Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Rare music of Eduardo Dutra: Preludio, Op. 32 in F#m
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:01 pm 

Composed in 1940 and dedicated to his son, Farnesio, this beautiful and haunting late romantic “Preludio”, Op. 32 in F# minor composed by Eduardo Dutra (1908-1964?) leaves no doubt as to the fine talent and craftsmanship of this obscure Brazilian composer. The character of this prelude is that of a lament. I’ve included a biography below.

David

Piano: Baldwin Model L Artist Grand (6’3”) with lid fully open
Recorder: Korg MR-1000
Microphones: Earthworks TC20 matched pair of small diaphragm omni-directional condenser mics in A-B configuration

Comments welcome.

BIO:

Eduardo Dutra (1908 to 1964?) (No image found)

Eduardo Dutra was a 20th century Brazilian composer. Very little is known about this composer, including where he was born or died, although he might have resided in Rio de Janeiro, as his son Farnesio (1921-1987) later aka "Dick Farney", a pianist, singer and composer, was born there. Eduardo's wife's surname was Silva and was a singer. It is established that Dutra was a part-time composer, implying that he depended on an occupation other than composing for his livelihood. Unfortunately, there is no listing, not even a partial one, of his works. His scores were not published by the music publishing houses of his day, and only private printings were made. Following Dutra’s death most of his manuscripts and existing printed scores were apparently either lost or destroyed. Thus finding copies of his scores now is extremely difficult. Hopefully future searches by musicologists and musicians of libraries, archives and private collections in Brazil might yield more of Dutra’s compositions.

-- David April

Dutra - Preludio in F-sharp minor, Op. 32

Last edited by Rachfan on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Rare music of Eduardo Dutra: Preludio, Op. 32 in F#m
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:37 am 

That certainly is a rarity!

The climax and ending strikes me as the most effective section; it would be a fine piece for an unguessable encore. :) You put the music across well even if the piece is perhaps a little slight. Well worth hearing, and the bass on your piano sounds really good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:59 am 

Hi Andrew,

Thanks so much for pausing to listen to this piece. I think it turned out OK. The Baldwin was tuned just last week, and despite the harsh winter we're having here (tonight the temperature will be -15 F), it sounded good. While he was here I had a discussion with my tuner/technician. I do believe the piano is a bit bright now, so he'll be doing some voicing of the Ronsen Wurzen hammers to darken the tone a little. So a different sound down the road.

David

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:00 am 
Site Admin

I do like dark and lamenting music and this certainly fits the bill! Great playing, David; I would expect nothing less from you on a piece like this!

And this is up. Thank you for the bio, but I've put it in the miscellaneous composer section, since Dutra is not well-known and we have only this one short piece.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:20 am 

Hi Monica,

Thanks for listening and for the compliment! I find this prelude to be a very personal piece of music, a beautiful memory... but ending tragically.

I figured that Dutra would most likely have to be added into the Miscellaneous category, as his sheet music is most difficult to find. A lady at another website asked me how to find it and told her she might need the services of an archeologist, a gold prospector, and a detective to unearth the scores. It's almost that difficult. :(

I'm so glad you enjoyed this music.

David

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:22 am 
Site Admin

I can see why you were attracted to this piece David, and I wonder where you first heard it. I'd never even heard of Dutra, despite knowing quite some Brazilian composers (most only by name of course ;-) )

Save for the occasional flash of Brazilian-ness, whatever that is, the piece could well be Russian late-romantic, and a good one at that. The piece may be single-minded but I do not think it is slight. Marvellously played, one of your best recordings I've heard. The dynamics are very good, and the instrument is in great voice. The only possible nag I can have is that it seems a little over-reverberant in places, not sure if it's because of pedal usage or the reverb settings. Not a big deal though, all perfectly acceptable.

Thanks for making PS yet more worthwhile with unknown repertoire !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:37 pm 

Talk about mysterious mediaeval composers... You cannot get more mystrious than this: even more obscure than Bortkiewicz!

What can I say that has not been said already above? Good listening and good playing.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:25 pm 

Hi Chris,

To be honest, I had never heard of Dutra either. It was serendipity. One day I got an email from a professional pianist with the pdf of the score attached suggesting that I might like to play the piece. I contacted one of our favorite Brazilian pianists here at PS, and he was equally in the dark in regards to Dutra. This is another of those cases where I had to develop a performance concept from scratch. This piece is a short work, but nonetheless I was really struck by the intensity of it!

I agree with you on the style. Had I gotten a Villa Lobos sound, for example, that would have been unsurprising. But yes, this was almost like late romantic Russian music. And I have no way to tell if it's characteristic of of Dutra's writing in general, or an exception. We can all pull out a piece by almost any composer and point to it as not being characteristic of a composer's usual style and idiom. But here we have no comparison pieces. I guess it just adds to the mystery of Dutra and his music.

On the reverberation, I believe it's the pedaling. In the higher tenor and up into the treble, one can often get away with more pedal up there. And in the bass, if the notes are well above forte, they can often override any preexisting overtones nicely. So sometimes it was intentional. But... yesterday I had done several takes, and it could be that my pedaling had become a bit lazy toward the end of the session, as this was the final take. Overall, I don't think it's too bad though.

Thanks for listening to this unknown work and your nice compliments. I appreciate it! :)

David

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:29 pm 

Hi Richard,

Thanks for listening and your compliments on my playing! Yes, I must admit that at first this piece was quite a mystery to me as well. But the more I got into it while practicing, the piece began to reveal its secrets. At first I didn't think I'd much like it, but the more I played it, the more it grew on me.

David

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:34 pm 

Hi David,
that´s a profound piece and interpretation as we are used from you! There is an inspiring expression and and there seems to be a deep understanding of that piece, though I don´t have the score and can judge it only by intuition here, of course. Are there triplets against eigth or something like that at some places? In every case there seems to be a polyrhythmic structure, which seems to be well elaborated to me. Thank you for sharing this rare gem. It´s very interesting for me to meet it in such a convincing performance here!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:50 pm 

Hi Andreas,

I'm so glad you enjoyed hearing this virtually unknown composition of Dutra. When I first received the piece, I didn't quite know what to think of it frankly. But as I gained insights into the music, the piece grew on me. And yes, you have a fine ear--the polyrhythms are unrelenting! I didn't let that bother me though, as that aspect of idiom seems to be quite pervasive throughout the Late Romantic literature. For a two-page piece, the complexities were a bit surprising. This is also the first South American music I've ever played.

Thanks so much, Andreas, for your compliments on my interpretation and performance. I appreciate it!

David

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:35 am 

Hello David, excellent recording and excellent repertoire choice!
I specially like the title of your post hehehe

I already knew this piece. My teacher, Neusa França, has a copy of it dedicated by the author (actually, I'd go as far as supposing that you have her copy). The Belgian pianist Pierre Feraux recorded it in his "Brasileiro" CD, and scanned the sheet-music from Neusa França's collection.

http://users.tvcablenet.be/personal/tvc ... racks.html
www.pierreferaux.com

The dedicatee of the piece, his son, was a famouse Brazilian pianist of popular music called Dick Farney.

Best,
Alexandre

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:15 am 

Hi Alexandre,

Thanks so much for your kind words! I appreciate that!

The history of my involvement with this piece began when one day I received an email from a professional pianist containing this prelude in pdf format. When I printed it out, there was no special inscription on it, so it looked like ordinary sheet music in every way. At the bottom right-hand corner it did indicate: Mario, Gravador. So probably it didn't originate from Neusa Franca's collection. But... nonetheless, I suspect it could have originated from another source in France that comes to mind now.

That's so interesting to learn more about Dutra's son Farnesio (1921-1987)! When his father dedicated the "Preludio" to him, Farnesio would have been 19. It would seem that Farnesio aka "Dick Farney" with his long performing career ultimately became far more famous than his composer father. I only wish that while Farnesio was still living, that others could have explored with him the whereabouts of his father's manuscripts and printed scores, if they had not been lost or destroyed. That is, he might have known exactly where it was all stored!

Thanks too for those links.

Best regards,
David

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:58 am 

Rachfan wrote:
The history of my involvement with this piece began when one day I received an email from a professional pianist containing this prelude in pdf format. When I printed it out, there was no special inscription on it, so it looked like ordinary sheet music in every way. At the bottom right-hand corner it did indicate: Mario, Gravador. So probably it didn't originate from Neusa Franca's collection.

I assume "Gravador" means engraver, in the same way as some English edition scores have the name of the person who engraved/set the score.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:34 pm 

Hi Andrew,

That was my thought also.

David

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:16 pm 

I haven't listened to your work for quite a while David and I must say I'm impressed. Majestic playing and majestic sound. Really. Open, balanced. Very artistic. You seem to have managed what you were obviously after.
To be honest, I don't find the piece (as a composition) interesting. But you seem to have found things to grab on and make the most out of it. The composer should be very happy if he could listen to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:34 pm 

Hi Pantelas,

Good to hear from you again! Thank you so much for all that praise on my playing. (I'm going to try not to let it go to my head so I can still fit through the doorways here at home!) When I received this piece, like everyone else here I was totally unfamiliar with it. So developing a concept and interpretation became most important to me in learning and playing it. And yes, I definitely aimed to make the most of it. The fact that the piece didn't appeal to you is understandable, as all of us have our preferences and dislikes, no matter the composer or the composition. I'm very glad though that despite the composer being so obscure, you still took a chance and listened anyway.

Your comment that Dutra would have been happy to hear this rendition resonates a lot with me. Whenever I'm studying a new work, I always imagine that the composer is sitting on the sofa in my living room taking it all in. It motivates me to do my best.

Thanks again for listening!

David

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:56 pm 

Hi David, I loved your devoted playing and this gorgeous piece so much!!! I listened to it twice and probably this unique music will be played in my dream again and again.. :roll: (it's nearly 11 o'clock pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:45 am 

Hi Hye-Jin,

I'm glad you loved this piece so much. It always gives me endless pleasure to come across an obscure gem such as this Dutra piece and then to reveal it to the PS members. Have sweet dreams!

David

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:52 am 

Hello David,

I'd love to see Dutra's other works as well! Judging by this piece, they must certainly be worth it.
The dedicatory I mentioned was on the front cover, if I remember correctly. Anyhow, it's great that you found this piece.

Best wishes,
Alexandre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:35 am 

Hi Alexandre,

Ahhh... I only received the two pages of the music, sans the front cover. So yes, it is possible that the origin was as you suggested.

Also based on the other facts you kindly gave me, I went back to my opening post where I had included a biographical sketch, and was able to enhance it! So thanks for that.

Where the piece is so sad, and where Farnesio was 19 in 1940, it would be interesting to know the event in Farnesio's life that caused his father Eduardo to compose the piece and dedicate it to his son. It could have been something adolescent, like Farnesio breaking up with his girl friend. We'll never know.

Do you know by chance if Neusa Franca knew Cyprien Katsaris?

David

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:52 pm 

If you think this Brazilian sounds like a Russian, do listen to this concerto and say does it not sound like you know who after a tour in Brazil?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPq4v7eTDiw&fmt=8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3zeltO3 ... x=68&fmt=8

1st link Mvts 1 and 2, wnd link mvt 3.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

richard66 wrote:
If you think this Brazilian sounds like a Russian, do listen to this concerto and say does it not sound like you know who after a tour in Brazil?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPq4v7eTDiw&fmt=8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3zeltO3 ... x=68&fmt=8

1st link Mvts 1 and 2, wnd link mvt 3.

Khachaturian ? Or did you have another you-know-who in mind ? There are surely lots of influences to be detected, not all of them fully digested.

Thanks for posting this. I'd never heard of Tavares. Not a terrible original composer, but a capable one it seems, writing as well for the orchestra as the piano. This does not overall sound particularly Brazilian to me. Some great big-hearted tunes in there though.

What a mighty pianist Arnaldo Cohen is. He should be far more famous :!:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:05 pm 

Hi David,

I don't think Neusa França ever met Katsaris, but she was a student of Magda Tagliaferro and knew many important Brazilian composers like Francisco Mignone (with whom she studied), Lorenzo Fernandez (who was in the examination of her admission test for the conservatoire when she was an adolescent), Villa Lobos, and Claudio Santoro (a personal friend).

richard66, I love Heckel Tavares' Piano Concerto in Brazilian Forms. Arnaldo Cohen and Roberto Tibiriçá did a spledid job in it. There are so many great Brazilian composers. If you want something Russian, listen to this Ponteio Guarnieri dedicated to Scriabin!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMK5n0RaUFg

Best,
Alexandre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:13 pm 

I was actually thinking of Rachmaninoff, actually. It could have been his "lost concerto", if he had ever lost one!

The funny thing is that if Dutra, a classical composer, had a son who was a popular composer, Tavares was father and son together - having his foot in both camps. This concerto, as well as some other pieces, are quite atypical, really.

My father brought these works to my attention, commenting that Tavares was obviously a great admirer of Rachmaninoff.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:28 am 

Alexandre, I have listened to the Camargo Guarnieri. Indeed, it does sound familiar. Speaking of that, some time ago I was investigating recordings of Bortkiewicz's Etudes and the best one (to my mind) version of op 15/8 I found (on YouTube) was yours. I could actually hear the lyric B section. Why do you not post it here?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:57 pm 

Hi, David!

definitely it's a Russian piece!
nice playing! and I'm impressed how you could find it. I have come across some Pierre Feraux recordings, but never this Dutra piece!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:48 am 

Hi Felipe,

Thanks for listening and your nice comment.

Actually I didn't find Dutra's piece--it found me. :lol: I received it from a professional performing artist who suggested I might like to play it. From what I understand it traveled from Brazil to Canada to the USA, and finally to me. I didn't know what to expect, but once I took it to the piano, I immediately saw its potential. It's a trifle, but a gem of a trifle.

David

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:11 am 

Hello, David!

Such a sorrowful and beautiful piece... I was holding my breath by the end. I was thinking it reminded me a little of something by Szymanowski (I am trying to learn a few of the preludes). I can't exactly place it/them, but that was my initial reaction. What a treat to have someone send you a score like that. :) That would make it so much easier to decide what to play next, always an impossible decision for me (and so I procrastinate and don't play anything for months, ugh).

Thanks for posting this. I think your piano sounds great, BTW. What year is your L?

~Adrienne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:13 am 

Hi Adrienne,

I'm glad you enjoyed this piece. I always have a queue of recording projects, so know exactly what I'll be doing next. When I got the Dutra score, I wasn't quite sure where I should place it. As it turned out, I decided to prioritize it as my very next piece to study, and I'm glad I did. This prelude, a trifle really, is a little gem, but a gem nonetheless! It's been a hit with listeners, so I think I made a good decision to play it sooner than later. And where Dutra is nearly unknown now, I'm pleased to have served this fine composer who deserves to be remembered.

And thanks for complimenting my Baldwin L Artist Grand too. I purchased it new in 1984 and in 2007 did a partial rebuilding, as it gets frequent workouts. We've done a lot of work together over the years! The new Ronsen Wurzen hammers (replacing the original Baldwin-Renner hammers--my choice) were so great right out of the box in 2007, such that very little filing and voicing needed to be done--just a few very minor touches. My concern now is that with "wearing in", the piano is sounding noticeably on the bright side. So I'm seriously considering doing just enough voicing of the hammers to get a slightly darker and more typical Baldwin sound.

Thanks for listening to the "Preludio".

David

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:15 am 

(David, sorry for using your post to answer to Richard's message..!)

Hello Richard,

I'm delighted to hear your opinion on my rendition of Bortkiewicz's Op.15 No.8 and will consider recording it for PS.

Best,
Alexandre

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:13 am 

Hi Alexandre,

No problem. Op. 15 No. 8 is one of my favorites too. Looking forward to your recording! :)

David

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:39 pm 
Dr. Eduardo D'Utra e Silva, inherited the Laboratory F. Dutra, Fabrizio your father and also the love of letters and arts. Eduardo's father Dick, a pediatrician, philosopher, composer, musician, very cultivated, an expert in wrestling, polyglot, including full fluency in Greek, he studied philosophy devoting himself especially the neo-scholastic. Famous conductor and composer, and very successful entrepreneur also taught to a select group of students, one of the famous students of Eduardo Dutra e Silva, Jack Klein was professor Arnaldo Cohen.
In music he joined the neo-romanticism. He studied music theory with renowned masters, violin with Joaquim Boisson; perfected in piano with Henry Oswald, Barroso Neto and Charley Lachmund.
Eduardo Dutra was a classical composer of great prestige and over the years leading conductors and soloists have performed several of his works, among them Francisco Braga, Henrique Spedini, Ernesto Ronchini Arthur Bosmans, Martinez Degree and recently Arnaldo Cohen recently presented one of his works on his CD released in 2005.
Among the soloists, Mario Neves, Mario de Azevedo, Arnaldo Rebello, Josette Dyla, Isaac Feldman, Peri Machado and others. His works are performed, Concerto in F sharp minor, "ballet - Pantomime" entitled "The Princess of Medinet - el Fayum," five "Preludes", "Orientales" (suite of seven dances of oriental character), "Idyll" Etc. For piano, "Sonata in C minor, twelve" Preludes "and six" Miniatures "(children's suite), five" studies "," Five "Mazurkas" and three "Viennese Waltz" concert, "Three Berceuse" "Concerto No. 2" Piano "Concerto No. 1" for orchestra. Eduardo studied philosophy and theology, many hours a day with equal dedication to music.
As a pediatrician served only children of friends and relatives.
The evenings were frequented by famous artists, musicians, singers and well Cyl Dick and grew in an environment focused on the arts and philosophy.
It is worth noting that all you had to practice wrestling watching Grandpa and his followers and coach
This is part of the book is a biography of Dick Farney.
Mariangela- I am the heir of both, put me to provide further information, thank you and to emphasize that we are thrilled with the comments about the work of Eduardo Dutra.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:37 pm 

I suppose this is meant as bio material for the listing here? However, regarding the following:
Quote:
As a pediatrician served only children of friends and relatives

I would not list this exclusivity, as it may in others (as it does in me, a physician) make them think that he only served those who could pay and not others. Certainly as a man of culture, letters, art and such, his "friends and relatives" would also have been individuals of privilege with resources.

Respectfully,

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:04 am 

Hi Mariangela,

Thank you so much for providing all of that additional information on Eduardo Dutra! It is not easy to find background material on this wonderful composer. Having read your account, I now feel that I know him far better than before. When I was given the score to his "Preludio", Op.32, it was an honor for me to learn and record the piece and present it here at Piano Society. I notice on the "insights" feature at YouTube that my biggest audience for this recording are listeners in Brazil, so it has not gone unnoticed, and I am grateful for that!

I do hope that more of his piano solo scores will be rediscovered and reprinted sooner than later. I'm sure there are many treasures there. In comparing thoughts with the artist who gave me the score, I've concluded that the Preludio, Op. 32 came to me from Paris to Rio de Janeiro to Montreal to New York City and then to my home in Maine. That's a very roundabout route for one, rare piece of sheet music. Imagine if these pieces could be more readily available to pianists!

Thanks again for your comments.

David

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:28 pm 

eduardo dutra wrote:
Dr. Eduardo D'Utra e Silva, inherited the Laboratory F. Dutra, Fabrizio your father and also the love of letters and arts. Eduardo's father Dick, a pediatrician, philosopher, composer, musician, very cultivated, an expert in wrestling, polyglot, including full fluency in Greek, he studied philosophy devoting himself especially the neo-scholastic. Famous conductor and composer, and very successful entrepreneur also taught to a select group of students, one of the famous students of Eduardo Dutra e Silva, Jack Klein was professor Arnaldo Cohen.
In music he joined the neo-romanticism. He studied music theory with renowned masters, violin with Joaquim Boisson; perfected in piano with Henry Oswald, Barroso Neto and Charley Lachmund.
Eduardo Dutra was a classical composer of great prestige and over the years leading conductors and soloists have performed several of his works, among them Francisco Braga, Henrique Spedini, Ernesto Ronchini Arthur Bosmans, Martinez Degree and recently Arnaldo Cohen recently presented one of his works on his CD released in 2005.
Among the soloists, Mario Neves, Mario de Azevedo, Arnaldo Rebello, Josette Dyla, Isaac Feldman, Peri Machado and others. His works are performed, Concerto in F sharp minor, "ballet - Pantomime" entitled "The Princess of Medinet - el Fayum," five "Preludes", "Orientales" (suite of seven dances of oriental character), "Idyll" Etc. For piano, "Sonata in C minor, twelve" Preludes "and six" Miniatures "(children's suite), five" studies "," Five "Mazurkas" and three "Viennese Waltz" concert, "Three Berceuse" "Concerto No. 2" Piano "Concerto No. 1" for orchestra. Eduardo studied philosophy and theology, many hours a day with equal dedication to music.
As a pediatrician served only children of friends and relatives.
The evenings were frequented by famous artists, musicians, singers and well Cyl Dick and grew in an environment focused on the arts and philosophy.
It is worth noting that all you had to practice wrestling watching Grandpa and his followers and coach
This is part of the book is a biography of Dick Farney.
Mariangela- I am the heir of both, put me to provide further information, thank you and to emphasize that we are thrilled with the comments about the work of Eduardo Dutra.

Thank you very much for all this fascinating information. Jacques Klein (along with Joel Ryce and Jerome Lowenthal) was one of the few students of William Kapell, incidentally.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:38 pm 

Outstanding colour, David. Excellent understanding and judgement of mood and style. I'm very impressed once again by your full sound and dynamics.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:33 pm 

Hi Pantelis,

Thanks for listening to this "Preludio". I'm happy that you enjoyed it, and thanks for the compliments!

You probably noticed that Eduardo Dutra's grand-daughter added some information here about the composer and his many activities which was quite interesting. Getting the score for this piece was true serendipity for me. It came to me through a very convoluted global route. As I said elsewhere, finding Dutra's scores nearly requires archeology. As I started playing it at the piano, it quickly grew on me, and as the final step I recorded it. It turned out that Arnaldo Cohen had recorded it a few years earlier. The two interpretations are very different, but that's a good thing, as it hints at the possibilities for interpretation. It was a wonderful feeling doing at least a small part to illuminate this music.

David

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:47 am 

A strange thing happened. I noticed that I had commented on this piece almost a year ago. And yesterday, I came upon it once again and it felt so impressive again that I had to write a few lines again!
So, David, apart from my sanity of judgement and consistency verification, this means that your performance holds well through the test of time. Also thanks for your reply, I found all this information really interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:34 am 

Hi Pantelis,

At least you knew you were commenting a second time. And I greatly appreciate that! In a thread that will remain unmentioned, I recently noticed that I had responded to it three times over a couple of years without realizing it. :lol: :lol: :lol: They must have thought I was the absent minded professor. :oops:

David

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:55 am 

Rachfan wrote:
Hi Mariangela,

Thank you so much for providing all of that additional information on Eduardo Dutra! It is not easy to find background material on this wonderful composer. Having read your account, I now feel that I know him far better than before. When I was given the score to his "Preludio", Op.32, it was an honor for me to learn and record the piece and present it here at Piano Classes Society. I notice on the "insights" feature at YouTube that my biggest audience for this recording are listeners in Brazil, so it has not gone unnoticed, and I am grateful for that!

I do hope that more of his piano solo scores will be rediscovered and reprinted sooner than later. I'm sure there are many treasures there. In comparing thoughts with the artist who gave me the score, I've concluded that the Preludio, Op. 32 came to me from Paris to Rio de Janeiro to Montreal to New York City and then to my home in Maine. That's a very roundabout route for one, rare piece of sheet music. Imagine if these pieces could be more readily available to pianists!

Thanks again for your comments.

David

^ Wow, it is a beautiful piece. I don't know who the composer was but the piece is definitely worth listening to. Great recording and piano playing.

Last edited by StephenC on Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:04 am 

Hi Stephen,

I'm so glad you enjoyed this prelude by a little-known composer. I didn't quite know what to expect, but once I started playing it, the piece really grew on me. I just wish we had more of Dutra's works. Thanks for listening.

David

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:22 am 

I find the post by this "family member" of Dutra a bit cheesey. Having contacts in Brazil I set them looking for Dutra and not a single reference was found of him in any single musical or sound library. It was as if had never existed. Besides that, the surname is wrong: D'Utra does not exist and no recordings seem to be available, which is strange, if a CD was issued in 2005 by a fairly well-known pianist.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:40 pm 

Hi Richard,

Well, Arnaldo Cohen has played Dutra's Preludio on a CD. I can send you the clip if you'd like to hear it. I also had read earlier that Dutra owned a testing laboratory (evidently his daytime job), which also fits the account here. On YouTube a gentleman familiar with Dutra responded offering a correction on Duta's date of birth. (I haven't changed it.) His son Farnesio existed for sure, as he was a well-known musician in the U.S. in the 1950s. Nuessa Franca in Paris also has an old personally autographed copy of the Preludio in Dutra's own hand. Plus there is a brief write-up in Wikipedia about the composer. I have no doubt that the man truly existed. As I had mentioned before, Dutra was not published by a major sheet music publisher. He preferred to do private printings on demand. So it's not surprising that his music was not widely played or recorded.

David

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:53 pm 

Hello, David,

I was not questioning the existence of Dutra, whom we know existed and all that, but that he should turn out to be so famous. My contact certainly did not come up with any musical evidence whatsoever, which is odd. I quote:

Quote:
I've spent hours trying to find any kind of link which would tell me anything about Eduardo Dutra. I Tried Instituto Moreira Salles, Museu imagem e do som, Arquivo Nacional, Dicionário Cravo Albim, Dicionário Houais de musica, etc. With absolutely no results. Only thing I could find, was that the father taught the child to play the piano and the mother was a singer.

Apparently Dick Farney has a son, named Eduardo, also, but I could not find any other reference. Only José Eduardo Dutra, president of PT, who isn't the person you want.

Anyway, I wish, I WISH, this relative could deliver the goods and produce some of the scores! Based on the evidence of that prelude, he was good!

What piece das Estrella play?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:25 am 

Hi Mariangela,

Thank you for listing those works of Eduardo Dutra for solo piano. Today how can pianists obtain copies of the sheet music for those piano pieces? If you could kindly give us some information on that, it would be most helpful. Thank you for your assistance.

David

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:32 am 

Hi Richard,

Mariangela did not leave us a way to contact her, so leaving the message above is the only possibility for now.

So far as I know, those scores were lost or destroyed after Dutra's death. It might take an organized search of municipal and university music libraries and private archives in Rio de Janeiro to locate any extant scores. This might be the next closest thing to archeology. :lol:

David

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:03 pm 

Rachfan wrote:
Hi Richard,

Mariangela did not leave us a way to contact her, so leaving the message above is the only possibility for now.

David

Hello, David,

That in itself makes me think it is a hoax.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:16 am 
Eduardo D'Utra e Silva, son of Fabrizio, inherited from his parents love for God, the arts, science, philosophy, and the rights of a very popular drug - Feverfew - among other drugs manufactured by the Laboratory F.Dutra, leading the name of Fabrizio D'Utra e Silva.

Eduardo excellent student since childhood, and dedicated perfectionist, I'm philosophy, was trained in music, very competent with string instruments, especially violin and masterful pianist during his lifetime wrote many scholarly works and large numbers were presented, was formed in pharmacy and medicine having specialized in pediatrics, philosopher, poligloto, loved boxing and wrestling sports activities which specializes. Eduardo develop teaching techniques that apply to students of piano, violin and his sons
In music he joined the neo-romanticism. He studied music theory with renowned masters; violin with Joachim Boisson; perfected on piano with Henrique Oswald, Barroso Netto and Charley Lachmund.

Eduardo Dutra, was a composer and scholar of great reputation over the years outstanding conductors and soloists performed several of his works, among them Francisco Braga (was artistic director and conductor of the Orchestra Symphonic Concert Society), Henry Spedini (conductor holder Symphony Orchestra of Theatro Municipal do Rio de Janeiro), by Symphony Orchestra of Rio de Janeiro under the baton of conductor and professor Ernesto Ronchini, conductor Arthur Bosmans, Martinez Degree and recently Arnaldo Cohen recently presented one of his works in his Cd edited in 2005.
Among the soloists, Mario Neves, Mario de Azevedo, Arnaldo Rebello, Dyla Josetti, Isaac Feldman, Peri Machado and others. His works are performed more; Concerto in F sharp minor; "Balet - pantomime" entitled "The Princess of Medinet - el Fayum," five "Preludes", "Orientales" (suite of seven dances of oriental character), "Idyll" Etc. For Piano, "Sonata in C minor; twelve" Preludes "and six" Miniatures "(suite child); five" Studies ";" Five "Mazurkas" and three "Viennese Waltzes"; concert, "Three Berceuses" "Concerto No. 2" for piano and "Concerto No. 1" for orquestra.Arthur Rubinstein presented several pieces and presented Anatoli Kitain Hall Carnigie presented in the composition of Eduardo "Prelude in F Minor." The Orquetra Sinfonica Brasileira presented hundreds of works by Eduardo of which he himself excelled "Prelude for String" and "Concerto for piano and orchestra.
Eduardo studied philosophy, theology and many hours per day with equal dedication to the music, to lecture to a select group of students, with the sole purpose of perfecting them, competent administrator transforms the lab he inherited from his father, one of the most important its segment, and its production successes in various areas combined produce beautiful book.
Eduardo, marries a young socialite Iracema, pianist, artist plastica (traditional society of Alagoas and Rio), had two sons Dick Farney (Farnesio Dutra e Silva) famous conductor, arranger, singer, pianist, actor and presenter and Cyll Farney (Cylleno Dutra e Silva) known film and television actor, entrepreneur, musician.
Eduardo Dutra and devoted himself Suiva follow very diligently to encourage the children in their artistic activities and was the biggest fan of the work they performed, died in 1953 of myocardial infarction fulminat.
I am heiress to Dick Farney and I am available for more information on Dick Farney, Cyll Farney children and the Dutra Dr.Eduardo own Eduardo Dutra.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:56 am 
Site Admin

Another gobbledygook spam post from this shady person - cross-posted 4 times in different forums. There really is no point to this. I have removed this person (email address dickfarney@us.com :roll: ) from the forum.