Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: 8 Oriental Etudes for piano
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:17 pm 

Hey, I have known about this site for some amount of time, but I have only lurked around until now. I'm from Singapore, and I compose only out of interest with no formal education to my name (though I did learn the piano under classical grounds). I see that the site's vision is pretty noble, and thus I've decided to try a little and show my etudes for feedback. Constructive criticism is much appreciated, since I do not have a wide pool of learned listeners who comment on my works.

1. Chant of the Inari (link)

To see the rest, look at my channel. I have only uploaded four as of the moment though, due to want of time. The language is... odd; it is not overtly classical but rather melodies and harmonies you would find in an easy-listening piece by Bandari treated in a more classical and complex manner. I hope that you can enjoy them, I guess.

Post subject: Re: 8 Oriental Etudes for piano
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:40 pm 
Site Admin

I like nos. 1,2, and 4 of your set, especially no.1. Nice stuff, vigorous, rhythmic, and purposeful. No.3 is a bit of a dud IMO, or maybe I just expected something different going by the title. Your endings are disappointing and perfunctory though. You may want to work on that !
I understand these recordings are midi-generated ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:47 pm 

Thank you very much for your comments. Yes... sadly they are midi-generated due to their technical difficulties and slightly pianistically unkind tendencies. And yes, I think a few have commented on the endings a little bit, especially for number 1, so I will look for a solution if I can, though I am pretty happy with the second and third's ending. As for number 3, it is significantly more pop than all the other etudes, and I can understand the rather premature climax being at odds with the introduction a little bit, so perhaps that might need a little work too (though that's like a firefly).

In any case, if you are still interested, here are three more etudes...

5. Dialogue between Sparrow and Fox
6. Stories of a Sighing Willow
7. Journeying through the Grand Orient

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

Very entertaining stuff ! If we had not decided to stay clear of MIDI-generated music I would welcome these on the site.
Again I find the endings sort of let the pieces down a bit, especially in nos. 6 and 7, less so in no.5. As midi-pieces go, these sound rather good. But you must be very careful with trills, like at the end of no.6, which tend to produce a nasty oscillation.
BTW - What's that 'Spoon River' quote doing in no.7 ? That is a North-American country tune, or so Percy Grainger writes in the foreword of his piano adaptation.