Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: problems with statistics
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:43 pm 

Dear administrators,
Just a warning - in the unlikely case where you wouldn't be aware of: the statistics of the site do not work correctly for several weeks. Maybe an effect of the updating of the software ? I hope this problem will be fixed, since it is interesting to follow the carreer of the pieces we place on the site...
BTW, many thanks for all the work you do for this community !

Post subject: Re: problems with statistics
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

Francois de Larrard wrote:
Dear administrators,
Just a warning - in the unlikely case where you wouldn't be aware of: the statistics of the site do not work correctly for several weeks. Maybe an effect of the updating of the software ? I hope this problem will be fixed, since it is interesting to follow the carreer of the pieces we place on the site...
BTW, many thanks for all the work you do for this community !

Yes the stats have been useless ever since we changed the logging of the webserver (which was necessary to prevent the site from locking up). I think I even posted a note about it. I would have fixed it long ago if only I wasn't so bone lazy.... I find I no longer much like programming in my spare time. Actually, I am pretty surprised anyone is looking at them :!:

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:19 pm 

techneut wrote:
Actually, I am pretty surprised anyone is looking at them :!:

Yes, there is at least one person doing so, but many more, I'm sure !

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
Actually, I am pretty surprised anyone is looking at them :!:

ahem..... :wink:

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:14 am 

It would be nice to have them fixed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:12 am 

I hope you don't mind me reviving an old thread. Is this to do with the numbers at http://pianosociety.com/stats.html showing a sudden drop from February 2010? I wondered if this is due to the old statistics showing individual page hits and the new statistics showing sessions.

In any case, if this can't easily be fixed then the statistics page needs to include an explanatory note. Otherwise it looks as though the site has become much less popular!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:57 am 

hanysz wrote:
I hope you don't mind me reviving an old thread. Is this to do with the numbers at http://pianosociety.com/stats.html showing a sudden drop from February 2010? I wondered if this is due to the old statistics showing individual page hits and the new statistics showing sessions.

In any case, if this can't easily be fixed then the statistics page needs to include an explanatory note. Otherwise it looks as though the site has become much less popular!

I'm pretty new here, but I'm quite sure that it's Bush's fault. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:13 am 
Site Admin

The stats page is totally screwed up and no one wants to fix it. I, for one, love to look at stats, but the other admins say it is difficult to maintain and/or fix. That is an interesting observation about the site 'looking' like it is less popular, because it is as popular as ever. We would appreciate someone who could help us fix our stats!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:55 am 

pianolady wrote:
We would appreciate someone who could help us fix our stats!

Hello Monica,
I am not aware of the details regarding the PS process regarding server, hard-disk and so on, but I imagine the PS server is hosted by a private company (the one to which we pay some $5,000 a year or so). Can't this company resume the statistics function ? If it is a question of budget, how much would it cost ? If the cost is reasonnable, maybe a special call could be made for this ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:27 am 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
The stats page is totally screwed up and no one wants to fix it. I, for one, love to look at stats, but the other admins say it is difficult to maintain and/or fix. That is an interesting observation about the site 'looking' like it is less popular, because it is as popular as ever. We would appreciate someone who could help us fix our stats!

That someone would have to dig around in my C source code. Not a task to relish, it's quite a lump. I got fed up with it last time I tried. It's not that it is so difficult, I just can't be bothered somehow. It's too much like work :-/
I suppose if I don't fix it I should better take it off altogether. Will think about it. I had never realized so many people seem to like this functionality.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:34 pm 
Site Admin

:idea: Francois may be on to something. :idea: Maybe we could all actually pitch in some money and pay somebody to 'dig around in the C source code and fix our stats. I'd be willing to pitch in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

I'll do it if I get handsomely rewarded :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
I'll do it if I get handsomely rewarded :D

Joking or for real?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

Well you started about chipping in... I am just taking the bait.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

So when do I get paid?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

You mean you fixed the stats ??? That was quick.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

:roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:22 pm 

Impressive! Speaking of stats, judging by the posts and replies (and the number of votes on my poll for whose music to only live with elsewhere), as a newcomer I have found the active PS Community to be much smaller than expected, but thouroughly enjoyable nonetheless and I'm happy that I joined :) .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:16 am 
Site Admin

musical-md wrote:
Impressive! Speaking of stats, judging by the posts and replies (and the number of votes on my poll for whose music to only live with elsewhere), as a newcomer I have found the active PS Community to be much smaller than expected, but thouroughly enjoyable nonetheless and I'm happy that I joined :) .

Good to hear Eddy, and do stick around. Too many people have left over the years - this used to be a much livelier place with more discussion and fun. On the positive side, the quality of both postings and submissions has hugely improved since then.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Ok, ok.... I'll work on fixing the stats. I found that in february last year I had already laid the groundwork, i.e. managing and filtering the server access log. I had forgotten all about that :D

This might explain a hiccup that some people experience now and then. Every midnight, the webserver is briefly brought down to be able squirrel away a copy of the access log and start with a clean slate (the access log becomes too huge to handle otherwise). I don't believe this takes more than a couple of seconds, or maybe minutes at worst, but it is a little window of unavailability all the same.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:59 am 

techneut wrote:
That someone would have to dig around in my C source code.

I'd be willing to look at the source code and see whether I'm able to help. (The answer might well be "no", since it's about 10 years since I last programmed in C. But I'm kind of curious as to how much I can remember, and it costs nothing to look.) Message me if you want to follow up on this; it's probably not a good idea to post the source code in a public forum.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:50 am 
Site Admin

hanysz wrote:
I'd be willing to look at the source code and see whether I'm able to help. (The answer might well be "no", since it's about 10 years since I last programmed in C. But I'm kind of curious as to how much I can remember, and it costs nothing to look.) Message me if you want to follow up on this; it's probably not a good idea to post the source code in a public forum.

Thanks for the offer, but even if C coding was your daily bread today this would not help so much. It's not that the C code is bad or buggy, it's just that the external conditions have changed. We now have a different way of handling the access logs, and the program needs to be adapted to that. As well as simplified so that I can still understand my own logic after a couple of months :D

But if you're just curious I can mail you the source code.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:21 am 

Indeed I am curious :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

I am now under steam with rewriting the code as needed. It's starting to do something again. I'll send you the code when it's ready.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

The stats program is shaping up again, I think I'm almost ready to regenerate the full stats from february 2010 until now. I more or less needed to overhaul the entire C code. The cumulative stats has to process ~7 million downloads and sort them in various ways. This was eating up memory like crazy and I had to re-think the way this enormous wad of data was stored in memory. Had some terrible time today with untraceable heap corruptions but luckily they disappeared after I simplified a certain part of the code :D
All in all quite a project but the end seems near now. Would be great to get back to the piano again :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:17 pm 

Good to read that, Chris. Don't fall in the last turn !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:07 am 

Thanks Chris for doing this! I hope it hasn't been too unpleasant a task.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:54 am 
Site Admin

At long last, the download statistics have risen from the ashes. It took me a long time to get all the debris cleaned up and start with a clean slate. We now have statistics dating back to feb. 2010. I have once more added the 'Most active downloaders' column, from which we can see (by clicking the links) that many of the power downloaders are located in China.

A few words about interpreting these numbers.

First of all I make no guarantee that these numbers are 100% accurate. The amount of data trawled is enormous and I have to make educated guesses on what to process and what to ignore. These numbers should be seen as more than an indication.

Next, I strongly suspect that there are many sites who regularly scrape ALL recordings from our site. Because of that, it stands to reason that whoever has the most recordings is always the most downloaded artist. In fact I think these numbers are directly related to the number of tracks on the site. For example my download figure number is roughly 3 times higher than that of Monica, and I have roughly 3 times as many recordings on the site. So really these figures do not prove a lot other than the law of large numbers.

Also, I suspect there are certain sites that have a 'recording of the day/week/month' and play it over and over, directly from the site, thus skyrocketing the numbers for that recording and artist. For example during may, june, and july 2010 someone was really fond of one little item from my Mikrokosmos cycle. In december, an old recording of Chopin's op.66 tops the charts. There seems to be no rule to it, except it seems to happen more for people with lots of recordings. It would be interesting to correlate this to the power downloaders to see who's doing this. An exercise for another day.

Currently, the nightly (midnight European time) process of generating the full stats takes about 15 minutes, and a lot of memory, during which time I could imagine some disruption of services. This will of course slowly increase over time. We'll have to see if and when that becomes a problem. I really need to think about a way to update the statistics each day instead of completely regenerate them. That's for another day also.

If anybody finds any mistakes in the stats (missing/wrong links, duplicates, stuff that should not be there, etc.....) please let me know. I noticed in one page that Bach is listed twice, but with all the Bach transcriptions that doesn't surprise me and I can't be bothered to fix it. Things like double names make maintaining the stats a PITA.

Hm, I see that now the New Recordings list is a bit lame... the artist name is missing. I think I know why and will fix that later today.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:33 pm 

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the news about the progress of this big site. However, to date the stats are still not accessible, are they ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:36 pm 
Site Admin

Yes they are !

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:05 pm 

Statistics look great now, thanks Chris. Also looks like the new recordings list is OK again, complete with artists' names.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:27 pm 

techneut wrote:
Yes they are !

OK, I've found how to access. Thanks for this important work, Chris.

As you mention, some pieces seem to have an unexpected success (something I have long noticed). Also, I find that during december there were about 600,000 downloads, but only 221 downloaders, which makes about 3,000 downloads per downloader ! According to my calculation, if I count 4 minutes as a mean per recording, each one must spend 8x24h00 days to listen those 3,000 tunes... Hence there are only 11 downloaders who downloads more than 100 tunes. As you wrote, there seems to be some robots who are pumping continuously the site. The most efficient one (65.49.37.163) downloaded 121,598 tunes, while there are only about 5,000 recordings. When you love, you don't count :lol: !

Well, finally we have to keep modest about the disemination of the site :? . How many real downloaders, that are people who brose the site, choose some tunes, donwload and listen them ? Apparently less than 200, so more or less as many as people registered as 'artists'. This is in line with the public we find in classical music concerts (at least in Europe): elderly people and younger people, most of them being musicians...

But this does not decrease the value of this site and the people who maintain and feed it ! Viva la musica !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:31 am 
Site Admin

Actually I currently process only the first 300 or so IP addresses I encounter. I did not want that right column to go on forever, and wanted to conserve some memory. It could mean that some power downloaders, and maybe many 'normal' listeners are not shown, and it certainly means that the numbers don't add up as they should. I'll see if I can display them all, or otherwise refine this by showing only the 300 or so BIGGEST downloaders.

Also, we should not assume that all these guys actually listen to the music. Mostly I think just steal them, for whatever reason best understood by themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:40 am 

techneut wrote:
Also, we should not assume that all these guys actually listen to the music. Mostly I think just steal them, for whatever reason best understood by themselves.

Indeed. Weird things happen on the internet. I've seen the Chopin Berceuse from my web site advertised as a "free ringtone" (at least it was free, they weren't trying to sell it for money). Not just a phrase or two, but the entire five minutes of it. I doubt that anyone is actually using it for that purpose.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:56 am 
Site Admin

hanysz wrote:
Indeed. Weird things happen on the internet. I've seen the Chopin Berceuse from my web site advertised as a "free ringtone" (at least it was free, they weren't trying to sell it for money). Not just a phrase or two, but the entire five minutes of it. I doubt that anyone is actually using it for that purpose.

Oh, most PS recordings are being misused as ringtones. These guys just don't care and grab everything they can get. My Iberia Evocacion seems to be very popular despite the nasty slip in the climax. But you never know that anyone isn't indeed using it. Myself, I have Mahler 8th for a ringtone. That will teach people trying to ring me :P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:22 am 

This topic reminds me of a remark made by the famous American humorist Mark Twain. He said: "There are three kinds of lies--lies, damned lies, and statistics." :lol:

In another related matter, I did see someplace on the Internet that my Catoire recordings were available for ring tones. What will they think of next? Maybe they could play the "Etude-fantastique" while attempting to decipher the intuitive icons, the settings, and "user friendly" features of the cell phone?

David

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:32 am 
Site Admin

None of you ever said anything about the nice, new look of our site and forum. Chris put a lot of work into it. Looks great, doesn't it? :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:14 pm 

pianolady wrote:
None of you ever said anything about the nice, new look of our site and forum. Chris put a lot of work into it. Looks great, doesn't it? :)

Yes Monica, I did notice (and liked very much) the new look. Thanks Chris!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:07 pm 

The site's looking very smart.Good to hear the stats are back again.
Just one question.How do you find them?I'm sure they used to be at the bottom of the front page.
Something else I've always wondered about.Is there a link on the board index page to the front page?I haven't found one in the time I've been here and I'm thinking that people who find their way to the forums via a search engine might not realize that there's more here than just the forums.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

We've (okay, Chris...) tried making a link to the home page, but couldn't do it.

To get to the stats:
1. Home page
2. About Piano Society
3. Recording Download Statistics

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:03 pm 

Thanks Monica, your a brick.
In the UK that's a good thing by the way, in case you're wondering. :) In the US too perhaps, I don't know.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:34 pm 

Quote:
Thanks Monica, your a brick ..-.[house].
8) Boy I'm getting old. :(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
We've (okay, Chris...) tried making a link to the home page, but couldn't do it.

AFAIK there was never a link from the forum to the home page, and I did not try to make one.
What I tried is to make the banner on the forum a link to the forum index. That was only half successful (it works only when you click on the images) and then I lost interest.
But it's a good point, we should have link to the main page. I'll need to think about how to do that. Maybe the banner should link to the main page. Because that is what the text of the banner suggests.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:17 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
pianolady wrote:

AFAIK there was never a link from the forum to the home page, and I did not try to make one.
Sorry, Charlie, but there was a link before. Although, it could have been on the old forum - I don't remember exactly.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

timmyab wrote:
Thanks Monica, your a brick.
In the UK that's a good thing by the way, in case you're wondering. :) In the US too perhaps, I don't know.

Ohhhh, actually, here it means that I am fat! :cry: :cry: I like the song, though, Eddy. It's on my Pure Funk album and also on my Ipod "....letting it all hang out..." :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:34 am 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
Sorry, Charlie, but there was a link before. Although, it could have been on the old forum - I don't remember exactly.

Well, neither do I :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:54 am 

Hi,

Yes, I did notice the change in appearance of the website. Looks great! Kudos to Chris.

David