Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Ipad
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:05 am 

Hello Folks,

Does anyone here own an ipad? I'm utmostly curious to know if it will be a good device to read scores at the piano. If so, I think it will be a big revolution (thousands of pages in a single "computer sheet"). Also, it can read pdf files directly. My main concern is if is too small.

His dimensions are:
242.8 mm (9.56 in) (h)
189.7 mm (7.47 in) (w)
13.4 mm (0.53 in) (d)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad

Best,
Alexandre

Post subject: Re: Ipad
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

I don't have one, but I think you're right that it would be too small. I do know that there is already another kind of system for this sort of thing, but I don't know the name or even where to find it on the web. I've seen pictures of it somewhere though, something like a whole orchestra has one of these 'screens' on their music stands.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:31 am 
Site Admin

Have you checked out the Musicpad Pro ? See http://corporate.freehandmusic.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:26 pm 

Hi Chris, yes, I have, thanks.

It has the advantage of being 30 centimeters in height (as opposed to Ipad's 24cm). BUT, it is twice the price of the ipad (wth less than 1/100 its functionality), it has a tiny memory (ipad has dozens of GB) and it doesn't read pdf files. This amazon user review really opened my eyes:

"This is a love/hate review. I love the concept, but hate the execution.
I play a wide variety of music, with several different bands. Over the years, I have formatted over 1000 song (in Word) for printing lyrics and chords in BIG print so that the whole band (or at least the vocalists) can read from the chart. Hauling all 20 of my music binders to each gig is just not practical, so I usually ended up printing custom gig binders for each gig. But then there was always someone who requests that one song in binder at home....
So when I saw the Freehand Systems MusicPad Pro, I figured it would pay for itself in about two months in terms of saving me time, printer cartridges, etc. So I bought one and started the LONG task of converting all of my music so that it would be readable on the unit.
Let me interject that I have a Ph.D. in electrical engineering and I'm somwhat of a computer geek and gadget freak, so my tolerance is pretty high for things that are not idiot proof. I'm writing this review for those of you who might have the misconception that this thing is easy to get working to your liking.

In converting all of my Word files to the proprietary .fh files, I had to open and print each of my document via the freehand printer driver, then re-name each file and add my tags. Figuring-out what print setting to use was quite a nightmare. (Hint: use scaling and select Freehand in your Windows print driver first). It literally took me 16 hours to go through the process of converting all my files. Freehand should be ashamed to put this on the market without some way to batch convert from any format to their .fh files.

Then there is the file management. Why in the world they decided to make this thing with a measly 35 Megs of usable internal memory is a mystery to me. Less than 1/2 of my songs fit on the internal memory. There is a USB expansion slot that I had to use. But guess what, most of the memory sticks that they include with these units DONT WORK on the MPP because of some filtering issue in the cheap USB memory sticks that they get from China (and apparently, they don't have someone checking these things before shipping them out). In fact, only a few select memory sticks will work with this device - so beware. Freehand should have included a 1GB internal memory.

The final complaint I have is the price. For what it is, and for all the headaches I've had to go through to get it working, it should sell for $300. If I would have know how difficult it was to convert all of my files, I definitely would have just purchased a tablet PC.

Having said all of the above, I am happy that I have all the conversion behind me, and that I know how to operate the thing. I will use it on a regular basis, and it will simplify my gig preparation. If you are thinking of buying one of these things, be prepared for some pain before you get to the pleasure. "

Best,
Alexandre

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for that review, Alexandre.
I wasn't aware it did not read PDF. That is just ridiculous ! I would hope they would provide that functionaility in a coming version, as well as a slot for a multi-gig SD card. If they do that, and cut the price in half, then it would be a viable option :roll:
A simple tablet PC might be an option too.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:29 pm 

You might want to try the following:

http://www.musicreader.net/hardware.html

Its software for reading music and supports multiple hardware including laptops, and ipads.

It also has a USB pedal for page turning.

I sometimes plop my laptop on top of my piano but I didn't yet try this software. The idea of having a cheap foot pedal to turn pages (50$ US) seems really nice. Maybe someone will get me one for my birthday someday :)

The software supports PDF.

lisztzsil wrote:
Hello Folks,

Does anyone here own an ipad? I'm utmostly curious to know if it will be a good device to read scores at the piano. If so, I think it will be a big revolution (thousands of pages in a single "computer sheet"). Also, it can read pdf files directly. My main concern is if is too small.

His dimensions are:
242.8 mm (9.56 in) (h)
189.7 mm (7.47 in) (w)
13.4 mm (0.53 in) (d)

Best,
Alexandre

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:00 pm 

Hello s_winitsky, thanks for indication.

With this software seems that you should buy a Tablet PC first (or an ipad). Tell me: does it really work to put your notebook over your piano? I think it would be to high!!

Best,
Alexandre

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:18 pm 

Too high maybee on an upright, but on a grand you can simply take off the music stand thing and put your laptop instead. It works ok I think, but if you don't have the right software its awkard turning pages.

lisztzsil wrote:
Hello s_winitsky, thanks for indication.

With this software seems that you should buy a Tablet PC first (or an ipad). Tell me: does it really work to put your notebook over your piano? I think it would be to high!!

Best,
Alexandre

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:23 pm 

Oh that's right... I was thinking of an upright. The option for me would have to be a tablet pc or an ipad (because I don't have a grand).

Thanks,
Alexandre

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:02 am 

s_winitsky wrote:
You might want to try the following:

http://www.musicreader.net/hardware.html

Its software for reading music and supports multiple hardware including laptops, and ipads.

It also has a USB pedal for page turning.

I sometimes plop my laptop on top of my piano but I didn't yet try this software. The idea of having a cheap foot pedal to turn pages (50$ US) seems really nice. Maybe someone will get me one for my birthday someday :)

The software supports PDF.

lisztzsil wrote:
Hello Folks,

His dimensions are:
242.8 mm (9.56 in) (h)
189.7 mm (7.47 in) (w)
13.4 mm (0.53 in) (d)

Best,
Alexandre

iPad is good for finding out some new, Net serfing, music listening. But can it really replace a real book with its pages? Not for me, at least. It is just like to compare the recorded concert with a live one.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:39 am 
Site Admin

uhhh....DaliMe...welcome to Piano Society, but you picked a strange place to post your first comments! This thread is over a year old and you don't even seem to understand the subject. :roll:

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com