Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Marc-André Hamelin
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:40 am 

Hi Riley,

I just read the article on Hamelin and found it enjoyable and very informative. Thanks for the link!

David

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:22 am 
Site Admin

I've read it too now. Mostly well-know stuff, though I was amazed to read that he does not own a piano, and practices on his fiancee's instrument (Cathy Fuller, I did not know that either).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:16 pm 

MAH generally now considered one of the "greats." Cziffra-like technique. His recording of the Brahms B flat pc is stunning, in my view. Richter is credited by many pianists (Argerich, for one) for having had the best overall technique/interpretive command of any pianist who ever lived. IE he could play everything from Bach to Berg, in many cases better than anyone else. Emmanuel Ax said that only Richter could do the octave playing in Brahms' B Flat pc AS Brahms intended it to be played. No pianist living or dead could manage it. Too difficult.

The MAH recording of the B Flat proves Ax wrong, I think. Listen to that octave playing, and then try it at home for pure frustration value. Also, MAH is proving that his rep is pretty varied; but all brilliantly performed, at least, all that I've heard.

JG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:38 pm 

A few months ago, my teacher offered me a free ticket to a $200 combination black tie dinner/Hamelin recital. I turned it down :( I'm an utter barbarian and do not own fancy clothes nor do I like fancy social events, and would have been exceptionally awkward there by myself. Maybe next time!

C'est la vie,
David

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

dctpianist wrote:
A few months ago, my teacher offered me a free ticket to a $200 combination black tie dinner/Hamelin recital. I turned it down :( I'm an utter barbarian and do not own fancy clothes nor do I like fancy social events, and would have been exceptionally awkward there by myself. Maybe next time!

C'est la vie,
David

I have no problem being myself. Please send me the ticket if you do not want to go next time. :D

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano