Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Evgeny Kissin
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:44 am 
Site Admin

hyenal wrote:
His existence itself is a miracle. But I'd like to be able to simply ignore his physical disability and concentrate myself on his music. I always tend to be distracted by my respect to that human being, which lies outside of musical evaluations.

This is true. It should not matter whether a pianist is blind, or only 3 years old, or has no arms, or whatever. In practice, it does matter greatly and it inevitably colors our appreciation. I think there are not so many blind classical keyboard players (the famous organist Helmut Walcha comes to mind).
It's an incomprehensible achievement.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:48 am 

richard66 wrote:
Just as I say! :D

Almost but not quite. I still think that Kissin is an excellent pianist. Next time I find myself in a city where he's playing I will certainly go to his concert, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:24 pm 

Look at Rodrigo, the blind composer, yet he lever let that out and there he is right. If you are good you will be remembered for that, not because you have some disability or because you can play upside down (was there not the violinist who played Beethoven's violin concerto with the strings facing downwards?). That is what I call an acrobat.

I know I have heard a great musician when I do not wonder how he manages to play piece A or B but when I am enthralled by the way he plays them. Technique is completely forgotten. In this discussion I see mostly the former: amazement, but not sentiment.

Is that not what we hear of Paganini?

Would I go to a Kissin concert? I doubt it, partly because of price, but mostly because I am a very odd pianist (if I may call myself so) in that I am not very fond of either Liszt or Chopin and that seems the staple diet if one is great.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

hanysz wrote:

So, with regards to Kissin's playing, you ask how could it get any better than that? I could say that Pollini (and a few others) changed my life, whereas Kissin merely impressed me.

That's very interesting, Alexander. I've seen Pollini play live three times. The first time I remember that I very much liked his Debussy Preludes. The second time I was more disappointed because he played my two favorite Chopin nocturnes too fast (IMO) like he was in a hurry to get out of there. Funny - that's all I remember about that concert. But the last time I saw him my opinion swung back to the positive. He played all the Chopin Preludes - probably the best I've ever heard them.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:46 pm 

techneut wrote:
musical-md wrote:
I don't know his name, but the only time I have been "blown away," literally in "shock and awe," and literally dumbfounded with my mouth hanging wide open at a pianist, was when I saw the Co-Winner, Chinese BLIND pianist, in the Van Clibun International Competition. I shall never be more shocked in my life by a pianist!

That would be Nobuyuki Tsujii, the Japanese blind pianist. Yes he is nothing short of a miracle.

Well said! Thanks for the correction and id.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:33 pm 

I have just read this in Wikipedia:

Quote:
At the age of 11 months, he was reputedly able to hum along to a Bach fugue his sister Alla was playing on the piano.

I remember my daughter humming along a Scarlatti sonata I was playing when she was 4 or 5 months old.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville