Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Evgeny Kissin
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:09 pm 

Hi everyone!

Pianolady, the three encores were:

Encore: Schumann/Liszt Liebeslied (Widmung)
Encore: Schubert/Liszt Soirées de Vienna (Valses caprices, No. 6)
Encore: Liszt Liebestraum No. 3

My wife and I also attended in Chicago. Full house, great audience response (as expected).

I felt the same as I always do when I hear Kissin live. He has a tremendous technical prowess and his sound is incredible. But when he plays works with larger structures such as the Liszt Sonata, he has some trouble maintaining the overall structural thread. I think the Liszt Sonata is so much greater than the manner in which he played it. He is no longer a child prodigy; he is a grown man who, by now, should be playing at the highest artistic level.

I enjoyed the shorter selections more.

In my opinion, Kissin is a great pianist. I hope he eventually fulfills his potential of becoming a great artist.

All best to everyone,

Alexander

http://www.AlexanderDjordjevic.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:18 am 
Site Admin

I can't claim to know the sonata as well as you, liszt1970 :wink:, so of course I couldn't listen with as critical an ear. I believe you though since you are the expert. And thanks for supplying the names of the encores, Alex. I knew I was close and that they all had to be Liszt.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:23 am 

Great technique, but I've always had reservations about his sound, finding it a bit monochromatic. In Liszt, I'd much rather listen to Bolet (for tonal qualities) or to Berman or Cziffra (for excitement).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:26 pm 

Quote:
I've always had reservations about his sound, finding it a bit monochromatic.

I couldn't agree more. I like Berman and Cziffra, too, although Cziffra perhaps only in small doses; it becomes a bit like listening to/watching a circus act after a while :P For me, I guess Horowitz is tops on Liszt, with Michael Ponti's and Jerome Rose's performances of various works also coming to mind (Jerome Rose does IMO a magnificent performance of the Annees on Vox Box and for such a bargain, but I'm not sure it's still available :( )

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:06 pm 

For me a pianist is not one who has complete mastery of the piano, but someone who uses this complete mastery to make music.

I have always considered Kissin, together with Pogorelich, not as a pianist, but as an acrobat. It seems I am not alone in this.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

Aw you guys, I wish you could have heard him play. I really can't see how it can get any better than that!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:58 pm 

Quote:
I have always considered Kissin, together with Pogorelich, not as a pianist, but as an acrobat.

Maybe they're focusing too much on their hair :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:06 pm 

Kissin was really, really good. No doubt about that! It's all just our personal opinions at this point. You can't please all the people all the time...

I disagree that Kissin and Pogorelich's playing are similar in any way whatsoever. Pogorelich infuses his playing with the essence of his real-life experiences, many of which are extremely painful; Kissin's playing shows his accomplishment and mastery of the piano because that's what he knows.

Music is life.

AD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:13 pm 

richard66 wrote:
I have always considered Kissin, together with Pogorelich, not as a pianist, but as an acrobat.

Even though I expressed reservations against Kissin, I find this remark unfair, Richard. There are (unfortunately) many famous pianists now, who have amazing technique, but no interpretatory depth which would have to go with that technique. The two pianists on your comment don't belong to that category at all. (Pogorelich was a great artist.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:07 am 
Site Admin

Well, since someone mentioned hair, I can say that Kissin's hair is getting shorter. Maybe he had just gotten a haircut...?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:30 am 

pianolady wrote:
Aw you guys, I wish you could have heard him play. I really can't see how it can get any better than that!

OK, when other pianists criticise Kissin, there's a certain component of jealousy. We all wish we had his superpowers when it comes to physical mastery of the instrument. So I've been holding my tongue, not commenting in this thread for fear that it would sound like sour grapes. I can't do what he does, so how dare I criticise?

I have heard Kissin play live, and it was indeed awesome. I was deeply impressed. But I've also heard Pollini play live, and the physical side of playing the instrument was very much in the background, secondary to the revelations about the music itself. It was simply on a different plane. I don't know whether Pollini could play, say, Feux Follets as quickly and as prettily as Kissin can, but such questions don't seem to matter.

So, with regards to Kissin's playing, you ask how could it get any better than that? I could say that Pollini (and a few others) changed my life, whereas Kissin merely impressed me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:44 am 

I don't know his name, but the only time I have been "blown away," literally in "shock and awe," and literally dumbfounded with my mouth hanging wide open at a pianist, was when I saw the Co-Winner, Chinese BLIND pianist, in the Van Clibun International Competition. I shall never be more shocked in my life by a pianist!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:57 am 
Site Admin

musical-md wrote:
I don't know his name, but the only time I have been "blown away," literally in "shock and awe," and literally dumbfounded with my mouth hanging wide open at a pianist, was when I saw the Co-Winner, Chinese BLIND pianist, in the Van Clibun International Competition. I shall never be more shocked in my life by a pianist!

That would be Nobuyuki Tsujii, the Japanese blind pianist. Yes he is nothing short of a miracle.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:31 am 

hanysz wrote:
So, with regards to Kissin's playing, you ask how could it get any better than that? I could say that Pollini (and a few others) changed my life, whereas Kissin merely impressed me.

Just as I say! :D

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:36 am 

techneut wrote:
musical-md wrote:

That would be Nobuyuki Tsujii, the Japanese blind pianist. Yes he is nothing short of a miracle.

His existence itself is a miracle. But I'd like to be able to simply ignore his physical disability and concentrate myself on his music. I always tend to be distracted by my respect to that human being, which lies outside of musical evaluations.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next