Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Any tips on playing the "Moonlight" sonata 3rd movement?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:35 pm 

hello everybody! I'm participating a piano competition in my school, and I'm choosing "Moonlight" Sonata 3rd movement as my repertoire. So, any tips on playing it? Like how to manage the fingers on the apreggios, or maybe the left hands, how to manage it. thanks! :D

Post subject: Re: Any tips on playing the "Moonlight" sonata 3rd movement?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:52 am 
Site Admin

totentanz wrote:
hello everybody! I'm participating a piano competition in my school, and I'm choosing "Moonlight" Sonata 3rd movement as my repertoire. So, any tips on playing it? Like how to manage the fingers on the apreggios, or maybe the left hands, how to manage it. thanks! :D

Manage the fingers, hmmm... that is a lofty question.
Manage the left hands, hmmmm.... would depend on how many you have of those :lol:

I'd say practice at half speed, without pedal, and do not allow any mistake or imperfection. Once you reach this stage, crank up the tempo and repeat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:27 am 

Hello Totentanz!

I agree with Chris. Everybody ends up over-pedaling this piece. I remember preparing for this movement in a piano competition too when I was 16. Brings back memories...
Manage the hands?... Sounds like your having a problem with tension in this piece. Here are some additional hints:

1. Initially play the arpeggios as solid chords. Get the muscle memory of each finger on each note. Change positions fast as you move up. Each hand should be perfect separately before you build up tempo.
2. Maintain curved fingers in both hands.
2. Make sure the fingering is iron clad and comfortable. If you screw up in the same section, change the fingering.
3. Practice hand separately and in small sections: the movement is roughly divided into blocks of 4 measure phrases.
4. Practice ff on your arpeggios with exaggerated rhythmic accents. Know what notes the accents lie. Start slow tempo.
5. Try practicing the arpeggios and scale passages by altering the rhythm - quartet, triple and 1 long, subdividing beats, etc. This helps to nail down the fast runs, evenly and smooth.
6. Allow for your hands to rest in those ascending scales as much as possible to minimize tension.
7. Don't play this piece flat. After you mast the notes, tempo, you need a lot of dynamic contrast in this movement. pp to ff, big crescendos/decrescendos. Don't forget the singing line in the 2nd theme too and don't over-pedal!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:29 pm 

Thank you so much! I'll try to apply that! My teacher is guiding me so I have less difficulties in maintaining all of them. But by the way thank you very much for the tips!