Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Chopin mazurka op33/2
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:52 pm 

Hi Guys ,

I did this one over 13 takes. This time I have slashed my tempo from 2.52(shocking play) down to 2.20(vivace). And You would not beleive, I practiced with metronone..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:50 pm 

I see, that you come already back to that Mazurka. Regarding rhythm it gets better now, so there are improvements.

Allow me some suggestions netherveless. The ornaments in the beginning phrase bar 2, 6 and following you mostly play without hitting the main note at the end. Also in bar 3, 11 and similar you don't play the last note of the RH melody line. Because of this the melody sounds a bit jolty.
Why do you speed up in the b flat major part starting at bar 49? Those bars are especially tricky, I would take all the time you need.
In the really difficult part starting at bar 65 you still play the RH not as trioles, instead 8th notes so that the left hand second quarter comes together with the 3rd note of the triole instead. This was already notified to you in earlier recordings of that, together with a picture showing it, IIRC.

Seems so that this difficult mazurka is not your very best friend still right now, but it gets better and better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

I too was going to suggest this was better rhythmically, until the middle section where you do some decidedly weird things with the rhythm. Just. Play. In. Time. Please. Blurting out notes at twice the speed is not rubato.

Apart from that, as Olaf already remarked, you leave out a lot of notes, not just in the ornaments. My suggestion is to treat this like an etude (it is very, very difficult), practice slowly, in strict tempo, get all the notes in, and get them right. I would not be afraid to use a little pedal in places too.

Yes it's better than the previous version, but seems like there is some way to go yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:43 pm 

Right, you beat me to it Chris...I will never give up on this mazurka due to my defect genes.

Just face it, I need to correct my errors NOW or something wrong with my readings.
For B section, the trilos, I treated it as a triplet in the first beat and spread the three notes evenly. And the RH second beat D goes together with the LH second beat right??? Are you saying that I am playing a bit too fast in the triplets and it sounded like 1/8?

For bar two first beat as Olaf pointed out the second time...I am playing the rh first beat with C#- D- C#(2) are you saying the main notes c#(2) should hit harder or hold longer??? I played it as c# d C#(2). Tell me what went wrong here.....
i need to recitfy the problem........

Ps, you are right about the pedal, for some reason I dnt use it as much as I should???only the first beat../ its a typical johnmars XXXXXx playing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with what Chris and Olaf said. I think it's the ornaments that are your main problem. Also, your left hand sounds a bit too heavy.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:50 pm 

Thanks
I need to pin down that third ornament for a longer value. And cut down my LH. This is the result of revolutionary study..haaaa no excuse johnmar....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
I think it's the ornaments that are your main problem.

It is definitely so. They do not come out well and the reason is that you make them too short. Listen to a professional recording and you will understand how it is supposed to sound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:41 pm 

got it. I need hold it longer......dammmmmmm fourth finger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:49 am 

About the fourth finger, the problem isn't so much one of producing downward force but rather one of eliminating excess upward force (from tensing the top of the forearm). This mazurka poses a similar difficulty one encounters in Chopin's 10/2: how to balance the fourth finger's opposing muscles when crossing over the fifth finger. It's not so hard to push the fourth finger as it is to lift it. Lifting the fourth finger any appreciable distance in isolation is virtually impossible; lifting it along with the third finger is easy. Be sure not to lock down your third finger when playing the op33/2. I hope that helps.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:18 am 
Site Admin

PJF wrote:
This mazurka poses a similar difficulty one encounters in Chopin's 10/2: how to balance the fourth finger's opposing muscles when crossing over the fifth finger.

Chopin does this pretty often in all different genres (even in left hand) so it can be worth practising if one plan to play a lot Chopin.