

_________________
"Nobility of spirit has more to do with simplicity than ostentation, wisdom rather than wealth, commitment rather than ambition." ~Riccardo Muti
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Franz Liszt's big day!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:28 am
Posts: 1250
Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA
Hey George, good to hear from you again! I will never forget the first time I saw Saturn WITH MY OWN EYES through a little telescope. The image was very small and had no detail other than the disk of the planet and its rings, but I was seeing the real thing! It was awe inspiring for me and left an indelible mark. I have two works for piano that I premiered while working on my DMA at Cincinnati, by a composition grad student named Steve Kowalsky. They are titled: "First Observations" for Piano (1988). No.1 NGC 224 "Andromeda", and No.2 Remnant: Crab Nebula. The style is very modern with porportional rhythms and cells, changing time signatures but no meter to speak of, etc. The amazing thing is that it sounds "spacey." Maybe someday I'll look at them again.

I just wondered about Steve and found the following from a 1991 Chicago tribune:
"Another new American piece, also a CSO commission and Chicago premiere, occupied the first half. It was La Grange composer Steve Kowalsky`s "Last Voyage," winner of the Illinois Young Composers` Competition and first performed by Barenboim and the CSO during the orchestra`s Downstate tour last fall. At first hearing, Kowalsky`s sound-collage impressed as a pretty but banal piece of orchestration. What a shame that the first statewide composers` competition-a worthy idea-could not have turned up a more substantial score.

It sounds like the critic didn't care too much for it.

_________________
Eddy M. del Rio, MD
"A smattering will not do. They must know all the keys, major and minor, and they must literally 'know them backwards.'" - Josef Lhevinne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Franz Liszt's big day!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:03 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8529
@George...I don't really know if Lang Lang is an amateur astromer. I just meant that he looks
up at the ceiling a lot when he plays (makes me gag...I hate that!!), so he is"gazing at the sky". Sorry, a bad attempt at a joke... :oops:

Anyway, that photo is very cool! And yes, now I remember us talking about "Granados' star when we were discussing his "Cant de Estrelles". I haven't listened to that in a while...think I will do so tonight. I love it!! :D

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Franz Liszt's big day!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:11 am
Posts: 750
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Well, now it is the 90th anniversary of Cziffra's birth today, so perhaps here is the appropriate place for this Liszt performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yN6d4nGVwU (live, part 1 of 2, audio only)

(in part response to the Lisitsa Totentanz, and partly because I can't resist) :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Franz Liszt's big day!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:46 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8529
Happy birthday, Georges! :)

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Franz Liszt's big day!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:11 am
Posts: 750
Location: Edinburgh, UK
pianolady wrote:
Happy birthday, Georges! :)


That was a nice touch putting him in the banner. :) Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Franz Liszt's big day!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:45 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9598
Location: Netherlands
But I don't understand why that image looks so bad. I've looked it up and made a 85x85 crop, and it looks like this.
What happened ?

And actually, while the attachment here looks better than the one on the banner, it looks fuzzier than my original. Not sure what this software does with images :?


Attachments:
t_cziffra.jpg
t_cziffra.jpg [ 1.67 KiB | Viewed 1621 times ]

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Franz Liszt's big day!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:56 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9598
Location: Netherlands
Looking more closely I know the answer to the first question. I made a 85x85 crop of the original image, Monica made a slightly bigger crop, then resized it to 85x85. Resizing should probably be avoided, if possible, for these small images.

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Franz Liszt's big day!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:20 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8529
The image in the banner looks fine to me. :?

You're welcome, Andrew. :wink:

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Franz Liszt's big day!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:17 pm
Posts: 418
Location: Boston
musical-md wrote:
Hey George, good to hear from you again! I will never forget the first time I saw Saturn WITH MY OWN EYES through a little telescope. The image was very small and had no detail other than the disk of the planet and its rings, but I was seeing the real thing! It was awe inspiring for me and left an indelible mark. I have two works for piano that I premiered while working on my DMA at Cincinnati, by a composition grad student named Steve Kowalsky. They are titled: "First Observations" for Piano (1988). No.1 NGC 224 "Andromeda", and No.2 Remnant: Crab Nebula. The style is very modern with porportional rhythms and cells, changing time signatures but no meter to speak of, etc. The amazing thing is that it sounds "spacey." Maybe someday I'll look at them again.

I just wondered about Steve and found the following from a 1991 Chicago tribune:
"Another new American piece, also a CSO commission and Chicago premiere, occupied the first half. It was La Grange composer Steve Kowalsky`s "Last Voyage," winner of the Illinois Young Composers` Competition and first performed by Barenboim and the CSO during the orchestra`s Downstate tour last fall. At first hearing, Kowalsky`s sound-collage impressed as a pretty but banal piece of orchestration. What a shame that the first statewide composers` competition-a worthy idea-could not have turned up a more substantial score.

It sounds like the critic didn't care too much for it.
Always a pleasure, Eddy! Saturn was visible earlier in the summer - it's one of my favorites too! Try using the Tele Vue Ethos eyepieces. The immersive views are like walking in space with its 100 degree wide views.... Well, reviews like that can present a crossroad to a budding composer. What did he do after that? I'd be curious how do you feel about the work years later. I wonder if the composer was an amateur astronomer too?... I am curious how he was able to keep it all together. Even large galaxies and nebulas have gravity - a unifying force that holds and binds all the themes, proportional rhythms, cells, time signatures together.

pianolady wrote:
@George...I don't really know if Lang Lang is an amateur astromer. I just meant that he looks
up at the ceiling a lot when he plays (makes me gag...I hate that!!)
There's a pill for that too, but yes, he does seem aloof on cloud 9 when he plays. Perhaps he's dreaming of cloud 10? :lol: I don't care for his histrionics on stage either.

andrew wrote:
Well, now it is the 90th anniversary of Cziffra's birth today, so perhaps here is the appropriate place for this Liszt performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yN6d4nGVwU (live, part 1 of 2, audio only)

(in part response to the Lisitsa Totentanz, and partly because I can't resist) :D
Brilliant performance in Montreux! I listened to both parts. That's a savage piece to play on your fingers. I am curious when he changed his name from György to Georges?... I know that he became a French citizen in 1968, but I have recordings with his birth name. I've heard his French interviews - Wow, can he smoke up a storm! It's amazing to wonder how he would have evolved musically in his later years if his son didn't commit suicide in the apartment. He didn't make any recordings after 1981. Cannons and Flowers only goes up to 1977.
OK Andrew, I listened to the sweet "Valentine" Lisitsa version too... She's the most popular pianist on youtube now. She's still young (unfortunately married) :P , but once she gets every Etude out of the way, it will be interesting how she will musically evolve. I admit she's hot; it's like watching young Gwyneth Paltrow at the piano. :wink:

techneut wrote:
Looking more closely I know the answer to the first question. I made a 85x85 crop of the original image, Monica made a slightly bigger crop, then resized it to 85x85. Resizing should probably be avoided, if possible, for these small images.
Chris, you can downsize, don't try upsizing photos. You'll get jpeg artifacts. When you save, go for the highest quality on file size - that's where I run into problems. Try to screen your photos at 100% and 200% to detect any noise in the original. Also, your file size for the photo is too small which can lead to compression artifacts. If you have to upsize, double the pixels first, then Despeckle to remove noise. Here's a resized 85x85 if you need another one.


Attachments:
G_Cziffra.jpg
G_Cziffra.jpg [ 31.11 KiB | Viewed 1615 times ]

_________________
"Nobility of spirit has more to do with simplicity than ostentation, wisdom rather than wealth, commitment rather than ambition." ~Riccardo Muti
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Franz Liszt's big day!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:44 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9598
Location: Netherlands
88man wrote:
Chris, you can downsize, don't try upsizing photos.

I know. But on rare occasions it has to be done if all I can get is a tiny image.

Downsizing is not usually a problem. But I think is is when you downsize just a little, say from 90x90 to 85x85, which I think has happened here.

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Franz Liszt's big day!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:11 am
Posts: 750
Location: Edinburgh, UK
88man wrote:
I am curious when he changed his name from György to Georges?... I know that he became a French citizen in 1968, but I have recordings with his birth name. I've heard his French interviews - Wow, can he smoke up a storm! It's amazing to wonder how he would have evolved musically in his later years if his son didn't commit suicide in the apartment. He didn't make any recordings after 1981. Cannons and Flowers only goes up to 1977.


I believe he changed his name to Georges partly due to his acquiring French citizenship and partly to avoid confusion with his son (also György) who was the conductor on many of his piano/orchestra performances.

Cannons and Flowers was originally a memoir in French, and published in 1977; what is on the link is an English translation. He did make a few recordings after 1981, the year of his son's death, including a Liszt disc for the 1986 bicentenary, but I must admit to never having seen any of them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Franz Liszt's big day!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:10 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8529
He had a rough upbringing AND his own son committed suicide? :( That is so awful; I lost a close relative to suicide. It's terrible and the sadness never leaves you. I feel very bad for Cziffra. :(

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Franz Liszt's big day!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:11 am
Posts: 750
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Yes; a dreadful thing to happen to anyone. Cziffra never performed with orchestra again (his son having been the conductor on all his orchestral performances from the late 60s) and the youtube clips available of his live performances from the late 80s show a considerably more circumspect performer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Franz Liszt's big day!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:13 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8529
That poor man. I'm going to have to read the book that you linked.

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group